#ThrowbackThursday – Season 1966/67

By Robert Exley

A look back at Arsenal’s campaign of 50 years ago

There have been many names forwarded to take over from Arsene Wenger when he finally leaves the club, though one name that probably won’t be suggested is Colin Lewin. Few people in their right mind would consider promoting the club Physiotherapist as First Team manager, however in 1966 this is exactly what happened at Highbury. On June 13th 1966, Billy Wright resigned as Arsenal boss after four unsuccessful years in charge at Highbury. Forty six year old Bertie Mee was then appointed acting manager within a week.

It was common knowledge that Bertie was so unsure of his future position that he had asked the board for assurances that he could have his old job as physio back should things not work out. The role was initially accepted on a trial period. Mee was a relative unknown outside of those within the game. He did however hold notoriety with people within the game and within the club. Bertie was known for exercising a strict discipline regime with recovering injured players, as well as providing FA run lectures on injury treatment to other club physios at Lilleshall. Mee was a disciplinarian and one telling observation he made on his taking over at Highbury had been that: ‘the players were a good crowd, but I felt they could be more dedicated to the job and certainly could care more for the Arsenal. The danger was that mediocrity was being perpetrated’.

What Mee had in discipline however, he lacked in coaching expertise. On Billy Wright’s exit, his coach Les Shannon left Highbury to take up a vacant manager’s job at Bury. In his place came former Chelsea coach and Leyton Orient boss Dave Sexton – who Frank McLintock had noted had the gift of: ‘getting through to players without shouting the odds and screaming at them’. While Mee was appointed in the summer of 1966, England were in the process of challenging for – and winning - the World Cup on home soil. Arsenal had just one unused player within the squad, George Eastham. On Billy Wright’s exit however, Eastham decided to move on and joined Tony Waddington’s Stoke City. Meanwhile, Bertie Mee’s first signing had been Tommy Coakley from Motherwell.

One legacy of Billy Wright’s period at the helm however would be reaching back to back FA Youth Cup Finals. In 1965, Arsenal lost 2-3 to Everton over two legs. In 1966 however, Arsenal defeated Sunderland 5-3 on aggregate to win the trophy for the first time. Future first team regulars within the squad were full backs Pat Rice and Sammy Nelson. Another legacy as seen from the pic above, is that since the start of the 1965/66 Arsenal had dropped the white sleeves that were incorporated into their Red kit under Herbert Chapman back in 1933, wearing a simple all red shirt with a white collar and cuffs. Arsenal’s away kit for 1966/67 meanwhile would be an almost Spurs-like all white kit.

Arsenal’s first pre-season friendlies were two games played behind closed doors at their London Colney training ground. The first had been at the end of July against an England XI just a few days before their World Cup Final tie with the West Germans at Wembley, the second was against third tier Watford in early August where Arsenal ran out 2-1 winners. England won the World Cup the following Saturday. On August 5th 1966, the Beatles released their ground breaking ‘Revolver’ album. One day later, Arsenal took a trip to Ibrox to play Rangers for Bertie Mee’s first game in charge in front of a paying audience. Arsenal crashed to a 0-2 defeat in front of a crowd of 40,000. Forty eight hours on, Arsenal headed to Dunfermline to play out a 0-0 draw in front of 8,000 people.

On the last Saturday before the start of the 1966/67 league season, Arsenal headed to Leeds Road to play a friendly with Huddersfield Town of the old Second Division. A goal from Jon Sammels gave Arsenal a 1-0 win. Seven days later came the start of the League campaign with a trip to Roker Park to play Sunderland. Goals for George Armstrong and two for Alan Skirton gave Arsenal a 3-1 victory. Bertie Mee’s first game at Highbury the following Tuesday saw the visit of West Ham, with a side that contained World Cup winning heroes Bobby Moore, Martin Peters and Geoff Hurst. A crowd of 40,614 turned out for the game. Goals for Tommy Baldwin and John Radford gave Arsenal a 2-1 victory with Johnny Byrne on target for the Hammers.

The following Saturday saw the crowd shrink back down to 26,762 for the visit of Aston Villa. The game was captured by the ITN cameras, as another for Tommy Baldwin meant a 1-0 win for Arsenal and three wins on the bounce. Forty eight hours on, Arsenal made the eight mile trip to Upton Park to play West Ham at the Boleyn Ground. Arsenal dropped their first points of the season with Bobby Moore and Peter Brabrook on target for the Hammers and goals for Frank McLintock and Jon Sammels as Arsenal secured a 2-2 draw. Meanwhile, a few hours later over at Candlestick Park in San Francisco, the Beatles played their last ever gig. Arsenal ended August 1966 in second place, only kept off of the top spot by Burnley on goal average. After a good start to the season however, Arsenal began to lose form.

The first game of September 1966 was a visit to White Hart Lane to play fourth place Spurs in front of a crowd of 56,271. Goals for Cliff Jones and two for Jimmy Greaves inflicted a 1-3 defeat, while Jon Sammels was on target for Arsenal. Next up three days on was a visit from the previous year’s defeated FA Cup Finalists Sheffield Wednesday. The Owls were unbeaten with three wins and two draws. A goal for Jon Sammels earned Arsenal a 1-1 draw. The following Saturday, Arsenal headed to Maine Road to face newly promoted Man City, managed by former Arsenal Captain Joe Mercer and his flamboyant assistant Malcolm Allison. Ahead of Arsenal’s visit, the Blues had suffered three straight defeats. Another goal for Jon Sammels cancelled out a Glynn Pardoe strike as the two sides played out a 1-1 draw. Forty eight hours on, forward Alan Skirton had transferred to Blackpool.

The following day, after six seasons of avoiding entry to the Football League Cup, the pull of the Final of the competition being played at Wembley and a guarantee of Fairs Cup qualification meant that the Gunners decided to give the trophy a crack. Arsenal played their first ever fixture in the competition with a visit from third tier Gillingham. Just eighteen months prior, Arsenal were knocked out of the FA Cup to Peterborough United and fears were present that Arsenal might face another shock. Only 13,029 spectators turned out for the tie at Highbury. The Gills went in at half time a goal up, after a twenty five shot from Charlie Crickmore found the net. A goal from Tommy Baldwin spared Arsenal’s blushes, taking the tie to a replay. Making his final competitive appearance for Arsenal at right back that evening was Don Howe.

Back in the league, next up were thirteenth place Blackpool, who were one place above Arsenal in the league on goal average. Making his debut for Arsenal was Colin Addison, who had been signed from Nottingham Forest earlier in the month. Tommy Coakley’s first goal for Arsenal earned the Gunners a 1-1 draw. There then followed a trip to the Medway to face Gillingham in the League Cup replay. The replay attracted a crowd of 20,566 – seven thousand more than turned out at Highbury. The match however was played out in thick fog. Charlie Rackstraw put the Gills ahead past the hour mark, before Tommy Baldwin equalised to take the game to a second replay back at Highbury.

The final league fixture of September 1966 was a visit to Stamford Bridge to face Tommy Docherty’s Chelsea side. Arsenal had only managed one win from their last eleven games against the Blues. In front of a crowd of 48,001, goals for Peter Osgood and two for Bobby Tambling meant a 1-3 defeat for Arsenal, with Colin Addison on target for the Gunners – his first goal for Arsenal. That defeat meant that Arsenal ended September 1966 in tenth place. Four days later back at Highbury, Gillingham visited for the League Cup second replay with a crowd of just 18,409 turning out. Arsenal finally bagged their first win in just over one month with a 5-0 victory secured with goals from Tommy Coakley and two apiece for Frank McLintock and Tommy Baldwin.

October 1966 started with a visit from Leicester City to Highbury. Lining up for the Gunners had been George Graham, who just one week prior had been on the Chelsea side that faced Arsenal at Stamford Bridge. GG headed to Highbury in a swap deal with Tommy Baldwin going the other way, whose two goals against Gillingham in midweek turned out to be his farewell present for the Gunners. GG managed a goal on his debut, along with another from Colin Addison, but couldn’t prevent the Foxes inflicting a 2-4 defeat on the Gunners. Within days, Arsenal however went on to strengthen their side further by signing Bob McNab from Huddersfield Town. Four days later, West Ham visited Highbury for the third round League Cup tie.

The tie had meant a debut for seventeen year old John Woodward and eighteen year old FA Youth Cup winner Micky Boot. Goals for Martin Peters and two for Geoff Hurst saw Arsenal face their first ever elimination from the League Cup with a 1-3 defeat, while David Jenkins would be on target for the Gunners. After failing to win their last six games in the League, Arsenal faced a visit from Newcastle United to Highbury. The game would feature on BBC’s ‘Match of the Day’ – which now for the first time this season was shown in front of a wider national audience on BBC1 on Saturday evenings at 10.30PM (this would however be Arsenal’s only appearance on the show throughout the 1966/67 season).

Two minutes into his League debut, Micky Boot put Arsenal ahead (according to Kenneth Wolstenholme he was threatening to quit the game just a few months prior!). On twenty five minutes Frank McLintock added a second, as Arsenal secured their first win since August with a 2-0 victory. Arsenal secured two points, however no great transformation in the Gunners’ form occurred. Next up was a trip to Elland Road to face Leeds United. There would be a debut for Bob McNab and another goal for Micky Boot, but Arsenal crashed to a 1-3 defeat. After Boot’s run of two goals in four games, he disappeared from the first team squad and was sold to South African side Port Elizabeth City the following March, having never played top level football again.

Another seven days on back at Highbury, two goals for George Armstrong was not enough to prevent a 2-3 home defeat to West Brom. The month ended with a trip to Old Trafford to face sixth place Man United. A goal for David Sadler inflicted a 0-1 loss on the Gunners, which meant the Gunners finished October 1966 in fifteenth place. Arsenal’s first fixture of November 1966 saw a visit from Leeds United to Highbury on the day of Guy Fawkes Night. Don Revie’s side were languishing in twelfth place and had won just four of their first thirteen games. Arsenal lacked sparkle and crashed to a 0-1 defeat. There followed a 0-0 draw one week later away at eleventh place Everton.

Three days on from Goodison, Arsenal were to play Cardiff City in a friendly fixture to raise money for the Aberfan Disaster Fund. To those unaware of the circumstances of the Aberfan Disaster, around three weeks prior to the Benefit match with Cardiff, there had been several days of heavy rain which led to the collapse of a colliery spoil tip within the small Welsh village of Aberfan that had accumulated over half a century. As a result, 1.4 million cubic feet of debris covered a section of the village in minutes, which had led to the deaths of 144 people. 116 of those who perished had been school children, as the debris had engulfed the Pantglas Junior School just hours before the school was to break up for half term holidays.

In the benefit match itself, goals for Frank McLintock, Colin Addison and two for John Radford meant a 4-2 win for Arsenal. Also as a result of this match, Arsenal later signed Cardiff forward George Johnston. The following weekend, a goal from Frank McLintock gave Arsenal a 1-0 win at home to relegation threatened Fulham – only their third victory in just under three months. Highlights of the game would feature on ATV London’s ‘Star Soccer’, though no ATV footage for the 1966/67 season seems to be available on the internet’s video sharing websites (and knowing archiving policies of British TV stations during the 1960s, may even possibly have been wiped altogether). In Arsenal’s final fixture of November 1966 however, the Gunners were unable to put together a winning run.

1965 FA Youth Cup finalist Gordon Neilsen bagged his first goal for Arsenal, however it was not enough to prevent Arsenal crashing to a 1-2 defeat to Nottingham Forest at the City Ground. Arsenal ended November in fifteenth place. December 1966 started with two draws – a goalless encounter with third place Burnley at Highbury (highlights of which were covered by ATV’s ‘Star Soccer’) had been followed by a 1-1 draw with ninth place Sheffield United at Bramall Lane. Sheffield United’s colours of red and white meant for the first time since the 1950 FA Cup Final, Arsenal were required to wear a third kit. Arsenal turned out in blue for the first time in eight seasons. At Bramall Lane, George Graham bagged his first goal since scoring on his debut. At the half way mark of 1966/67, Arsenal languished in sixteenth place in the old First Division.

There then however came a run of seven wins out of nine for Bertie Mee’s side. Nine days ahead of Christmas 1966 saw the visit of Sunderland to Highbury, with a crowd of just 20,482 turning out for the game. Goals for Frank McLintock and Jon Sammels gave Arsenal a 2-0 victory. On Boxing Day, newly promoted Southampton faced their first ever trip to Highbury. The only other previous meeting between Arsenal and Southampton at this point had been an FA Cup Semi Final at Stamford Bridge in 1927, where an Arsenal victory saw the Gunners progress to their first ever FA Cup Final. Two goals apiece for George Armstrong and John Radford saw Arsenal run out 4-1 winners, while Ron Davies would be on target for the Saints.

Twenty four hours on saw Arsenal’s first visit to the Dell in their return fixture with Southampton. The Gunners crashed to a 1-2 defeat, with future Brighton boss Jimmy Melia and Terry Paine on target for Southampton, while Colin Addison scored for Arsenal. This match would also be the tenth and final appearance in an Arsenal shirt for Jimmy McGill. Arsenal’s final game during the calendar year of 1966 came with a trip to play Aston Villa at Villa Park on New Year’s Eve. A goal for Frank McLintock earned Arsenal a 1-0 victory. A goal for Frank McLintock gave Arsenal a 1-0 win (this would be the last fixture between Arsenal and the Villa for the next eight years, after the Midlanders suffered relegation at the end of 1966/67 and a spiral down the divisions).

Arsenal finished the calendar year of 1966 in fourteenth place. Arsenal’s first fixture of 1967 would be the visit of Spurs to Highbury, highlights of which featured on ATV’s ‘Star Soccer’. Goals for Alan Gilzean and Jimmy Robertson inflicted a 0-2 defeat on the Gunners to push Spurs up to seventh in the table. One week later however, Arsenal got back to winning ways. Seventeenth place Mercer and Allison’s Man City visited Highbury. A goal by Frank McLintock earned Arsenal a 1-0 win. The third and final league fixture of January 1967 saw a trip to bottom of the table Blackpool. Goals for Gordon Neilson and two for Jon Sammels gave Arsenal a comprehensive 3-0 victory.

The game would be the final appearance of Welshman Tom Walley, before his transfer to Watford. Arsenal rounded off January 1967 with an away trip to Bristol Rovers in the third round of the FA Cup. It turned out to be back to back 3-0 away wins for Arsenal, as goals for George Armstrong, George Graham and Gordon Neilsen saw the Gunners progress to the next round. The trip to the West Country however saw Arsenal fans accused by an ITN News report of hooliganism and vandalism of the Football Special train, which caused £500’s worth of damage.

Back in the League, seven days on Arsenal’s very first fixture of February 1967 was a visit from Chelsea to Highbury, which was covered by ATV’s ‘Star Soccer’. The Gunners ended the hoodoo which the Blues held over them, as goals for George Armstrong and George Graham against his old club earned Arsenal a 2-1 victory. This was their first over Chelsea for just under five years and their first home victory over the Blues in nine years, which pushed Arsenal up to tenth place at the start of the month. One week on, Arsenal’s winning run would be disrupted by a 1-2 defeat to Leicester City at Filbert Street, with Derek Dougan and Mike Stringfellow on target for the Foxes, while George Graham would score for Arsenal.

The Gunners then travelled to Burden Park to face second tier Bolton Wanderers in the fourth round of the FA Cup. The tie ended in a goalless draw. Three days later back at Highbury, Arsenal ran out comprehensive 3-0 winners, with a hat-trick for John Radford. February 1967 however was to end in defeat for Arsenal, after a trip to St.James’s Park to play Newcastle United ended in a 1-2 defeat, with Dave Hilley and Wyn Davies on target for Newcastle, while George Graham would again be on target for the Gunners. Gordon Neilson would also make his final appearance for Arsenal that afternoon. Despite that loss, the run of eight victories over their last twelve games was enough to convince the Arsenal board to appoint Bertie Mee as permanent boss on March 2nd 1967.

His first game after being confirmed as manager would be to face title chasing Man United at Highbury. Since Boxing Day, Man United’s run of form had been to win all games at home, while drawing all games away. A mammoth 63,563 crowd turned out for the occasion, as well as the fact that the game was also beamed back to a crowd of 28,000 at Old Trafford by CCTV, meaning a simultaneous audience in excess of 91,000 – at that point a record live audience for a league fixture. Arsenal took the lead with a first half penalty converted by Jon Sammels, before John Aston equalised ten minutes into the second half. The game end in a 1-1 draw, which meant that Arsenal climbed to thirteenth, while United held a one point cushion over Bill Shankly’s Liverpool.

Buoyed by avoiding defeat to Man United, Arsenal headed to St. Andrews to face Birmingham City of the old Second Division, in the fifth round of the FA Cup in confident mood that they might be on the road to securing their first trophy for fourteen years. However, an eighty third minute header from Geoff Bowden secured Birmingham City’s path to the last eight, to inflict a 0-1 defeat and another trophy-less season on the Gunners. The Midlanders would be drawn against Spurs in the next round, but would find themselves eliminated to that year’s eventual FA Cup winners. For the remaining eleven games of the season however, Arsenal would fail to lose a game.

One week after their FA Cup defeat, Arsenal were back in the midlands to face a relegation threatened West Brom at the Hawthorns. A goal for Frank McLintock earned Arsenal a 1-0 win which pushed them to twelfth in the table. On Easter Saturday, thirteenth place Sheffield United came to Highbury to face Arsenal, with the Gunners only above the Blades on goal average. Goals for Frank McLintock and Jon Sammels earned a 2-0 victory in front of 23,000 spectators. On Easter Monday, Arsenal headed to Anfield to face Bill Shankly’s Liverpool side. The Reds were still in the hunt for the League title and on Easter Saturday were held to a 0-0 draw at Anfield with table topping Man United, who held a two point gap over Liverpool.

Once again, Arsenal held Bill Shankly’s side to a goalless draw. Twenty four hours on, Liverpool came to Highbury for the return fixture. Goals for Arsenal’s George Graham and Liverpool’s Alf Arrowsmith meant that match ended in a 1-1 draw. With seven games left to play, Liverpool had dropped to third place and three points behind Man United. Arsenal meanwhile, by the end of March 1967 were now up to ninth in the old First Division with seven games left to play. The following Saturday was Arsenal’s first fixture for April, with a visit to the Victoria Ground to play Stoke City. Two goals for George Graham earned the Gunners a 2-2 draw.

After four games within seven days, Arsenal then went the next eighteen days without a competitive fixture, due games rearranged for FA Cup fixtures. In the meantime, Arsenal played two friendly fixtures. First up was a trip to the Valley to play Charlton Athletic, who were fighting a relegation battle at the bottom of the second tier. In front of 7,821 spectators, the two sides played out a 0-0 draw, with Bob Wilson making his first appearance of the season in goal, in place of Jim Furnell. There then followed the postponement of Arsenal’s league fixture due to England’s meeting with Scotland in the Home International Championship (doubling up as a Euro ’68 qualifier) at Wembley.

The night before the England v Scotland fixture, Arsenal were hoping to attract some of Scotland’s Wembley club following for a benefit game for former Arsenal star from the thirties, Bill Seddon, at Highbury against Scottish side Dunfermline. A goal from Bob McNab and a penalty from Terry Neill earned Arsenal a 2-1 win. Arsenal’s return to the League came with a trip to play Fulham at Craven Cottage on Wednesday April 19th 1967. In front of a crowd of 27,690, the two sides played out a goalless draw. The following weekend, Arsenal played out their fifth draw in a row, with a visit from title chasing Nottingham Forest. Highlights of the game were captured by ATV’s ‘Star Soccer’. A goal from Peter Storey earned Arsenal a 1-1 draw, with his near namesake – Ian Storey Moore – on target for Forest.

The following Tuesday, Arsenal faced a visit from Everton. The Gunners managed their first victory for a month as goals for George Graham, Frank McLintock and Jon Sammels earned Arsenal a 3-1 win, with Jimmy Gabriel on target for the Toffees. The following Saturday, Arsenal ended April 1967 with a visit to Turf Moor to face Burnley. The scoring was opened with a specular overhead kick from Colin Addison. Further goals from George Armstrong, George Graham and Peter Storey earned Arsenal thumping 4-1 win. In the midweek, Arsenal played a home friendly fixture with Cypriot side Apoel Nicosia. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, with Jon Sammels on target for the Gunners.

The final home fixture of the season saw a visit from Stoke City to Highbury. Arsenal’s penultimate fixture of 1966/67 ended in a 3-1 victory with Frank McLintock and John Radford on target, as well as a Stoke City own goal. Bertie Mee’s first season would end with a visit to Hillsborough to face twelfth place Sheffield Wednesday. The fixture had little in the way of meaning for either side. Making his final appearance in an Arsenal shirt would be 1966 FA Youth Cup winner John Woodward. George Graham was on target for the Gunners, who played out a 1-1 draw and finished the season a respectable seventh place – Arsenal’s first top half finish for three seasons, which kind of indicated that things were on an upward trajectory, though fourteen points behind that season’s champions Man United, under a two points for a win system.

Forty eight hours on from the final League fixture, Arsenal headed to non-League Romford for a friendly fixture. Goals for George Johnston and two for Colin Addison meant a 3-1 win. There then followed an end of season tour of Cyprus. While Spurs and Chelsea played out the very first all London FA Cup Final at Wembley, Arsenal faced Omonia Nicosia and racked up a 4-1 victory with goals for Tommy Coakley, David Jenkins, George Armstrong and George Johnston coming off from the bench. Four days later, Arsenal met Appollon Nicosia where goals for Bob McNab, John Radford, Terry Neill, George Graham, Jon Sammels and two for Colin Addison meant a 7-0 hammering of the Cypriot side (Arsenal were already six goals to the good by half time!).

On 26th May 1967, the Beatles released their famed ‘Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band’ album. Meanwhile, Arsenal’s tour of Cyprus concluded with John Radford scoring in a 1-1 draw Apoel and on the last day of May 1967, goals for Terry Neil and Don Howe securing a 2-0 victory over NEA Salamis. Don Howe had found his first team chances restricted after breaking a leg the previous season. After the close of the 1966/67 season, Howe had retired from playing and took up a position on the coaching staff as Arsenal reserve team coach.

1966/67 had been a moderately successful first season for Bertie Mee. Though actual trophy wins were still a way off, as will be seen tomorrow, incremental progress would be made, with Arsenal’s first domestic Cup Final appearance for sixteen years to follow in 1967/68.

Robert Exley can be found on Twitter and is the editor of Upstart Football, whose #ThrowbackThursday edition this week covers a review of the Euro ’68 Championships with all available video links.

15th June 2017 13:13:51


Comments and Reaction

User comments on this article are now closed. If you want to continue the debate, why not do so on the Gooner Forum.

peter wain  13:38pm 15th Jun 2017

it was Geoff Vowden not Bowden who scored for Birmingham. It was a header which went in off the post. Lost the following year to them if I remember correctly - Post No. 108054

TonyEvans  14:44pm 15th Jun 2017

As always a good read. Funny to think of my 6 year old self back then being blissfully unaware of the spell Arsenal would cast over me in 1970 (and Wenger would uncast in about 2009!). - Post No. 108055

Badarse  14:48pm 15th Jun 2017

Thank you for re-hashing the memories, Robert. Over the last year and a half I have enjoyed all that you have written. I wonder if any of those 'old' men who berated the brilliant Jon Sammels have read and cringed at his early goal returns-and of course those of McLintock in his prime. Over half a century ago, wow! What was that then? That was your life, mate. Do I get another? Nope, that's it mate. @Ron, listening to 'our girl' Beth, remarkable voice, and the hot guitar of Joe Bonamassa. - Post No. 108056

Exeter Ex  15:05pm 15th Jun 2017

Interesting that Mee recognised he didn't have the coaching expertise and so brought it in. Contrast with now. Of course, Wenger doesn't instill the discipline either: "Work it out for yourselves. Play when you want. Fancy the coldest months off? That's fine. Just put together a little run when it warms up in April and I'll sing your praises and improve your contract". - Post No. 108057

Yes its Ron  15:21pm 15th Jun 2017

Baddie - if yr into yr blues guitar have a listen to some Eric Gales as well. You may have heard him. Hes brilliant. I personally rate him higher than Joe B, though Joes a top lad. He plays a good gig with BH doesnt he. Good stuff! Robert - great article. Enjoyed that. As a bit of a kid i recall the shock of the Saturday afternoon sport reporters when they said Arsenal had 'won again' after that 1-0 v Villa. The early to mid 60s were poor times for Arsenal but there was a lot of good stuff too. Not near enough in any book is there enough said about AFC from that period i always think. - Post No. 108058

Badarse  15:21pm 15th Jun 2017

'So Greavsie, what do think of the contract?'-"Well Saint, I fink it's all about numbers, mate."-'Aye, but how do you work that out?'-"Well it stands to reason as it's 2 years, so it's 24 months, or 104 weeks, which is 730 days, also 17,520 hours, and it's also 1,051,200 minutes, and believe it or not 63, 072,000 seconds."-'So what are you saying Greavsie?'-"Well Saint, I reckon he has done a number on the moaners."-'Oh Greavsie, you kill me.'-"Yeah well, It's a funny ol' game, Saint." - Post No. 108059

Yes its Ron  15:34pm 15th Jun 2017

just checking the pic. front row Sammels Ure Neill Geordie and ? Is it Colin Addison? back row - Simmo, ? , Furnell, Frank Mac,? , GG. Baddie - help me out matey? Who are the ? mark players? - Post No. 108060

Exeter Ex  15:40pm 15th Jun 2017

Rev. Brian - sorry to temporarily impinge on your continued revelment in Archbishop of Alsace's ongoing tenure with vaguely injurious comments, I know how they hurt you personally. Your bond with the Archbishop is deep, though tragically unrequited. But maybe he'll notice you over the next two years? So you must respond to all such comments, mustn't you? Of course you must, just in case he notices. But have you considered instead asking the Churchwarden to switch off the monitor when such terribly unfair words appear, so to save you such pain? There again, he forgot to switch it back on again last time, didn't he, and you had no choice but to sit there staring at a blank screen for 18 months. - Post No. 108061

mbg  15:52pm 15th Jun 2017

Imagine TOF's face when being told the physio is taking over from you,(now there's an idea, i'm sure lewin sees what we all do and has done for years, and he could certainly say the same as Bertie about the pansie nice boys at the club now) I can see his bottom lip trembling and turning blue from here, what a blow to his ego that would be, as if he hasn't had enough already with the loss of his precious so called CL Qualifying record and Thursday nights C5. wenger out. - Post No. 108062

Badarse  15:56pm 15th Jun 2017

Ron, thanks for the heads up on Eric Gales-I just went to put the kettle on and slid, eyes closed across the floor. Great sound-probably heard him but unaware of where or when. Thanks again pal. Cannot help with the photo though. You are correct in those you have named but the others are difficult to pin down, and yes I think it is Addison. The lad in the tracksuit is also a mystery to me, sorry chum. Eggman, I shall explain why I am back soon, a bit early to divulge yet; in the meantime you need to recruit a new scriptwriter, buddy. Now with me, 'There's only one JC...' - Post No. 108063

Badarse  16:12pm 15th Jun 2017

mbg I assume that not only do you not have any gay friends, it seems evident that you never have. Incidentally the position of being disrespectful to gays is a DUP tenet, isn't it? Well as every day is a Mayday for the nasty party, the new title of the alliance has a ring of jeff wright about it, don't you think? The MayDUP alliance. Policed again! - Post No. 108064

Exeter Ex  16:33pm 15th Jun 2017

Reverend, please don't trouble yourself to explain. No really, don't. And try to cover your jealousy up a bit better. - Post No. 108065

mbg  16:37pm 15th Jun 2017

Exeter, indeed, I wonder would Colin lewin have the same foresight if apponted? He surely couldn't have the same ego and arrogance as the old past it archbishop of AKB's. We want wenger out. - Post No. 108066

Badarse  16:39pm 15th Jun 2017

Eggman you are so funny; forget employing a new scriptwriter. You really love it, that I am back don't you? Go on admit it. Just in case the forgetfulness is increasing I shall remind you, across the whole of blue southern England there are four spots of red, Canterbury, Brighton, Hove, and Exeter. See I'm good at numbers aren't I? - Post No. 108067

A Cornish Gooner  16:49pm 15th Jun 2017

B/R McNab Simpson Storey Furnell McLintock Addison Graham F/R Sammels Ure Neill Armstrong Gordon Neilson. SO pleased you're back Badarsewipe. No really. I was with my wife when I read your first post back. She asked me why I was crying. I said they were tears of joy and tears of laughter for your side-splitting humour. You seem a changed man too. Not a hint of pomposity, sanctimony, hypocrisy or antagonism, in any of your fifteen thousand words so far. Your Chinese post brought back happy memories of the humour of my schooldays as an eight year old. Hope you don't mind the new moniker. I know you like to use different monikers to the other posters on here. It's only a laugh isn't it. I've left the commas out of the team above. See if you can work out where they go. I know you like that sort of puzzle. Speak to you soon Baddie. Love from your BFF Cornish. - Post No. 108068

mbg  16:50pm 15th Jun 2017

woof woof and so quickly too he must have been waiting at the garden gate, LOL. - Post No. 108069

Exeter Ex  17:02pm 15th Jun 2017

I'm pleased about those spots of red, Brian, but I see why you're trying to change the subject. Back to why you departed. Let's recap. You (and Westlower and others) all disappeared during the period that Arsenal's title 'challenge' wilted in the face of relentless pressure from the mighty Leicester. Now, just after Wenger signs on for another two years, you return. Mere coincidence, of course. Just how credulous do you think people on here are? The credulity is yours, season after season after season. - Post No. 108070

A Cornish Gooner  17:07pm 15th Jun 2017

AW “You will know soon. Very soon. You will see. But today I’m not necessarily worrying about that.” Badarsewipe "I shall explain why I am back soon, a bit early to divulge yet" - Post No. 108071

mbg  17:25pm 15th Jun 2017

Cornish, it won't be easy, but saying that he's back, arse all healed, and an even bigger expert in everything going than he was before he should work it out. We want wenger out. - Post No. 108072

1962er  20:51pm 15th Jun 2017

Fantastic summery of the season, I was there watching most of the matches from the North Bank, but, as surely everyone knows, Sgt Pepper was released on 1.6.67, not in May. I think Rob you have just muddled up with the 50th anniversary issue. - Post No. 108073

mbg  23:40pm 15th Jun 2017

Cornish, yes, did you ever hear anyone as condescending ? (well apart from the weasel)as if we all want to know,i doubt very much there is anyone who cares or gives a f**k he hasn't learned much. We want wenger out. - Post No. 108074

Robert Exley  1:09am 16th Jun 2017

1962er - according to Wikipedia Sergeant Pepper was released on 26th May in the UK and 1st June in the USA. I'm afraid I had to take their word for it on account of not being born at the time - Post No. 108075

Badarse  6:28am 16th Jun 2017

Robert correct. I went to Shepherd's Bush market on the Saturday and bought it. 'It was 70 years ago today, Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play.' - Post No. 108076

Hi Berry  7:09am 16th Jun 2017

..and just to confirm, albums and singles used to be released on Fridays (26th May being one) in those heady days of the sixties, presumably to get maximum sales from the busy weekend period. Not sure exactly when the change took place but the record companies cottoned on to the fact that moving releases to Mondays would get a full week's sales figures in which would result in higher entries in the end of week charts. The Beatles, of course, could have delayed any of their releases until four o'clock on a Saturday and still been number one in the following day's chart. - Post No. 108077

peter wain  12:46pm 16th Jun 2017

Mclintock was a fabulous player and the best captain I have ever seen for Arsenal. His partnership with Peter Simpson was one of the best I have seen at Arsenal. Great defence in those days with Storey and McNab as full backs. - Post No. 108079

Badarse  12:55pm 16th Jun 2017

@peter wain it is so difficult for people to judge especially when they are comparing what they have seen with heresay, or another's account. I am a bit long in the tooth which carries with it many disadvantages, but it also means that I have seen more than a younger lad. McLintock was not just the best Arsenal captain ever, but I have never seen a better skipper anywhere-he is still the template that I measure by. Oh, and I'd still be prepared to go into a scrap with him at my shoulder, Zimmer-frame permitting. - Post No. 108080

Issue #269 - Out Now!

Gooner Editorial

16th February 2018

Frozen North Provides Relief For Arsenal

Rare comfortable away win for Gunners v Ostersunds