Ten Years At The Emirates

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
VoiceOfReason

Ten Years At The Emirates

Post by VoiceOfReason »

West Ham's stadium move has brought back a lot of memories of our own stadium move back in 2006. Personally, I felt the same way about the Emirates when I first went as Hammers fans do about the London Stadium - but the media narrative seems very different. Arsenal were praised for 'building a fantastic stadium' and 'moving forward to compete with the top teams in Europe', without a word of negativity allowed. However, West Ham fans have been indulged, and all the complaints about the bad atmosphere and 20,000 tourists seem to be acceptable conversation points.

That said, it's now been just over ten years since the Emirates first opened, so I thought I'd start up a thread to see what people's memories are.

There aren't many highlights for me, so it's pretty easy to offer up the following selections:

- 2006/07: Henry's injury time winner against Man Utd.

- 2007/08: The Gallas last minute equaliser against Man Utd in the 2-2 draw when we were first and second in the table. We'd had a great start to the season and this felt like the first genuinely big game in a long time.

- 2011/12: Henry's improbable return and winner against Leeds in the FA Cup.

There are also some infamous games - like the 3-1 CL SF defeat, and the 4-4 with Spuds - but the less said about that, the better.

So, how does everyone else feel about the stadium, and does anyone have any other personal highlights?

SPUDMASHER

Re: Ten Years At The Emirates

Post by SPUDMASHER »

Erm :hmmthink:

No, can't think of any.....................except the roasting that Davids got during DB10's testimonial.

scotgooner

Post by scotgooner »

very Meh about the Emirates. Lovely looking stadium but with an infamously shit atmosphere.

Never had the privilege of going to Highbury but I bet there was a good noisey atmosphere at it.

Best game I've been to at the emirates was the second 5-2 scum game ... great day :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Personally I think the Conglomerates Lego Bowl sucks dead dog cock as a stadium... a soulless corporate seating area for "customers", populated by selfie-obsessed JCL wánkers and their iPads/iPhones.

Memories? :rubchin:

Some bad ones; The 4-4 and the 2-3 against the vermin in particular. :roll: :x

Good memories? Always love a late winner and Henry's against the filth was a great one. :barscarf: Also Fabregas kicking Cashley A-hole up in the air was lovely. :D

But the best one is, as my esteemed colleague SPUDNOSHER :wink: mentioned;

The Grimster beasting Davids and preventing an ex-scum player scoring the first goal at the new place. :barscarf: :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

I went to the first plge game ,! Villa from what I remember think it ended 1-1 from what I can remember@ it was a shite game and with hindsight aan indication of what lay ahead
I've probably gone to around 20 games their can't remember any real elation at any of them although did enjoy a 2-1 win against utd courtesy of 2 goals from a small French lesbian
I had already began to lose faith in wenger and its basically been downhill ever since

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

scotgooner wrote:very Meh about the Emirates. Lovely looking stadium but with an infamously shit atmosphere.

Never had the privilege of going to Highbury but I bet there was a good noisey atmosphere at it.

Best game I've been to at the emirates was the second 5-2 scum game ... great day :barscarf:
Sometimes there was. But it was also known as the Library and tbh there were times you'd not only hear a pin drop, you'd actually hear it as it fell through the air! :lol: But Highbury could rock and I was lucky enough to be at many many great days and nights there when the place was proper loud. 8)

gp543

Post by gp543 »

DB10GOONER wrote:Personally I think the Conglomerates Lego Bowl sucks dead dog cock as a stadium... a soulless corporate seating area for "customers", populated by selfie-obsessed JCL wánkers and their iPads/iPhones.

Good memories? Always love a late winner and Henry's against the filth was a great one. :barscarf: Also Fabregas kicking Cashley A-hole up in the air was lovely. :D

The Grimster beasting Davids and preventing an ex-scum player scoring the first goal at the new place. :barscarf: :lol:
Huntelaar scored in the first half...

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gp543 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Personally I think the Conglomerates Lego Bowl sucks dead dog cock as a stadium... a soulless corporate seating area for "customers", populated by selfie-obsessed JCL wánkers and their iPads/iPhones.

Oh. Dear. God. Thank fuck you corrected that... before the world ended. :roll:

For Mr Pedantic I shall rephrase; The Grimster beasting Davids and preventing an ex-scum player scoring a goal at the new place. Is that okay? Will you now sleep tonight? Christ, I dearly hope so.

:lol: :wink: :wink:

gp543

Post by gp543 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
gp543 wrote:

Oh. Dear. God. Thank fuck you corrected that... before the world ended. :roll:

For Mr Pedantic I shall rephrase; The Grimster beasting Davids and preventing an ex-scum player scoring a goal at the new place. Is that okay? Will you now sleep tonight? Christ, I dearly hope so.

:lol: :wink: :wink:
Yes. Thank you for your interest in my affairs. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Nobody else for the Arsharvin goal in the 2-1 win over Barca?

Just me then??

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

atmosphere at the bowl was good before the man u CL game. before kick off and for a fraction after it was rocking but not very long did that last!

arshavin barca winner was also pretty pumping bit rest imo is meh.

Highbury whilst a fantastic looking and feeling stadium is I think looked on a bit with halcyon eyes. Yes it could be rocking and the new North bank often literally physically rocked. however in the later days there was plenty of jcl, tarquins, with their hampers etc in Highbury. I blame fever pitch and nick hornby , and football becoming fashionable. that didn't just happen when we moved ( yes it defo got a lot worse), Highbury had become well infiltrated in that sense. the library moniker was well deserved to be honest.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Red Snapper wrote:Nobody else for the Arsharvin goal in the 2-1 win over Barca?

Just me then??
Oh yeah, that was a pretty good one.

As for Highbury, I never felt it needed to be 'rocking' tbh. Even at near silence it still had a special atmosphere IMO.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Being there on 2009 when Robert Pires returned with Villareal in the CL quarter Final.. 3-0 win with the crowd singing Super Robert Pires.. Many visits to the Glass House but that is the only atmosphere I really recall

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:Nobody else for the Arsharvin goal in the 2-1 win over Barca?

Just me then??
Oh yeah, that was a pretty good one.

As for Highbury, I never felt it needed to be 'rocking' tbh. Even at near silence it still had a special atmosphere IMO.
Glad it wasn't only me who would gaze out at Highbury as a kid and just be in awe.....specially under the lights on a freezing winter night,whether it was rocking or errily quiet,even empty that place was fucking amazing :cry:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

10 years of gradual decline of the team, but 10 years of financial bounty for the board and Wenger. :banghead:
Oh, and plenty of tickets for the I-Pad/club shop merchandise wielding tourists.....Just the way Arsenal likes it. :banghead: :twisted: