Players you think you should hate but don't

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Perryashburtongroves

Players you think you should hate but don't

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Not that I actually give a fuck about England but I've just seen that Jermain Defoe has scored for England. I feel like I should really dislike him, but I don't. It's got me thinking about the players who I think I should hate but don't. Roy Keane is another one these days. Any others?

REB

Re: Players you think you should hate but don't

Post by REB »

teddy sheringham, graham roberts ,gazza , deli ali ,

sorry read the thread title wrong :wink:

joe hart i like, gary neville comes across not so bad i suppose.

MecurialGooner

Post by MecurialGooner »

REB wrote:teddy sheringham, graham roberts ,gazza , deli ali ,

sorry read the thread title wrong :wink:

joe hart i like, gary neville comes across not so bad i suppose.
Hated G.Neville as a man utd player

Stopped hating him and liked him as a pundit

Starting to despise him again due to his stance on Wenger and "be careful what you wish for" sh*t opinions.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I mean it's obligatory to hate Sheringham but I had some begrudging respect for him because he absolutely loved the banter with the fans.

We gave him bucketloads of shit whenever he came to Highbury and given the chance he would do exactly the same. Prick always seemed to score against us as well.

Good old-fashioned rivalry.

Babu

Post by Babu »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:Not that I actually give a fuck about England but I've just seen that Jermain Defoe has scored for England. I feel like I should really dislike him, but I don't. It's got me thinking about the players who I think I should hate but don't. Roy Keane is another one these days. Any others?
He's a Gooner... Jermaine Defoe, not Keane! I like him a lot. Again...Defoe, not Keane.

I'll admit to one player who I think I should hate but don't...Granit Xhaka!

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I'll throw in an ex-player who was cast as a villain in 1998 but who I could seriously love: Diego Simeone

Herd

Post by Herd »

I don't like many ex player pundits ,I wont watch Henry because I don't want to ruin the memory .
Wrighty is a meedja whore blowing which ever way the wind goes
Smudger sounds like the whining neighbour who complains about anything
Merson sounds like the idiot drunk down the pub
Charlie Nicholas I just want to punch his face in
Stewart Robson seems to have vanished (thank the lord)
Keown is just annoying
Only Lee Dixon comes out unscathed from me of the Ex AFC Pundits

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Rapidly turning into an ex player thread, but I feel I should hate Shearer, but I always had grudging respect for the man, much I suspect and opposition fans respected Wrighty the player

As a commentator he clearly sees through Wenger but is neutral enough not to say. he knows full well we are bottlers :oops: .

That Compares to the Granny shagger and dogbreath who I simply hate :evil:

I feel the same about Defoe as the OP TBH- hes a real pro, respect for him staying with smaller clubs ( :wink: ) and banging in the goals

Milner I may be persuadable on too :oops: :oops:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Shearer is an enormous bore. But he did give Ferguson the finger to go and play for his hometown club.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

fabregas. love him.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

RVP. Hardly a legend, but completely understand why he left and he was just as frustrated as the fans IMO.

Would obviously rather he hadn't gone to Man Utd, but he justified himself immediately by winning the PL and being top scorer. Pretty sure he refused to celebrate a goal against us too, despite all the abuse.

I was on Van Persie's side - not Wenger's - and felt that those who didn't understand him wanting to win trophies were just blindly loyal to Wenger.

Same scenario now playing out five years later with Sanchez, but if he went to Chelsea next season, is he in the wrong and worthy of hate too?

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Peter Crouch ex scum and frequent pain in the arse against us.......seems like a decent bloke tbh

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Theoperator wrote:Rapidly turning into an ex player thread, but I feel I should hate Shearer, but I always had grudging respect for the man
I was thinking about Shearer, and even the diving tosspot Stevie G, but I think there's an argument to be made that it's easier to have goodwill towards a player if they never really did any damage towards the club we support.

I mean, Shearer probably scored a few goals against us - maybe in our hilariously bad 94/95 campaign and the 1-3 at Highbury in 01/02 when we did the double - but, by and large, we kept him quiet. Adams had him in his back pocket.

However, had his shot against the post in the '98 cup final gone in, and he did an Owen on us, it'd be a lot easier to hate him.

Which is why mentioned Gerrard. Don't like the guy, but never got away with anything against us (gifting Henry the winner at the final game against them at Highbury) and he was basically a laughing stock by the time he retired. Never won a a PL, and the banana peel meme in his final season lives on.

wibble

Post by wibble »

I don't hate rvp as much as others but he celebrated like a complete knob when he scored against us

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

I didn't hate Gary Mabutt even though he was Scum Captain...Also always liked Robbie Fowler despite despising Liverpool and Leeds.