WBA home thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: WBA home thread

Post by Clash »

I have a mate who retains his ST every year (waiting for Wenger to go) who thought he could just sell his tickets on Ticket Exchange and get most of his money back.

The flaw in this plan is when we become so unappealing to watch that the game doesnt sell out and you're lumbered with the ticket. Hoepfully this trend continues and the thousands who are doing the same as my mate will decide that renewing with the intention to sell back each game is no longer worth it.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 pm
I have a mate who retains his ST every year (waiting for Wenger to go) who thought he could just sell his tickets on Ticket Exchange and get most of his money back.

The flaw in this plan is when we become so unappealing to watch that the game doesnt sell out and you're lumbered with the ticket. Hoepfully this trend continues and the thousands who are doing the same as my mate will decide that renewing with the intention to sell back each game is no longer worth it.
Good, I get the tug at your heart renewing but if you don't want to attend most of the matches what is the point ?

The less that renew, the less "Support" there is for the status quo to remain in place, the more pressure on Wenker, and he can't cope with pressure.

NickF

Post by NickF »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:17 pm
Clash wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Good, I get the tug at your heart renewing but if you don't want to attend most of the matches what is the point ?

The less that renew, the less "Support" there is for the status quo to remain in place, the more pressure on Wenker, and he can't cope with pressure.
But we all know that isn't going to happen in the sort of numbers required. Even on this forum, there is a new guy that has just started going (and good luck to him).

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:50 am
The game will be eclipse by Gareth Barry breaking the premier league appearance record. The result will be irrelevant.
Wilshere would do well to take a leaf out of Barry's book as that's the positional role Wenger has always wanted him to play in the Arsenal team.
Yeah, I too think Wilshere should aim at being bog standard PL average on a good day. :lol:
And Wenger said he almost signed Barry (add him to that squad of ours) but unfortunately City had more buying power. Lucky Barry, had Wenger got hold of him his career would be over by now.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

NickF wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm
But we all know that isn't going to happen in the sort of numbers required. Even on this forum, there is a new guy that has just started going (and good luck to him).
Good luck to him indeed - he will soon get fed up of spunking £75-100 a time to watch us play for the virtual trophy, with a sh*t atmosphere and rubbish food.

:twisted:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:27 am
Blade wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:45 am
Giroud has 99 goals in 235
Took van persie 236 games to score 99
Alan smith 239
Stapleton274
Bergkamp 288
Radford 304
This is a very interesting stat.
Be very careful about using stats to compare players. There are so many variables. For example, Radford played at a time when defenders could kick lumps out of you, when pitches were like swamps and you could be lying with a broken leg by the corner flag and still considered offside. Le Lampost has also mainly played as the single striker whereas the others had strike partners.
Better to believe what you see week in, week out and trust your brain to interpret the evidence.
Totally agree. 'Big John' was twice the player Le Lampost is, or ever will be. Watched him many times. :barscarf: :barscarf:

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:28 pm
NickF wrote:
Good luck to him indeed - he will soon get fed up of spunking £75-100 a time to watch us play for the virtual trophy, with a sh*t atmosphere and rubbish food.

In an ideal world. But we all know that doesnt happen. Someone will always want an ST for whatever reason.

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

Ray C wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
Blade wrote:
Alan smith 239
Stapleton274
Bergkamp 288
Radford 304
Be very careful about using stats to compare players. There are so many variables. For example, Radford played at a time when defenders could kick lumps out of you, when pitches were like swamps and you could be lying with a broken leg by the corner flag and still considered offside. Le Lampost has also mainly played as the single striker whereas the others had strike partners.
Better to believe what you see week in, week out and trust your brain to interpret the evidence.
Totally agree. 'Big John' was twice the player Le Lampost is, or ever will be. Watched him many times. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Agh the days of a clearer through ball from Kennedy to Armstrong and a cross for J.R......

Christ those pitches were also something to behold in Feb. I remember watching AFC at Notts Co. once way back.
We went on the pitch after the game. I was ankle deep in mud after a few seconds. Christ knows how the players lasted 90 minutes being a lot of them were still smoking in those days.

Remember once or twice cheering outside Highbury for the players after the game with my Granddad. Finally sometimes the window might open up, I think it was more smoke then steam coming from within.

Happy Days! :barscarf: :barscarf:

But heavens knows we were also terrible on some days mind.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:26 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:50 am
The game will be eclipse by Gareth Barry breaking the premier league appearance record. The result will be irrelevant.
Wilshere would do well to take a leaf out of Barry's book as that's the positional role Wenger has always wanted him to play in the Arsenal team.
Yeah, I too think Wilshere should aim at being bog standard PL average on a good day. :lol:
Yes, we don't want midfielders who are consistent, and stay fit throughout the season...we want show ponies and injuries. :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Ray C wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
Blade wrote:
Alan smith 239
Stapleton274
Bergkamp 288
Radford 304
yeah...agreed

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

bergkamp10 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 am
Ray C wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
Blade wrote:
Alan smith 239
Stapleton274
Bergkamp 288
Radford 304
Agh the days of a clearer through ball from Kennedy to Armstrong and a cross for J.R......

Christ those pitches were also something to behold in Feb. I remember watching AFC at Notts Co. once way back.
We went on the pitch after the game. I was ankle deep in mud after a few seconds. Christ knows how the players lasted 90 minutes being a lot of them were still smoking in those days.

Remember once or twice cheering outside Highbury for the players after the game with my Granddad. Finally sometimes the window might open up, I think it was more smoke then steam coming from within.

I agree we were bad on many days but at least we always put in a 'shift'. Remember they were days of the 'Win' bonus !!. Memories. Are you sure I'm not your granddad ?. :barscarf: :barscarf: I forgot the game, 2-0 to us.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

wilko49er wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:05 am
sk-gtfo wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:28 pm
NickF wrote:

In an ideal world. But we all know that doesnt happen. Someone will always want an ST for whatever reason.
I'm really not sure about that, I think critical mass has been hit, this season appears to be another mad scramble for the virtual trophy (4th) and it's getting harder to obtain, even if anyone apart from the old w*nkers who run the corp gave a f*ck anymore, the corporation seems to be resorting to some fairly desperate tactics in order to try and sell tickets.

Sadly though you're probably right because what they will do is start reducing prices as the TV money means they don't need as much revenue from the Emirates anymore, all part of the dumbing down process so that everyone expects us to finish 4th-8th place, personally I wouldn't pay £1 to watch a corporation with such little ambition.

Anyway going off topic again (sorry) just can't really be arsed to talk about individual games etc. anymore, it's all so f*cking tedious!, we'll probably beat them 2-0 or something like that, come the end of the season though 4th-8th, I expect we'll finish in or around those positions 90% of the time for the next 30 f*cking years, boring boring Arsenal - they weren't wrong?.

:roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

It is more important than ever that we win this, as all our rivals, Stoke, Swansea, Southampton,etc,...dropped points over the weekend.

Win and we go 7th. Nosebleed territory :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

O can't wait not to watch it ! I think beastenders an corrie are on tommorow .
Does anyone watch telly anymore ?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Ray C wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:23 am
bergkamp10 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 am
Ray C wrote:
GranadaJoe wrote:
Blade wrote:

I agree we were bad on many days but at least we always put in a 'shift'. Remember they were days of the 'Win' bonus !!. Memories. Are you sure I'm not your granddad ?. :barscarf: :barscarf: I forgot the game, 2-0 to us.
exactly anyone who was watching through the mid seventies is was absolutely dire.....so many stopped going...