Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
I Hate Hleb

Re: Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Whether a last minute panic buy or not, I think he'll prove to be an astute purchase. The lad has got pace, trickery and is (surprising) good in the air. He will give us much needed movement up front and be a good target for the passes of Ozil/Santi/Jack. Welbeck also puts a good shift in and will help us press more/better.

Sure he hasn't until now proven prolific in front of goal but he was getting loads when a youngster and playing up top, so a switch back to his normal/preferred position (ala Henry after being mis-used at Juventus) and with a few quick goals and his confidence building, we may see a similar outcome. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Although ideally we would all want an already proven world class striker playing for us, I wouldn't be so quick to write off this kid. I'm not normally an optimist but I can genuinely see this move paying off for us. 8)

RayC

Post by RayC »

After 8 years at the club & heaps of injuries "The brainless one" (Theo the not so gr8) is still rubbish. Lets give this bloke half that time & I think he may well prove a bargin. As long as he's keeping "The brainless one" & Plodolski on the bench that'll do me. Good luck Danny Boy. :barscarf: :barscarf:

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

RayC wrote:After 8 years at the club & heaps of injuries "The brainless one" (Theo the not so gr8) is still rubbish. Lets give this bloke half that time & I think he may well prove a bargin. As long as he's keeping "The brainless one" & Plodolski on the bench that'll do me. Good luck Danny Boy. :barscarf: :barscarf:
I don't know what Walcott you watch but he has improved a lot over the past two seasons to the point where I'll wager most fans would have him in their starting line up, he has got physically stronger and his passing is much better plus he scores in big games.

defleppardisking

Post by defleppardisking »

Even the mirror is making fun of us signing welbeck

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/1 ... ng-4150792

Big_G

Post by Big_G »

defleppardisking wrote:Even the mirror is making fun of us signing welbeck

This is totally pathetic. It's something I would expect on a forum or social media but on a website run by a legitimate newspaper/media reporting company? How sad and disappointing, but that's the English media for you, pathetic and unprofessional.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Big_G wrote:

This is totally pathetic. It's something I would expect on a forum or social media but on a website run by a legitimate newspaper/media reporting company? How sad and disappointing, but that's the English media for you, pathetic and unprofessional.
This cúnt Jim Daly MUST be scum. It reads like a childish scum type attempt at a piss take. I'm embarrased for that "newspaper" tbh. :oops: :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Big_G wrote:

This cúnt Jim Daly MUST be scum. It reads like a childish scum type attempt at a piss take. I'm embarrased for that "newspaper" tbh. :oops: :roll:

You say that but most of those stages could have been copied and pasted from here over the last few days - fans dissed him on the basis of him being shit but have no come out bigging him up cos he plays for us, so whether we like it or not I would say it is an accurate reflection

Anyway I have to say that any paper that lets that cross w*nker pen his pro wenker bullshit, needs to balance it out with stuff like this cos neither should be put in print

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Was working with 2 united fans yesterday - absolutely gutted wellbeck has left them.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Big_G wrote:

You say that but most of those stages could have been copied and pasted from here over the last few days - fans dissed him on the basis of him being shit but have no come out bigging him up cos he plays for us, so whether we like it or not I would say it is an accurate reflection

Anyway I have to say that any paper that lets that cross w*nker pen his pro wenker bullshit, needs to balance it out with stuff like this cos neither should be put in print
This is a fans' forum. That is the website of a supposedly professional newspaper. It's pathetic and is very indicitive of the dumbing down of the media and western culture in general. I blame Facebook. :twisted:

:lol:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Look lads, he's not the signing we wanted. Granted. He's not exactly set the PL alight to date. Granted. If he was top quality The Filth would never have sold him, and especially not to us. Granted.

But let's see how he plays for us, let's see what he can deliver. I remember being absolutely whelmed by our signing of Henry initially. Not for a minute comparing Welbeck to Henry, but sometimes players step up at a new club, they can improve. Fingers crossed.
IMO there is no comparison with Henry who had already appeared in a World Cup finals (scoring 3 goals). In a similar way to DB10 henry had a bad time at an Italian club. I remember Henry playing for Monaco vs Newcastle in the UEFA cup on the wing and it was clear to me that the boy had talent, as a teenager he absolutely roasted the geordies defence.

Lets see how Wellbeck gets on, if he scores 20 goals a season that's a bonus. It wasn't that long ago we had midfielders that expected to score 20 goals minimum (Bobby and Freddy spring to mind).

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Big_G wrote:

This is a fans' forum. That is the website of a supposedly professional newspaper. It's pathetic and is very indicitive of the dumbing down of the media and western culture in general. I blame Facebook. :twisted:

:lol:

Dont get me started on facebook and twitter - I registered on both cos I felt I was missing out on banter and info, but I'm almost embarrassed that I ever registered and I never log on regardless of what I miss out on :roll: If I wanted to know what a person was doing in their life I would ask them, instead of reading all the mundane boring shit from their lives all over the internet :oops:

donaldo71

Post by donaldo71 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:Look lads, he's not the signing we wanted. Granted. He's not exactly set the PL alight to date. Granted. If he was top quality The Filth would never have sold him, and especially not to us. Granted.

But let's see how he plays for us, let's see what he can deliver. I remember being absolutely whelmed by our signing of Henry initially. Not for a minute comparing Welbeck to Henry, but sometimes players step up at a new club, they can improve. Fingers crossed.
IMO there is no comparison with Henry who had already appeared in a World Cup finals (scoring 3 goals). In a similar way to DB10 henry had a bad time at an Italian club. I remember Henry playing for Monaco vs Newcastle in the UEFA cup on the wing and it was clear to me that the boy had talent, as a teenager he absolutely roasted the geordies defence.

Lets see how Wellbeck gets on, if he scores 20 goals a season that's a bonus. It wasn't that long ago we had midfielders that expected to score 20 goals minimum (Bobby and Freddy spring to mind).
Thats it.Welbecks job is to score 20 plus league goals.Giroud couldnt do it in 2 seasons(just 27 league goals).A centre forward for Arsenal the minimum return should be 20 league goals at least.None of this bull about he holds the ball up well and has pace and is a good team player.We need a striker who scores goals thats the bottom line

JVCRules

Post by JVCRules »

Some stats from this season...

1 shot assist
1 successful dribble
1 corner won
2 defensive clearances
2 tackles

1 missed through ball
2 balls lost to opponents

6 out of 8 one on ones won

Not bad for limited game time!

More stats here... http://www.oulala.com/en/player-profile ... lbeck/1899

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:

I actually said that. :lol: My point was when we signed Henry I was a bit meh tbh. Yeah, I could see he could play, but he wasn't setting the world on fire week in week out.

And I don't believe for a minute anyone was thrilled or believed we were getting world class when we initially signed TH14, because no one could have predicted how good he would turn out. He was a failed winger in Italy, Wenger completely changed his role and converted him to one of the best strikers in the game. It's easy to say he had talent, every single player at youth level has talent, but not all develop that talent.

What I wouldn't do is compare DB10 to Henry. DB10 was classed by everyone in the game as a well established phenomonal talent long before he ever went near Italy. Henry was only classed as that after a few years with us.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

JVCRules wrote:Some stats from this season...

1 shot assist
1 successful dribble
1 corner won
2 defensive clearances
2 tackles

1 missed through ball
2 balls lost to opponents

6 out of 8 one on ones won

Not bad for limited game time!

More stats here... http://www.oulala.com/en/player-profile ... lbeck/1899
Are you trying to get banned? :banghead:

Stats mean nothing in football. They only quantify, never qualify!!! FOR FUCK'S SAKE READ A FEW FUCKING THREADS BEFORE SPOUTING STATS!!!!! :x

Oh, and welcome on board, mate! :lol: :wink: :wink:

But seriously, drop the stats. :x :wink: