LEAGUE CUP THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SE12red

Re: LEAGUE CUP THREAD

Post by SE12red »

I think Rosicky will skipper this one with Ospina , Bellerin , Campbell , Diaby ( if fit ) and Coquelin all involved. Of the kids I'm convinced that Akpom will get an opportunity along with Hayden , Zelalem and possibly Maitlind Niles and Crowley. No idea who will play centre half . Could see this going to extra time and pens.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Just to add insult to injury (Yup! Pun definitely intended) It would be just like wenger to give the captaincy to Diaby rather than Super Tom! :roll: :?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

this is going to go the same way as the cup last year - wenger will pick his weaker side, which will accidentally have width and pace.

3-0 The Arsenal.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I hope Akpom gets a full game. He looked really sharp when coming off the bench pre-season. Certainly better than the postman.

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

GranadaJoe wrote:I hope Akpom gets a full game. He looked really sharp when coming off the bench pre-season. Certainly better than the postman.
Aye.

The sooner Sanogo is phased out of Arsenal entirely the better; Welbeck has ensured he won't start in the league, here's to hoping Akpom/Campbell play in the Cups.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dutch10Gooner

Post by Dutch10Gooner »

Chambers should be rested with the games vs Sp*rs, Galatasaray and Chelsea coming up. Podolski, Sanogo, Campbell and Gnabry should be given a run out.

RespectTheUmlaut

Post by RespectTheUmlaut »

clockender1 wrote:this is going to go the same way as the cup last year - wenger will pick his weaker side, which will accidentally have width and pace.

3-0 The Arsenal.
Yep. He'll stumble upon the greatness that is/was Bellerin, Campbell and Sanogo. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet at all though. 3-2 to The Arsenal I reckon.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ospina does - Hopefully he won't be too busy - But I'd like to know if he is capable and good enough to take over from the chez chopsy ..... :?: :?

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Loving the optimism.

Saints have conceded 3 goals in all competitions. In the last round they played Taider,Cork,Wanyama, Ward-Prowse, Long,Pellegrini and Forster. We are going to play kids,Rosicky and Campbell.

A narrow 1-2 loss.

Shame as it's probably the only way Campbell is going to get a game barring an injury catastrophe or loan in January.
Last edited by topgoon on Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

RespectTheUmlaut wrote:
clockender1 wrote:this is going to go the same way as the cup last year - wenger will pick his weaker side, which will accidentally have width and pace.

3-0 The Arsenal.
Yep. He'll stumble upon the greatness that is/was Bellerin, Campbell and Sanogo. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet at all though. 3-2 to The Arsenal I reckon.
Sanogo is unavailable, still crocked.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

topgoon wrote:
RespectTheUmlaut wrote:

3-0 The Arsenal.
judging by his performances, it won't make much difference,

anyone interested in seeing daniel crowley? he's our next big thing apparently.

RespectTheUmlaut

Post by RespectTheUmlaut »

topgoon wrote:
RespectTheUmlaut wrote:

3-0 The Arsenal.
The fact that I was aware and yet forgot is a mixture of worrying and depressing!

Just seen that Zelalem and Crowley are playing for the U21s so I guess that as good as rules them out too.

Midz

Post by Midz »

This game isn't on TV is it?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Bellerin, Akpom, Ajayi, Hayden in squad:

Arsène Wenger has revealed the latest team news ahead of Tuesday night's Capital One Cup game against Southampton:

On Tuesday night you might see Hector Bellerin, Francis Coquelin and Isaac Hayden. In the squad we have Chuba Akpom and Semi Ajayi as well. These are the players that are the closest.
on Chuba Akpom...

I'm happy that he has developed as a goalscorer, because when he was a younger kid, his problem was finishing. That has gone now. He's a very good finisher and he has now to learn the tactical side of his game. Then he will be ready, because he is a huge talent.
on Isaac Hayden…
He's a ball winner, he's a good central defender and a good central midfielder. Technically he was working on his game a bit, but now he is ready for that level.
on Nacho Monreal…
He is not far, but he is not ready yet.
on Yaya Sanogo…
He is similar, he will be back after the international break.

on Walcott and Gnabry…
Theo is doing very well, and Gnabry is doing very well too. They should be available after the international break for full training.