Previous Arsenal v Man Utd FA Cup matches

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Previous Arsenal v Man Utd FA Cup matches

Post by StuartL »

Been a few classic matches over the years - 79 cup final, :barscarf:

We had the 2-1 victory at Highbury where the back kicking coward McClair skied a last minute penalty :barscarf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... sj77IJNZ2g

Was in the middle of the North Bank doing my bit to put him off :)

The 99 semi, which we were a penalty kick away from a possible double, double and fucking up their treble too. :banghead:

A sweet 2-0 victory at OT, with Giggs missing an open goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3e8IB4NK8

An abject 4-0 capitulation at Old Trafford :oops:

and a dog of a cup final, which we were frankly awful, but held out for pens, and Paddy's last kick as an Arsenal player wins it :barscarf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYhvcpmawc

Bradywasking

Re: Previous Arsenal v Man Utd FA Cup matches

Post by Bradywasking »

Why the fuck did not one of the Arsenal defence tackle Giggs...? Still haunts me, one tackle and 16 years of listening and watching would never have happened.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

Bradywasking wrote:Why the fuck did not one of the Arsenal defence tackle Giggs...? Still haunts me, one tackle and 16 years of listening and watching would never have happened.
THIS

Fu**king this

VAVAVOOM 14

Post by VAVAVOOM 14 »

greengooner wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:Why the fuck did not one of the Arsenal defence tackle Giggs...? Still haunts me, one tackle and 16 years of listening and watching would never have happened.
THIS

Fu**king this
What's funny is I've heard both Keown and Dixon recently on commentary duty lamenting the fact no one chopped him down. Clearly our former players are still haunted by it; even Roy Keane said someone should've scythed into Giggs.

This Is The Daybreak

Post by This Is The Daybreak »

Why I've never regarded it as a great goal, monumental fuck up on our part from Vieiras pass to our defence just allowing him to run through and back off him. Can't believe it was the famous back four, that was something our defence today would do.

Oh and the game at Old Trafford in 2003, one of my all time favourite away days. 9,000 of us took the absolute piss up there that day. We should have won by more despite them trying to kick them off the park. Completely destroyed them that day, still bugs me we never won the league that season. We were sensational at times.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

QuartzGooner wrote:Image
For their 1999 we have our 1979 one of the great cup finals. Don't forget 2005 after they pissed on us for 130 minutes we had the last laugh. To this day I remember our end singing USA USA USA it definitely put their players off even though they had the advantage of taking pens at their end. Also our version of sold in the USA to springstein was pretty funny. How times have changed.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
For their 1999 we have our 1979 one of the great cup finals. Don't forget 2005 after they pissed on us for 130 minutes we had the last laugh. To this day I remember our end singing USA USA USA it definitely put their players off even though they had the advantage of taking pens at their end. Also our version of sold in the USA to springstein was pretty funny. How times have changed.
As an american, that's a pretty interesting story to hear. Puts a smile on my face that The Boss (the real Boss not AW) has made it into Arsenal lore somehow. Even if it's as a pisstake of our people.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I've never understood it. Adams and Dixon both had great opportunities to put the incestuous little bitch down. :x Similarly at Anfield 89, I've never understood why Steve Nichol didn't just chop Thomas down. Wouldn't have even been a yellow in those days! :D

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

gp543 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
As an american, that's a pretty interesting story to hear. Puts a smile on my face that The Boss (the real Boss not AW) has made it into Arsenal lore somehow. Even if it's as a pisstake of our people.
Don't take it to heart, GP. Football fans are, as you know, are bunch of chancers, and it was more a way to get under Utd fans (and players) skin. Any ill-feeling I have for Kroenke has nothing to do with his Nationality and everything to do with his business model.

Also; has anyone heard 'Born in then USA' from the 'Nebraska' demo? Totally different song from the one jumped on by Reagan and his cronies when they TOTALLY MISSED THE FUCKING POINT OF IT.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:
greengooner wrote:
THIS

Fu**king this
What's funny is I've heard both Keown and Dixon recently on commentary duty lamenting the fact no one chopped him down. Clearly our former players are still haunted by it; even Roy Keane said someone should've scythed into Giggs.
I don't even think they had to foul him, they opened it up for him in my opinion, it was too easy. Greatest FA Cup goal ?..no not even close to it.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Bradywasking wrote:
VAVAVOOM 14 wrote:
greengooner wrote:
THIS

Fu**king this
I don't even think they had to foul him, they opened it up for him in my opinion, it was too easy. Greatest FA Cup goal ?..no not even close to it.
Agree, but I also aportion some of the blame for that goal to Seaman who somehow made himself as short as DB10 and OneBard combined by limbo-dancing himself under Giggs's shot, if he just stood up on the shot it hits him in the fucking chest! :banghead:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Spot on Frank, Seaman only had to stay standing but decided to lay down :banghead:

remigardeshair

Post by remigardeshair »

This Is The Daybreak wrote: Oh and the game at Old Trafford in 2003, one of my all time favourite away days. 9,000 of us took the absolute piss up there that day. We should have won by more despite them trying to kick them off the park. Completely destroyed them that day, still bugs me we never won the league that season. We were sensational at times.
It's a performance that sticks long in the memory, arguably the greatest one that team ever produced, we were so far ahead of them that day it was frightening, a complete class apart, they couldnt get near us, and we werent even at full strength.

Losing the league that season was a travesty.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

The only thing worth remembering about the Giggs goal was the piss take where his chest wig came off with his top :barscarf:
That and I think it was the reason why players cant do that now, ruining one half of the populations fun. :roll:

Alan Sunderland though what a classic match, bet many of us remember where we were with that one, I was sitting round a load of schoolmates who spent all of a few minutes laughing at me :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: