Chelsea home thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
G_G

Re: Chelsea home thread

Post by G_G »

What a 'Class A' CUN! Moaninho is !!!
If he can't take the criticism from opposition fans , then I think his 'GLORIOUS' Club should hire a doctor to find a cure ( if it ever exists ) for this poor little chap :lol: :lol:
He's the type of guy who would arm-wrestle a 5 year old kid, beat him and gloat with his friends about it !!!!
Anyway, there must be a reason if the London Oilers' owner decided to sack him a while ago... same goes for Real Madrid.

On to more important matters, I thought we could and should have won the game yesterday. We had an excellent end of the 1st half putting pressure on the Pric£s' defence and of course we had THAT big chance at the end of the game which I still can't believe went beggin'
It was interesting to hear TH14 talking about the need of buying 4 top class players for next seasons who can make a strong spine for the team . However, I don't think AW will buy a new CB , as we 'just' bought Gabriel.
I'd be happy to see a new top GK arrive and see Schezny gone as he clearly can't stay focused for an entire season.
We'll also need a holding MF to pair Coquelin and also a top striker.

It'll be interesting to see how AW decides to play in the remaing PL fixtures....

silus

Post by silus »

StuartL wrote:
donaldo71 wrote:Summed up perfectly by Thierry

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... ayers.html
Thierry Knows.......get the banner made :)
The more I here him talk about us the more I think he might make a decent manager.
Comes across as a born winner.....none of this 4th place trophy bollocks.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

he has stated the obvious - WE NEED A TOP STRIKER

seriously if we want to challenge for the title we need that more than anything else this summer

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:he has stated the obvious - WE NEED A TOP STRIKER

seriously if we want to challenge for the title we need that more than anything else this summer
Have to agree. We need strengthening in many areas still (IMHO) but more vital than anything has to be a striker that can bag 20+PL goals a season. Giroud and Welbeck can play back up to a top striker but neither are top strikers and never will be.

G_G

Post by G_G »

I think everybody agrees on the fact that we need a Top Striker up front.
Cavani , Benzema and Higuain should be available this summer so I'd be happy to see one of them holding a R&W shirt this summer.

As for TH14 as a manager, I don't think he's the answer right now... maybe in a few years' time.
He has no experience whatsoever at managing a team.
IMO,Guardiola or Ancelotti are the only ones who can take us forward as we speak

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

G_G wrote: As for TH14 as a manager, I don't think he's the answer right now... maybe in a few years' time.
Have to agree. It's too big a job to just take a punt on a bloke because he was a brilliant player and talks a good fight.

Also, the best players sometimes don't make great managers as they get frustrated watching their players fail to be as good as they themselves were. Chippy Brady and Glenda would be good examples of this. Great players (although one played for a shower of cúnts) but both were useless managers.

armchair

Post by armchair »

DB10GOONER wrote:Great players (although one played for a shower of cúnts) but both were useless managers.
This reminded me of John Barnes. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

G_G wrote:I think everybody agrees on the fact that we need a Top Striker up front.
Cavani , Benzema and Higuain should be available this summer so I'd be happy to see one of them holding a R&W shirt this summer.

As for TH14 as a manager, I don't think he's the answer right now... maybe in a few years' time.
IMO,Guardiola or Ancelotti are the only ones who can take us forward as we speak

I agree that we need a top quality striker but tbh I dont think any of those 3 are the answer to our problems - for me cavani would be just another lightweight prima donna, higuain is no faster than giroud, whilst I fear that benzema would come with an arrogance and attitude that could cause problems in a dressing room run by a manager that doesn't rule with an iron fist. If I was forced to opt for any of them then benzema would probably be the one that I would sign, however I'm still not sure if he is that good or is he prospering because other teams are too busy watching the portugese ladyboy

defleppardisking

Post by defleppardisking »

A top class striker is a must. I wouldn't want to see Giroud and Welbeck leading our front line next season.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

augie wrote:
G_G wrote:I think everybody agrees on the fact that we need a Top Striker up front.

I agree that we need a top quality striker but tbh I dont think any of those 3 are the answer to our problems - for me cavani would be just another lightweight prima donna, higuain is no faster than giroud, whilst I fear that benzema would come with an arrogance and attitude that could cause problems in a dressing room run by a manager that doesn't rule with an iron fist. If I was forced to opt for any of them then benzema would probably be the one that I would sign, however I'm still not sure if he is that good or is he prospering because other teams are too busy watching the portugese ladyboy
I completely agree with your assessment of the three suggested strikers and I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for spunking 50 million on one or the other.
Performance-wise Benzema is probably a safer bet, but I've seen a lot of him and often he just doesn't seem arsed to make an effort.
I think Cavani (Napoli vintage) is just what we need, but he's regressed at PSG. Ibrahimovic may be a reason, but it would still be a risk.
However, if you don't take a punt on one of them, who? A youngster with potential, who would at best need half a season to settle in, or a known UK-based striker? A known quantity but with known limitations (Benteke, Ings etc).
All in all the situation looks like another season with Giroud.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

GranadaJoe wrote:
augie wrote:

I completely agree with your assessment of the three suggested strikers and I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for spunking 50 million on one or the other.
Performance-wise Benzema is probably a safer bet, but I've seen a lot of him and often he just doesn't seem arsed to make an effort.
I think Cavani (Napoli vintage) is just what we need, but he's regressed at PSG. Ibrahimovic may be a reason, but it would still be a risk.
However, if you don't take a punt on one of them, who? A youngster with potential, who would at best need half a season to settle in, or a known UK-based striker? A known quantity but with known limitations (Benteke, Ings etc).
All in all the situation looks like another season with Giroud.
I've watched Cavani at least a dozen times, for club and country, and I've yet to understand what the big deal is. His finishing is as bad as Welbeck's.

Robin_L

Post by Robin_L »

Olivier Giroud is a great striker and easily good enough to lead the line for us, as his excellent season this term has shown. :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

To all those praising John terry, I'd like to point out Arsenal kept a clean sheet too. Mertesacker just as good in reading of the game and positioning.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Robin_L wrote:Olivier Giroud is a great striker and easily good enough to lead the line for us, as his excellent season this term has shown. :barscarf:
Agreed, he was masterful against Chelsea; the touch for his hattrick was a thing of beauty.

Am I doing this right?

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

gp543 wrote:I've watched Cavani at least a dozen times, for club and country, and I've yet to understand what the big deal is. His finishing is as bad as Welbeck's.
Yup.

Any club giving serious consideration to blowing £50m on Cavani would get better value by simply burning the cash, KLF style.