Zagreb at home.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
postmanPat91

Re: Zagreb at home.

Post by postmanPat91 »

SPARKSY wrote:
rodders999[color=#FF0000] wrote:Chambers looked a bit poo when he came on. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him to miracously provide cover for our Coq 8)
[/color]
Still having said all that what a ***** fest match day 6 is all set up to be now. If we win this one 2 zip it will be mount Vesuvius in my underpants until Christmas :barscarf:
We are too quick to write players off. Given a run in the team Chambers could do well there or in defence.
Same with Campbell. So pleased to see him do so well last night. So many people ive heard slating him, yet the blokes only just come in to the team. Given a run he could be very good, certainly he's done well so far imo.
Remember Henry and Bergkamp took time to settle as well and look at the time its also taken Ozil.
The thing is Sparksy, DM is a pivotal position, and given our resources we should have (and need) proven quality there, not a youngster who may or may not fit (assuming you're suggesting Chambers as an alternative to actually signing someone... if you're not then 'my bad' :oops: :lol: ). If Chambers is going to play there he should learn his trade from an experienced and proven DM, and the same goes for Coq. RE Ozil, he was proven quality when he arrived and part of the reason he took ages to shine was probably because Le Turnip played him completely out of position for at least a year.

Defensively Chambers looked bright when he arrived... I think that Swansea game where Wenger and Chamberlain hung him out to dry against Montero really knocked his confidence and set him back.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

Ozil was sublime yesterday

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SPARKSY wrote:
rodders999[color=#FF0000] wrote:Chambers looked a bit poo when he came on. I wouldn't hold out much hope for him to miracously provide cover for our Coq 8)
[/color]
Still having said all that what a ***** fest match day 6 is all set up to be now. If we win this one 2 zip it will be mount Vesuvius in my underpants until Christmas :barscarf:
We are too quick to write players off. Given a run in the team Chambers could do well there or in defence.
Same with Campbell. So pleased to see him do so well last night. So many people ive heard slating him, yet the blokes only just come in to the team. Given a run he could be very good, certainly he's done well so far imo.
Remember Henry and Bergkamp took time to settle as well and look at the time its also taken Ozil.
Sick of people using Henry and Bergkamp as justification for sticking with useless shite. Firstly, Bergkamp was a player of proven class despite a tough time at Inter and Henry shone massively at Monaco after graduating from Clairefontaine - not to mention that he was a once-in-a-generation player. Secondly, Bergkamp's much-maligned settling difficulties in reality were more like a few games and Henry scored 26 goals in his first season with us.

Joel Campbell will never make a great footballer. The bloke has no brain, doesn't look like he has much attacking instinct at all either. To be honest he doesn't exactly look like a rough diamond, doesn't seem to have any obvious traits that make him particularly worth persevering with. Players like him are ten a penny. He might be good enough to play against Zagreb at home every week but he will never be good enough for this club.

I hope that we can salvage something from the ability which Chambers obviously has - to do that we need to figure out his best position and play him there. Versatility is a great trait but you need to learn your trade in one position before you start thinking about that. The kid has played one senior game in midfield which was a complete and utter car crash, so pretending that he would be anything other than a fucking giant weak link at DM would be setting him up for a fall.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

It wont matter what position you play Chambers if he cant control a ball with his first touch. I wish it wasn't so. Maybe try him up front at least then he has a chance to recover the ball off the bloke who just got it off him. Na that's crap. So is he so just leave him on the bench. :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Chambers is simply not getting anywhere near enough games to judge if he is good enough or not - he might well prove to be a dud, but giving any player a few minutes here and there is not gonna allow him to settle in and show his quality.
I'd say chambers is regretting the day he joined us - his star was very much on the rise at the time, but now after spending practically 18 months sitting on our bench, his development has (at best) stagnated and no big club would consider him as a great prospect now :(

Really hope chambers makes it with us though 8)

LaughingGooner

Post by LaughingGooner »

Still buzzing after last night, great atmosphere in the pub afterwards.
I sense we're going to win comfortably in Greece.
Can't wait for Sunday at Norwich.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:Chambers is simply not getting anywhere near enough games to judge if he is good enough or not - he might well prove to be a dud, but giving any player a few minutes here and there is not gonna allow him to settle in and show his quality.
I'd say chambers is regretting the day he joined us - his star was very much on the rise at the time, but now after spending practically 18 months sitting on our bench, his development has (at best) stagnated and no big club would consider him as a great prospect now :(

Really hope chambers makes it with us though 8)

Yeah needs game time to show what he can do,

BUT a lot of emphasis is on him, he has too really impress in training, show the required level of ability then bang on the managers door demanding that he gets a chance
Then when in the first team has to deliver, these players are on mega money FFS :banghead:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

LaughingGooner wrote:Still buzzing after last night, great atmosphere in the pub afterwards.
I sense we're going to win comfortably in Greece
Oh well that's ok then, lets just turn up and expect the greeks to bear gifts.

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

StuartL wrote:
LaughingGooner wrote:Still buzzing after last night, great atmosphere in the pub afterwards.
I sense we're going to win comfortably in Greece
Oh well that's ok then, lets just turn up and expect the greeks to bear gifts.
The question that needs to be asked is how that bunch took 3 points from us at their place, they didnt look interested.
But I suppose for the AKB's that question is best ignored, cant have nasty things like that bothering them.
Not impossible we could squeeze through, Barcelona should give us a fitting send off in the round of 16.
Question is will there still be enough injuries in the squad for Wenger to hang his excuses on it?