Arsenal Anthem – the vote is on (2/7)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

those that have followed this laterly will realise that the club will - i believe with some element of consultation with the likes of redaction - ultimately make the decision on the anthem, but the result of the online referendum on onlinegooner will not be the only factor they consider. so just because impossible dream/streets of london might win the most votes on our poll, does not mean either will necessarily be the anthem that ultimately gets played. just thought i would clear that up.

one thing i think we can all agree on. not everyone is going to agree on the anthem selected. and for what it's worth the shortlist was compiled from the earlier thread on this in 'general chat' started in mid-april. the selections more or less fit the criteria of something i detailed back then and won't repeat here, but they certainly aren't all my personal favourites and i am not big on either of the two leaders. however, if one of them is ultimately chosen, i'll give it my all, as i want to help turn our stadium into something more than ashburton grave. yes there are enough 'fans' who are never going to sing, but there are also enough of us who want to create an atmosphere to do just that.

Herd

Post by Herd »

gooner.ed wrote:those that have followed this laterly will realise that the club will - i believe with some element of consultation with the likes of redaction - ultimately make the decision on the anthem, but the result of the online referendum on onlinegooner will not be the only factor they consider. so just because impossible dream/streets of london might win the most votes on our poll, does not mean either will necessarily be the anthem that ultimately gets played. just thought i would clear that up.

one thing i think we can all agree on. not everyone is going to agree on the anthem selected. and for what it's worth the shortlist was compiled from the earlier thread on this in 'general chat' started in mid-april. the selections more or less fit the criteria of something i detailed back then and won't repeat here, but they certainly aren't all my personal favourites and i am not big on either of the two leaders. however, if one of them is ultimately chosen, i'll give it my all, as i want to help turn our stadium into something more than ashburton grave. yes there are enough 'fans' who are never going to sing, but there are also enough of us who want to create an atmosphere to do just that.
Thats fair enough ED and I take you points on this bieng ongoing.
from way back ,but I just don't think Edelman has a clue about what makes any Arsenal fan tick,he isnt a fan and never has been,nor will he ever.

He is a suit,his only concern is bums on seats and the money he can squeeze from us.
I don't think he gives a dam about us only about how much we can pay !

The club im sure will go with your voters suggestions and then land us with it and when it fails will claim it wasnt his fault he was doing what the fans asked him to do.

Ive seen too many coporate slimeballs before to be fooled,im just saying why go down this road.

Im all for creating atmosphere but still think it's the people who infest ashburton that are the problem.

Il finish on this subject now !

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Herd - I do enjoy your posts. They are so uplifting :-) ! You remind me of one of those old guys on the Muppet Show. At times I could quite easily be the other one - although I am bought into the idea of an anthem (just please don't let it be "Impossible Dream"!).

I Hate Hleb

I WONDER WHY WE HAVE HIT A BRICK WALL??

Post by I Hate Hleb »

THIS DEBATE HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR SO LONG AND WITH SO MUCH DISAGREEMENT AMONG THE CONTRIBUTORS, THAT I DON'T KNOW ANY LONGER WHETHER I'M ARTHUR OR MARTHA!! :roll: :roll:

I KNOW IT'S BEEN REJECTED BY SOME PEOPLE ON HERE BEFORE, BUT I CAN'T HELP FEELING THAT IF THE CRITICS COULD GET OVER THE FACT IT WAS WRITTEN BY A MANC, THE IDEAL SONG WOULD BE 'WONDERWALL'.

IT'S A GREAT, UP-LIFTING SONG; HAS AN EASY TO REMEMBER AND SING ALONG TO MELODY; A CHORUS THAT GETS THE SPINE-TINGLING, AND IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE TO WRITE A FEW LYRIC CHANGES TO MAKE IT MORE APPROPRIATE TO ARSENAL.

OTHER PEOPLE EARLIER IN THE THREAD CAME UP WITH SOME NEW LYRICS, BUT JUST TO SHOW YOU HOW EASY IT WOULD BE TO ADAPT, I'VE QUICKLY WRITTEN A FEW LYRICS. FOR EXAMPLE - AND THESE DON'T NECESSARILY HAVE TO BE THE NEW LYRICS:

VERSE
TODAY, IS GONNA BE THE DAY, THAT YOU'RE GONNA FACE THE ARS-E-NAL,
BY NOW, YOU SHOULD HAVE FOUND OUT, THAT YOU'RE GONNA LEAVE HERE WITH FUCK ALL,
I DON'T BELIEVE THAT ANY-BODY, PLAYS THE WAY WE DO, WITH SO MUCH STYLE,

BRIDGE
AND ALL THE GOALS THAT ARSENAL SCORE ARE BLINDING,
THE FOOTBALL THAT WE PLAY IS MESMERISING,
THERE IS ONLY ONE THING LEFT, FOR US TO SAY TO YOU
MIGHT AS WELL LEAVE NOW,

CHORUS
YES MAYBE, THIS TEAM WILL SOMETIMES DRIVE ME CRAZY
COZ AFTER-ALL, WE'RE THE ARS-E-NAL
AND MAYBE, YOU'RE GONNA BE THE ONE THAT SAVES ME,
COZ AFTER ALL, YOU'RE MY ARS-E-NAL

NOW I JUST MADE THAT UP ON THE SPOT - WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU CAN TELL!! :roll: :lol: - AND I FEEL IT IS QUITE EFFECTIVE. GIVEN A BIT MORE WORK ON THE LYRICS, WE COULD HAVE A MASTER-PIECE ON OUR HANDS!! 8)

NOW, IF ONLY WE CAN RID OURSELVES OF THE UNNECESSARY RESTRICTIONS PLACED BY SOMEONE (GOONER.ED?) ON THE CRITERIA FOR THE ANTHEM AT THE BEGINNING, THEN WE MIGHT START GETTING SOMEWHERE!! :roll: :wink:

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

just to put everyone out of their misery. i'll close the vote after the weekend. then it's over to the club to get on with it. i will make an attempt to compile a complete list of the suggested songs for the club (unless anyone else fancies that onerous task) and there is nothing to say that the tune ultimately chosen will necessarily be taken from our shortlist. the vote is very much an expression of interest.

and although i agree wonderwall is a great tune, surely, the associations of its writer and performers are just too strong with man city. additionally, remember that the average age of a premiership football attendee is in their late 40's - and that is probably true at arsenal. so do you think the over 50s are more likely to sing something from the mid 1990s or the 1960s? and i am not sure changing the words is on the agenda unless a tune does rise from the stands without the club needing to assist at all. but let's face it. if we can't even agree on a song to pick, that simply is not going to happen.

the atmosphere needs a boot up the arse and i am afraid, leaving it to spontaneity is going to just continue the gradual decline. 95% of those in the stadium will think, 'what the f**k's all this about?' when the anthem is first tried. and it will take a while to change people's view, decreasing by about 2% each time. so after 40 plus matches - a season and a half of football, it will have become habit, people won't feel self-conscious about joining in and on the big nights/afternoons a lot of people will just give it the full vocal treatment and we will have a noise and a half as the players line up in the tunnel. i believe it is possible and if for any reason it fails to take root, at least i'll know that before the ship sunk, this particular rat had a go at salvaging the situation.

let's face it, the place is a morgue. this is an opportunity to try and turn it around, so let's take it. after the anthem question has moved on from onlinegooner, it'll be time to come to a consensus on some decent chants for the players. there's a few crackers for eduardo, and you are going to hate the idea of this one but funnily enough, it works...

sent by email from Paul Saunders (presumably no relation)

From the musical 'Annie' and the song 'Tomorrow'

Eduardo, Eduardo,
we love you - Eduardo,
He scores for the Arsenal...

naff as anything, but as i say it does actually pan pretty well. another one for the pile

Herd

The Morgue

Post by Herd »

Ed your anthem catching on by repeatedly palying it is brainwashing and scary.
I allready feel part of Orwells 1984 when im on the tube bieng told to touch in touch out ,take water with me,and lookout for suspect packages.

MK im a very young 49 ya cheeky chap ! :)

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

gooner.ed wrote:
after the anthem question has moved on from onlinegooner, it'll be time to come to a consensus on some decent chants for the players
Is the plan still to email a list of them to RedAction? Maybe we could/should also email the list out to the major Arsenal supporters groups around the UK (a lot of them are being featured on Arsenal.com this week)? I'm sure a lot of them have members that travel to games (home & away). That way, if/when anybody at the Grove tries to get the new chants going the more people that already know them the more likely it is to take off.

gooner.ed also wrote:
there's a few crackers for eduardo, and you are going to hate the idea of this one but funnily enough, it works...

sent by email from Paul Saunders (presumably no relation)

From the musical 'Annie' and the song 'Tomorrow'

Eduardo, Eduardo,
we love you - Eduardo,
He scores for the Arsenal...
I think its fair to say me and you have different ideas regarding football songs but kudos for the work you put in to improve the atmosphere at the Grove. How about this one for Dudu:

To the tune of "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" by ?...

By the liiiight (by the light, by the light)
Of the Silvery Moooon
We'll have the silver by Juuuune
Oh Da Silva's a Goo-ooo-oon

gooner.ed
Site Admin

Post by gooner.ed »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:gooner.ed wrote:
after the anthem question has moved on from onlinegooner, it'll be time to come to a consensus on some decent chants for the players
Is the plan still to email a list of them to RedAction? Maybe we could/should also email the list out to the major Arsenal supporters groups around the UK (a lot of them are being featured on Arsenal.com this week)? I'm sure a lot of them have members that travel to games (home & away). That way, if/when anybody at the Grove tries to get the new chants going the more people that already know them the more likely it is to take off.

sounds like a plan. in the campaign to improve atmosphere by a number of suggestions, the gooner will certainly be liasing closely with redaction. and there's no reason not to let the supporters clubs know what we are up to. i am even thinking of starting a podcast uniquely for the trying out of new chants, but need someone pretty adept at either guitar or banjo (for those that listened to baddiel and skinner's excellent world cup podcasts last year they will know where i am coming from). anyone out there that fits the bill? :?:

TheOne2Smooth

Post by TheOne2Smooth »

I think the outhere brothers Wiggle wiggle should be our athem lol

stearmaster

Post by stearmaster »

what anthem is winning the vote?

All_Arsenal_1886

Re: I WONDER WHY WE HAVE HIT A BRICK WALL??

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

I Hate Hleb wrote:THIS DEBATE HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR SO LONG AND WITH SO MUCH DISAGREEMENT AMONG THE CONTRIBUTORS, THAT I DON'T KNOW ANY LONGER WHETHER I'M ARTHUR OR MARTHA!! :roll: :roll:

I KNOW IT'S BEEN REJECTED BY SOME PEOPLE ON HERE BEFORE, BUT I CAN'T HELP FEELING THAT IF THE CRITICS COULD GET OVER THE FACT IT WAS WRITTEN BY A MANC, THE IDEAL SONG WOULD BE 'WONDERWALL'.

IT'S A GREAT, UP-LIFTING SONG; HAS AN EASY TO REMEMBER AND SING ALONG TO MELODY; A CHORUS THAT GETS THE SPINE-TINGLING, AND IT SHOULD BE SIMPLE TO WRITE A FEW LYRIC CHANGES TO MAKE IT MORE APPROPRIATE TO ARSENAL.

OTHER PEOPLE EARLIER IN THE THREAD CAME UP WITH SOME NEW LYRICS, BUT JUST TO SHOW YOU HOW EASY IT WOULD BE TO ADAPT, I'VE QUICKLY WRITTEN A FEW LYRICS. FOR EXAMPLE - AND THESE DON'T NECESSARILY HAVE TO BE THE NEW LYRICS:

VERSE
TODAY, IS GONNA BE THE DAY, THAT YOU'RE GONNA FACE THE ARS-E-NAL,
BY NOW, YOU SHOULD HAVE FOUND OUT, THAT YOU'RE GONNA LEAVE HERE WITH FUCK ALL,
I DON'T BELIEVE THAT ANY-BODY, PLAYS THE WAY WE DO, WITH SO MUCH STYLE,

BRIDGE
AND ALL THE GOALS THAT ARSENAL SCORE ARE BLINDING,
THE FOOTBALL THAT WE PLAY IS MESMERISING,
THERE IS ONLY ONE THING LEFT, FOR US TO SAY TO YOU
MIGHT AS WELL LEAVE NOW,

CHORUS
YES MAYBE, THIS TEAM WILL SOMETIMES DRIVE ME CRAZY
COZ AFTER-ALL, WE'RE THE ARS-E-NAL
AND MAYBE, YOU'RE GONNA BE THE ONE THAT SAVES ME,
COZ AFTER ALL, YOU'RE MY ARS-E-NAL

NOW I JUST MADE THAT UP ON THE SPOT - WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU CAN TELL!! :roll: :lol: - AND I FEEL IT IS QUITE EFFECTIVE. GIVEN A BIT MORE WORK ON THE LYRICS, WE COULD HAVE A MASTER-PIECE ON OUR HANDS!! 8)

NOW, IF ONLY WE CAN RID OURSELVES OF THE UNNECESSARY RESTRICTIONS PLACED BY SOMEONE (GOONER.ED?) ON THE CRITERIA FOR THE ANTHEM AT THE BEGINNING, THEN WE MIGHT START GETTING SOMEWHERE!! :roll: :wink:
I think this has been the best one yet i said wonderwall but these lyrics are great :D

All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

I have just thought of Maybe its because im a londoner song used by 95.8 capital radio for an advert change the song to Maybe its because im an Aresnal fan, Swich the lyrics abit and we could have a good song :lol: 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9D1EXtOt4 this is the capital ad just incase you have not seen it :lol:

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

I agree with All Arsenal 1886's first post above.

Come on guys!! It's staring us in the chops yet some of you don't want to face up to it!! 'Wonderwall' is absolutely perfect!!!! 8) :) And I don't buy the 'it was written by a manc, so it's disqualified' argument (that's just being petty); nor the one claiming it wouldn't appeal to the over 40's! That song was played so often and became so well known that even Grannies in their 70's would recognise it, let alone blokes in their fourties and fifties!! :roll:

As for All Arsenal 1886's second post: Am I the only one who sees that there would be a huge irony in us adopting 'Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner'? :oops: :? :roll:

For fecks sake, let's be grown-up about it and sort out this bloody anthem once and for all - as long, of course, as it's not 'Impossible Dream'!! Now that would be shit!! :roll: :wink: :lol:

rambo

Post by rambo »

impossible dream is perfect, lyrics are perfect.

whatever anthem we use, we must keep the original lyrics.

Herd

Leonard Cohen ?

Post by Herd »

Love the man, love the song,don't think it's a hit for us though.

I'm sure he's a Spurs fan,he even wrote a book for them "Beautiful Losers" !