Old gits terrace legends

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Old gits terrace legends

Post by charliegeorgewhocanhitem »

Johnny Hoy, anyone here remember him or got any stories? I can see that it's mostly young whippersnappers posting here so I'm not expecting any replies to this :wink: When I first stood on the norf bank in the early 70s everyone reckoned they knew him including me but most of us were liars, including me :wink: I remember the chant of "Johnny's gonna get yer" that was sung to any away fans at Highbury in those days but I don't think I ever actually clapped eyes on the geezer who's sadly dead now. Anyhoo, if anyone does have a story from those days I'd be glad to hear it.

Cus Geezer

Post by Cus Geezer »

He's mentioned as being the leader of the North bank by the Gooner edition in May 1992 that gave a rough history of the terrace.

Of course I didn't know him personally, I was 13 when the North bank went.

In what way was he the North Bank leader then, like our version of Cas Pennant?

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

Yep, I spose you could say he was our version of Cas Pennant. As I said, as far as I know I never actually clapped eyes on the geezer, just heard stories as a young impressionable teenager. Some good ones about away games at Chelsea in the late 60s early 70s if my poor aging memory serves me well.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I started going in 1975 - maybe that's a bit late for Johnny Hoy. The name doesn't ring any bells.

A couple of more names to throw into the ring from the early 80's. Anyone remember:
Harry - used to stand with a mob along the West Side terrace (at the front) and had great rapport with the North Bank ("Harry, Harry give us a wave....").
Legsy - used to run coaches to away games

And does anyone know if the legendary Denton & Jenkins are still around?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MK Gould wrote:I started going in 1975 - maybe that's a bit late for Johnny Hoy. The name doesn't ring any bells.

A couple of more names to throw into the ring from the early 80's. Anyone remember:
Harry - used to stand with a mob along the West Side terrace (at the front) and had great rapport with the North Bank ("Harry, Harry give us a wave....").

Before the Rocket became my new match day watering hole, I used to drink in the Cannon Club (a mate knew Andy the owner) and the Arsenal Tavern a bit. I got talking to this little Irish old dear that was taking money on the door for a disco in the bar on the right and the head doorman (a really old Jamaican guy that was apparantly well dangerous) the night before a West Sham game back in 2001, I think.

Anyway, one thing led to another and we got talking about the "old days". The Ja reckoned he knew a lot of the old N5 lads that ran with The Herd and a good few of the old Gooner firm. He reckoned he knew Denton but that Jenkins was an urban legend. Then again, the old Irish girl reckoned that Jenkins used to drink in the Tavern. So who knows... :?

He did tell me that it was the Gooners that came up with the term "Scarfers" for non-hooligan fans. Before that we were refered to as "civilians". :roll:

You live and learn, huh..? :wink:

Chunky The Gooner

Post by Chunky The Gooner »

Was Denton the guy who was standing on the tables in Mcdonalds Bruce Grove after we knocked Spurs out of the 1987 Littlewoods cup semi final at the lane in 1987 ? Heard the name Jenkins but it was before my time

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

DB10GOONER wrote:He reckoned he knew Denton but that Jenkins was an urban legend. Then again, the old Irish girl reckoned that Jenkins used to drink in the Tavern. So who knows... :?:
Jenkins was no urban legend! He's older than Denton - and white (Denton is black). He looked as mean as fuck. Huge guy and one eye that sort of looked in a different direction to the other (maybe glass?). Denton was "the man" in the early to late-eighties. I think Jenkins may have been more late 70's, although he was certainly still around well into the 80's. My memory was that Denton was quite approachable, liked a joke (rumour had it that he joined the National Front!) and would chat about football (unlike some of his mates). Jenkins? Never spoke to the guy - he just scared the beejesus out of me!

stats

Post by stats »

My Dad knows Denton
I was in a pub with all the lads in stroud green before the Spurs home match at Highbury a year ago
Everyone as my Dad says gets together on the big matches

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

MK Gould wrote:I started going in 1975 - maybe that's a bit late for Johnny Hoy. The name doesn't ring any bells.

Funny how some things completely disappear from your memory so thanks for reminding me about Harry, after your little reminder I remember him and his little west side terrace crew and the Harry give us a wave chant, if my memories are correct he was quite a tall guy with long dark hair. Another pair of Highbury "characters" were Canon and Badger who always stood at the very front of the North Bank, directly behind the goal, I think they were husband and wife, Canon, the wife had a union flag with a canon in the middle that would be seen waving after every Arsenal goal in the 70s and Badger the husband always wore a jacket covered in Arsenal badges, anyone remember them?

charliegeorgewhocanhitem

[quote="DB10GOONER"][quote="MK He reckoned he knew Denton but that Jenkins was an urban legend. Then again, the old Irish girl reckoned that Jenkins used to drink in the Tavern. So who knows... :?

Jenkins definitely was'nt an urban legend, as somebody else has already said, he was earlier than Denton, around in the mid 70s. My main memory of Jenkins was seeing him and his firm waiting outside the supporters club for West Hams mob after a game against them. One of those 70s games where West Ham had had 1000s in the Norf Bank and it was kicking off all over the place.

Wrexham Gooner

Post by Wrexham Gooner »

I have been browsing this site for a while now, but this post made me register and respond. I remember Denton very well. Particularly Leeds away circa 1981? most boring game ever 0-0 and I remember the attempted walk to the station ! Also West Ham at home 1982 ? when they came into the North Bank with smoke bombs. When the smoke cleared it seemed that everyone was on the pitch except me and Denton, Denton because well he was Denton, and me because I was too scared to move or even s**t myself.

stats

Post by stats »

The only reason that ICF took over the North Bank was everyone that could fight was in the Clock End :lol:

nuttygoonerpaul

Post by nuttygoonerpaul »

I have been browsing this site for a while now, but this post made me register and respond. I remember Denton very well. Particularly Leeds away circa 1981? most boring game ever 0-0 and I remember the attempted walk to the station ! Also West Ham at home 1982 ? when they came into the North Bank with smoke bombs. When the smoke cleared it seemed that everyone was on the pitch except me and Denton, Denton because well he was Denton, and me because I was too scared to move or even s**t myself. ,

sorry boys i was there, run from west ham sorry never

nuttygoonerpaul

Post by nuttygoonerpaul »

i was there that day middle of north bank , i got a black eye , but it felt good , fight for my arsenal .

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Bloody hell....we're on a roll now! Memory lane!

My first match was as a 14 year old at the FAC Quarter Final home to West Ham in 1975 ("No mum, of course there isn't going to be any trouble...."). Hundreds (if not thousands!) of West Ham in the North Bank, and I remember one seriously crazy gooner who, with a rallying cry, charged in on his own - only to be carried out a few minutes later looking battered. We lost 0-2 but boy was I hooked!!

I well remember badger and his mad looking missus! A serious number of badges (and a flat cap?)!

Harry - yes, long (dark) hair. And I think he always wore a long coat. I don't remember there being trouble from his crew. He just seemed intent on enjoying himself.

Denton - does anyone remember when we lost away to Winterslag in Belgium (apologies to those who remember me mentioning this game before...). Great memories of that night - including gooners throwing bricks at Terry Neil who had gone over to the fans to try to quell the trouble - but main one was seeing Denton being beaten over the head with an umbrella by a plain clothes copper!

Remember the guy(s) who managed to move around even the most packed North bank, selling bags of peanuts? And what about the Metropolitan Police band, with Constable Alex Morgan (think that was his name!).

Lastly - what about Judy & Jill - the two women who could be seen every other week at London mainline stations, dressed in red & white, selling tickets for the football specials.

We'll have to start a regular, where are they now spot!