George Graham - Good or Bad?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Poll ended at Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:27 pm

George is Great
94%
George is a Greedy Goat
6%

Total votes: 33

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

There's often mention of 1989 here and George Graham.
That day at Anfield is the greatest football memory of my life and I'll always be grateful to George for it.
But what's his legacy at Arsenal?
I loved George, but was devastated when he ripped us off in that bung scandal.
The bottom line, for me, is he condemned us to players like Pal Lyderson and John Jensen so he could fill his own pockets.
He put George before Arsenal.
Interested to know what other Gooners think...

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

LEGEND
just look at the trophies he won us:

87 league cup
89 league championship
91 league championship
93 league cup
93 fa cup
94 cup winners cup :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

skipper

Post by skipper »

If for nothing else, he should be remembered for putting together probably the best and most famous BACK 5 in history of English football. I trhink Arsene might be secretly thanking him for that too :wink: :barscarf:

perry groves was a legend

Post by perry groves was a legend »

He is tainted for me,split into two legacies.
The legend that played and managed arsenal to trophies and then the fucker that robbed money on the club and went on to win silverware with the spuds.

skipper

Post by skipper »

perry groves was a legend wrote:He is tainted for me,split into two legacies.
The legend that played and managed arsenal to trophies and then the fucker that robbed money on the club and went on to win silverware with the spuds.
Maybe that was his way of rebelling against lack of funds from the board? :hemademe: :D

perry groves was a legend

Post by perry groves was a legend »

skipper wrote:
perry groves was a legend wrote:He is tainted for me,split into two legacies.
Maybe that was his way of rebelling against lack of funds from the board? :hemademe: :D
Maybe,but he was the highest paid manager in the league at the time if memory serves me correct. :shock: :shock:

augie

Post by augie »

The man is a God. End.Of.Story 8)

On the bung business, correct me if I'm wrong, GG bought 2 players and paid the asking price and after the deal was completed hauge then gave him a kick-back. The investigation at the time maintained that he actually wanted to buy these players so there was no corrupt reasons for these purchases so I dont get the problem here - how many people up and down the country get kick-backs when they throw business to certain people or companies ? How is that taking money from the club ? If the selling clubs had of dealt directly with GG or our club then this situation would never have arose but instead they sought the services of an agent, declared to him their asking price and anything above that he kept and therein lies the problem. Still have to say though that whatever the wrongs or rights of taking the money I still cannot agree that he took money from the club

digger

Post by digger »

I'm more pissed off that he went to Spurs than got a brown envelopes to be honest. I reckon at the time, almost every manager did that. Some still do now ( evidence), but most football clubs have turned from "clubs" into businesses in the last two decades.

Legend for what he achieved though; I'm too young to remember before his reign, but I gather that the team he inherited were pretty awful.

Kiki

Post by Kiki »

LITTLEWOODS CHALLENGE CUP

BARCLAYS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE

BARCLAYS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE

TENNENT'S F.A. CHARITY SHIELD

THE COCA-COLA CUP

THE FA CUP

EUROPEAN CUP WINNERS' CUP

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Sorry Kiwi but that's a silly question. :oops: Despite the bung-taking and even going to manage Spurs, how can George Graham be anything other than an Arsenal great? :? 8) :lol: :wink:

Kiwi Gooner

Post by Kiwi Gooner »

Hmmm... if it were that silly a question we wouldn't have such a mixed bag of responses... :wink:

mrgnu1958

Post by mrgnu1958 »

imo George Graham is an Arsenal legend.
EVERYONE makes mistakes.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Stealing from the club is a massive mistake **** but he was a manager that brought us back into the big time and for that he is a god. What sticks in my throat a bit is that he wanted to manage sp*rs i was gutted the day he went to them.

Overall a god though :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I doubt that I will be as excited as an Arsenal fan as I was that night at Anfield - my first league title as a fan and against the team I'd grown to loathe throughout the 70s and 80s. For that one moment alone, GG will always be a hero of mine.

I don't condone what he did by taking backhanders but football was rife with that at the time and a number of other undoubted offenders, including Cloughie, Venables, Atkinson etc managed to bugger off into the distance before being caught out.

Personally the Spurs episode after he left us didn't bother me. In fact we should be proud that it took a Gooner to finally bring them some success and even then they couldn't find it in themselves to give him the praise he deserved preferring a series of Messiahs like Ardiles, Hoddle and Gross.

GG - legend, and always will be.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Kiwi Gooner wrote:Hmmm... if it were that silly a question we wouldn't have such a mixed bag of responses... :wink:
Fair enough, but the vote is as one-sided as Mike Riley during a match between Man Utd and Arsenal!!! :oops: :oops: :wink: And I expect it to stay that way.

Yes, there will be gooners that aren't happy with what George done with regards the bung; and probably even more, like flash, that are pissed off with him for going to Spurs. Yet despite both those things, you'd have to be a really unappreciative and cold-hearted bastard to not acknowledge that Graham was and will remain an Arsenal Legend - a very good player and a great manager, who contributed enormously and positively to our history. 8) :lol: :wink: