THE GOONER - Issue 204

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Rob

THE GOONER - Issue 204

Post by Rob »

Great front and back covers.

Nice piece on Highbury by Simon Rose and an exclusive Cesc interview that I'm saving for Saturday.

Trouble is that the 'curse' of the Gooner is always prone to bite us on our collective bottoms. So the article bigging up Cliche whilst well intended, neglected the fact that he's been more down than up this last year. And given that, Alves and Maxwell tore our left flank to shreds in that first half.

Likewise - the Cesc interview. If he has broken his leg that's his season gone (and ours ? :( )

But my one major gripe is the tendency - and it's the same on here - for someone to take a segment of our fan base and lay into them for their supposed shortcomings. This time it's the alleged dearth of musical talent among us by Robert Exley.

It's all well and good having a pop at David Soul because he's not really a singer. But it is a bit much to describe Dido as 'bland' and try to blame her for Islington's demographics !

It would be more to the point to say that she is much like the Club she backs. She writes and arranges the composition on her own material; plays much of the instrumentation there-upon and is pretty successful with it. At least she's not some plastic, kareoke, mime artist.

Even I know Phil Collins is a Spurs fan, so there is no bullet to dodge there. But there was no mention of Roger Daltry - like Dido a huge fan and a Season Ticket holder - who even wrote an anthem for Highbury when we left the ground. Whether you like the Who or not, it's hard to deny they are amongst the biggest bands of the last 50 years.

Thank God he didn't try to pin the blame for Chas and Dave on us as well

:evil:

Nul pointe !!!!!