One Greek Cypriot’s View: Arsenal Flag Ban is Madness!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

The article posted by a supposed Greek Cypriot on your website about thinking the flag ban is madness lacks total credibility, as I actually doubt he is Greek Cypriot at all. Take it from a Greek Cypriot that I have never met any members of my community in the UK or Cyprus that are comfertable with the descecration of a mountain side in Cyprus which has a giant Turkish flag and occupied Cyprus flag painted on it side by side. This act of ridiculous overt nationalism, which is borders on facism in Turkey, was done so to taunt the Greek Cypriot, Maronite Cypriot and Armenian Cypriot communites in Cyprus, who were ethnically cleansed from their homeland in 1974 by the Turkish militry, by painting these huge flags on mountains which faced the Green Line that segregates the island.

While I think that banning national flags at Arsenal is over the top, I dont think political flags which are knowingly going to offend people should be allowed inside the ground.