THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bob Bayliss

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Bob Bayliss »

If it is a foregone conclusion that Wenger will be allowed to sign an extension and is taking up the option, why would it not have been announced by now, especially given the team's little (meaningless) run of wins?

It cannot be because it would deter season tIcket renewals, as many people wait until the deadline of 1 June to renew, by which time it will have to be announced as his current contract will have expired.

What possible reason is there for not announcing he is definitely staying (if that is the case) ahead of the Cup Final? None that I can think of. It simply doesn't make sense.

That is why I believe it is not a done deal, the boardroom war is still raging around him and missIng out on both top 4 and the FA Cup will tip the scales against him. Not long to wait.....

NickF

Post by NickF »

Redarmy wrote:
NickF wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:Like it/him or not he speaks much Truth.

He talks about doing banners on pre-season tour but has done precious little for the cause in the last month.

Did he not say exactly that....

He would not be bringing out the banners...and would just see how the team get on till end of season?

seems to be he has been champion of Wenger out?
Seems to me, putting the banners away and seeing how the team gets on is doing nothing to keep the pressure on.
That is largely why are in the situation, because most people who want Wenger Out do nothing, which is of course their right, but doesn't make them immune from criticism.

Last season he was very much WengerOut, but precious little this season. More content with filming the protest than joining it. Like Wenger you cannot live on past glorys.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Has he gone yet?

General

Post by General »

Bob Bayliss wrote:If it is a foregone conclusion that Wenger will be allowed to sign an extension and is taking up the option, why would it not have been announced by now, especially given the team's little (meaningless) run of wins?

It cannot be because it would deter season tIcket renewals, as many people wait until the deadline of 1 June to renew, by which time it will have to be announced as his current contract will have expired.

What possible reason is there for not announcing he is definitely staying (if that is the case) ahead of the Cup Final? None that I can think of. It simply doesn't make sense.

That is why I believe it is not a done deal, the boardroom war is still raging around him and missIng out on both top 4 and the FA Cup will tip the scales against him. Not long to wait.....
If I remember correctly, his contract renewal has always been announced at the end of the season as a formality. They've never made an in-season announcement of a renewal so the current situation is well in keeping with the way they've handled things historically. I think the only difference is there has always been strong indications that he will continue and the board has made public statements to this effect. They can't do that now because of all the upheaval going on. I agree that our last 2 remaining games will have some bearing on whether he stays or goes.

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

Does anybody think that the vain old charlatan wouldn't have announced any impeding departure before our last game at home? It would be rammed down everyone's throats as a celebration of the 'great man' and he'd have the chance to milk the adoration of 60,000 cultists.

He doesn't leave without the biggest testimonial style fan fare seen since the death of Princess Diana

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

SouthCoastArsenal wrote:Does anybody think that the vain old charlatan wouldn't have announced any impeding departure before our last game at home? It would be rammed down everyone's throats as a celebration of the 'great man' and he'd have the chance to milk the adoration of 60,000 cultists.

He doesn't leave without the biggest testimonial style fan fare seen since the death of Princess Diana

Yes i agree he is staying but i have a feeling he has made a massive mistake for himself. Once Sanchez leaves the fans will even be more livid. All clubs are going for the few quality players out there and we didn't have a good record in the transfer window while we were in the Champions League.
I don't see next season being anything other than a disaster and it will get ugly as the fans get more and more pissed off.
What player on earth would come to our club while it is so toxic. Sanchez would stay even if we were not in the CL if we paid him wages on par with Chelsea, United and City as well if he believed Arsenal could challenge for the title.
If this season was a battle then I feel next season will be all out war.

NickF

Post by NickF »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
SouthCoastArsenal wrote:Does anybody think that the vain old charlatan wouldn't have announced any impeding departure before our last game at home? It would be rammed down everyone's throats as a celebration of the 'great man' and he'd have the chance to milk the adoration of 60,000 cultists.

Yes i agree he is staying but i have a feeling he has made a massive mistake for himself. Once Sanchez leaves the fans will even be more livid. All clubs are going for the few quality players out there and we didn't have a good record in the transfer window while we were in the Champions League.
I don't see next season being anything other than a disaster and it will get ugly as the fans get more and more pissed off.
What player on earth would come to our club while it is so toxic. Sanchez would stay even if we were not in the CL if we paid him wages on par with Chelsea, United and City as well if he believed Arsenal could challenge for the title.
No it won't, they will sit there and take it like they have the last few seasons. If people couldn't be bothered to do anything this season why do you think next year will be any different?
Last edited by NickF on Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Tried to get Evening Standard to confront Wenger on all his BS comments (Augie I tried mate)... loads of excuses. ESPN took comments from Mark yesterday.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/club/arsenal/35 ... senal-fans

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

NickF wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:

No it won't, they will sit there and take it like they have the last few seasons. If people couldn't be bothered to do anything this season why do you think next year will be any different?
There may not be a majority of people inside the ground prepared to take up arms against Wenger, but he has passed the stage where the whole ground would fawn over him in grateful thanks for all he once did. Three years ago, yes, but not now - he has killed the love, affection, even respect and his legacy is a stadium full of day-trippers and apathetic longer-term supporters who have little pride in the team but can't kick the habit. Even he can't be so lacking in self-awareness that he would subject himself to such humiliation as the tumbleweed that would greet him from the zombies. No announcement of his departure before after the Cup Final would be consistent with a quiet, dignified announcement via the media, which is as good as he can hope for and frankly more than he now deserves.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

The Sun are having a go at him this morning. If he stays, he's opening up a whole world of misery for himself. The press will turn on him even more and I reckon they'll just ridicule him at every opportunity.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... -league-2/

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Agreed.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

FFS after all we know and heard about Wenger over the years, does anyone really expect him leave?????

in the words of Arsenal fan TV.....are you MAD BLUD?????

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

^^This 100%.

Also, they have always announced these things at the end of the season. Arsenal will want to spin the contract extension, put a public face on it of "Nothing has changed or gone wrong, this is how we do things, always have, always will, nothing to see here, move along". :lol:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

So true hadn't thought of it like that before :cry:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

you know what I am just sick and tired of this club all just being about HIM !

the bigger picture is that our rivals are steadily improving and we are a fading force and NOTHING is being done to address this.
where is the ambition of the CLUB ???

at any other club Wenger would not have the option of staying any longer, by now he would be forcibly ejected from the premises with the rubbish he is coming out with, let alone the insipid performances on the pitch.

it is likely that Sanchez is leaving this summer - yet unbelievably although he is the only member of the playing staff that should be retained, this story is playing second to the Wenger story. It is unbelievable. This is the worst state that I can ever remember the club in and i have been supporting for 35 years :oops: