THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Midz »

Arsene Wenger plans to see out two-year Arsenal contract

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... l-contract

Well, that just really spoiled my evening!

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Midz wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:20 pm

He's at an age where no other clubs will come in for him. Those days are long gone, so he is going to cling to Arsenal for dear life. It's pretty pathetic really. I don't believe that it is for the money, but rather his fear of life afterwards. He mentioned it in a couple of interviews. He's only leaving Arsenal if he is sacked and that would be dressed up as 'mutual consent' or a move to an ambassadorial role (only if he can't land a manager gig elsewhere).

It is really similar to the man who is forced into early retirement at his job and keeps coming back to the office because he doesn't know what to do with himself. Wenger knows no other life than football and he doesn't really care if clinging on tarnishes his legacy in our eyes because the life with football in it on a day to day level is much more important.

I really hope that it ends this year, so that I can go back to Arsenal. I have barely watched any games this year because of the incredible boredom of the obvious direction of the club.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

begeegs wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:54 am
Midz wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:20 pm

He's at an age where no other clubs will come in for him. Those days are long gone, so he is going to cling to Arsenal for dear life. It's pretty pathetic really. I don't believe that it is for the money, but rather his fear of life afterwards. He mentioned it in a couple of interviews. He's only leaving Arsenal if he is sacked and that would be dressed up as 'mutual consent' or a move to an ambassadorial role (only if he can't land a manager gig elsewhere).

It is really similar to the man who is forced into early retirement at his job and keeps coming back to the office because he doesn't know what to do with himself. Wenger knows no other life than football and he doesn't really care if clinging on tarnishes his legacy in our eyes because the life with football in it on a day to day level is much more important.

I really hope that it ends this year, so that I can go back to Arsenal. I have barely watched any games this year because of the incredible boredom of the obvious direction of the club.
The often asked question “who else is there ?” should be turned round and asked “who else would have him ?”

Certainly none of the top,top clubs, who want progress and improvement not stability.
Europa league league is his level now, and that is exactly where we are and will remain under his torturous rule.

It has been said he has no life outside of football, so yes, we are the only thing that keep him going.

Like you, I haven’t watched a single minute of live matches, only catching up on highlights as it is far too boring by and large and I have found other things to utilise my time with which bring greater satisfaction, happiness etc

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Not to be a negative bastard on a Saturday morning :) but the idea that Wenger was going to leave in the summer, was based on a bad run of results(which happens every year) which makes fuck all difference to his position at the club. Look at last season, he finally missed out on the holy grail of the VT, and on top of that, allowed his two most valuable assets at the club to run their contracts down to their final year, even having a fight with Sanchez in the middle of the season, and was still given a new deal. The remit for Wenger is clear, balance the books, and as long as we are in the green, he will still have a job. I do believe his power has been eroded somewhat, but that's the most you can hope for as a fan, as neither Kroenke or Gazidis or the board give a shit about on field success. I wouldn't be surprised if he signs an extension beyond 2019, this is the mess we are stuck with as a club.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

At least this should help concentrate the minds of those who imagine he might have the grace to bow out willingly in May. No chance- we have to redouble our efforts to campaign for change.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The difference this season that have called Wenger into to question with his bosses, are not those players he signed, but those that have left and questioned his decisions.

Sanchez was inevitably going to leave but players like Gibbs, Chamberlain and Walcott leaving, players Wenger trusted as squad players for a long time, would make the board question his capability to maintain a motivated squad. Mertesacker and Cech have spoken out against Wenger, two senior players with a wealth of experience behind them, players btw that Wenger hasn't kept the like of at the club in the past. He's usually shipped them out.
Finishing outside the top 4 for two consecutive seasons, and I don't expect this team to win the Europa League, will mean a drop in sponsorship money coming in, which as we all know, is Kroenke's priority. To me it means the club moving Wenger on. So, just because he's afraid of life without football should we keep him in the job ? Someone will offer him a job in the international game.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Finishing outside the top 4 for two consecutive seasons, and I don't expect this team to win the Europa League, will mean a drop in sponsorship money coming in, which as we all know, is Kroenke's priority. To me it means the club moving Wenger on. So, just because he's afraid of life without football should we keep him in the job ? Someone will offer him a job in the international game.
But as already explained Kroenke is not an ambitious owner, he knows it would require significant investment to get back in the top 4, he is not the sort to gamble with 'his' money, even outside the CL places the PL is a money making machine regardless of where you finish, low risk high reward, yes he could potentially make more as a CL club but it would require him sanctioning the club spending money that he has already set aside for his own needs.

He doesn't want Wenger to go because Wenger is deflecting a lot of the blame off of him, I don't know why more people haven't worked this out yet!, Wenger is caught up in his own egotistical world and hasn't even noticed this is what is going on.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Finishing outside top four for two seasons on the bounce is going to be noticeable, even for our unambitious board. Every time we scraped fourth we kept the money coming in but this season alone should show the board that last year's league position wasn't a blip and we are several regressing as a team and we are no longer competing within a particular bracket. For the board, an FA Cup win is a distraction. Had we not beaten Chelsea in the final in May we would have probably seen the back of Wenger and we would have a new manager by now. Hell, had Gibbs not cleared Elmohamady's shot off the line in the Cup Final in 2014, Wenger wouldn't have signed a new deal. As much as we as fans LOVE winning cups they have extended Wenger's stay as they provide distractions from ever depleting league form.

I don't think Wenger can really get out of this situation unless we win the league next year, or at least provide a convincing title challenge. We're not lacking a striker in the EL until Lacazette comes back from injury (Danny Welbeck isn't a striker) so it is incredibly unlikely that we will go on to win that without a goal threat. I honestly don't see us winning the League Cup vs City next week. Losing a cup final and being knocked out the EL in the next round is probably what we're going to get. It won't be enough to distract the board from the terrible league seasons we keep having.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

3 years ago an investment of 150m in the squad would have got us actually competing. Because of this shit ‘sustainable model’, it will now cost 600m to make us competitive. We’ve missed the boat, failed to move with the times, we buried our head in the sand and now, as a competitive football club we’re fucked. The only way Arsenal will be a top team again is if we get a billionaire owner to bankroll us, otherwise it ain’t happening, it’s too late for Arsenal Football Club.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 pm
3 years ago an investment of 150m in the squad would have got us actually competing. Because of this shit ‘sustainable model’, it will now cost 600m to make us competitive. We’ve missed the boat, failed to move with the times, we buried our head in the sand and now, as a competitive football club we’re fucked. The only way Arsenal will be a top team again is if we get a billionaire owner to bankroll us, otherwise it ain’t happening, it’s too late for Arsenal Football Club.
Sad but true.

Don't worry though, Kroenke Jr. is on his way to tell us how to become a successful sporting entity, just like the sh*t he and his parasite father have in the US.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... enger.html

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I think this is all happening now because the board do not believe we will pull back the 8 point deficit for top4, we won't beat Manchester city in the league, so no domestic trophy.
There's sponsorship money being lost, addidas/ Nike kit deals are holding back because of no champions league. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something written in the Emirates deal about lack of champions league football impacting the level of money coming in. Stan does understand the value of a top kit deal, so this is something he'd want to change.
To say Stan is using Wenger to deflect attention away from him is diluting the situation. They are of the same age, and there is a way of behaving towards your boss, which Wenger shows. He's never criticised the board, always towed the corporate line. Not many managers do that anymore. It's old fashioned and no longer works in modern day football.
We've got in our squad two of the top 10 strikers in Europe, the most effective goal provider, one of the top 10 goalkeepers in Europe (believe it or not) but we don't have a coach to make it work.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

"Arsenal's 'catalyst of change', which is intended to prepare for life after Arsene Wenger, has received fresh impetus with Josh Kroenke, son of owner Stan, moving to London to conduct an in-depth review of all the club activities."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z57TH8r7X4

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

27 (Twenty Seven) points behind the leaders.
Has he gone yet?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:12 pm
Agree with the general sentiment but fuck me with a decent manager then 600m would make borehamwood fc competitive!

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:46 pm
"Arsenal's 'catalyst of change', which is intended to prepare for life after Arsene Wenger, has received fresh impetus with Josh Kroenke, son of owner Stan, moving to London to conduct an in-depth review of all the club activities."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z57TH8r7X4
This is a joke, all of this 'change' should have happened years ago, the main reason why it will be such a huge shift now is because this situation has been allowed to fester by the Kroenke regime, now the brat son of Semen stain Stan is here to conduct a f*cking review?, oh great I feel better already.

:censored: