THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Football 365 have an article on wengers unwillingness to buy, it was put up on the transfer thread. Just read the comment under it, I can't f**king believe there are still people defending him! It's like the invasion of the body snatchers!!! :banghead:

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

I don't why gooners put themselves through it every year. Wenger will do what he wants, yes it was surprising to see Ozil and Sanchez come in, very surprising! But other matters are more consistent.

He will dilly and dally over money spent, and miss out on players.

He will NEVER spend significantly in the DM position. He is convinced it's a minimal role and many players can play there. Look at the money spent in positions across the pitch, the lowest spend has to be in DM.

If he doesn't win the league he cannot sign a new contract, with us spending less on stadium repayments there is nowhere to hide.

So chin up, and enjoy your summer folks :barscarf:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Supagoon wrote:I don't why gooners put themselves through it every year. Wenger will do what he wants, yes it was surprising to see Ozil and Sanchez come in, very surprising! But other matters are more consistent.

He will NEVER spend significantly in the DM position. He is convinced it's a minimal role and many players can play there.
Look at the money spent in positions across the pitch, the lowest spend has to be in DM.

If he doesn't win the league he cannot sign a new contract, with us spending less on stadium repayments there is nowhere to hide.

And yet he was absolutely desperate to grab Vieira from Milan and pair him with Petit in the early years, so what's changed?

That pair were fairly useful, if memory serves.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

officepest wrote:
Supagoon wrote:I don't why gooners put themselves through it every year. Wenger will do what he wants, yes it was surprising to see Ozil and Sanchez come in, very surprising! But other matters are more consistent.

He will NEVER spend significantly in the DM position. He is convinced it's a minimal role and many players can play there.
Look at the money spent in positions across the pitch, the lowest spend has to be in DM.

And yet he was absolutely desperate to grab Vieira from Milan and pair him with Petit in the early years, so what's changed?

That pair were fairly useful, if memory serves.

That was a long time ago, he's seriously lost it since then.....

Come to the conclusion he will not sign a DM now...hes so set in his ways despite the deficiencies being so clearly exposed

Going to cost us dear again thats for sure, honestly can see the opening game with us losing at home, coquelin gets injured, loads of chances missed by Giroud, then Walcott and Akpom come on as subs in the 70th minute, and we loose the crowd booing.....

On a footnote that Gazidis has done another blinding job securing new players scouring Europe 24/7, not sure where he goes probably visiting the local brothels

foxinthebox2001

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

I have said for many years Wenger's fatherly style gets in the way when he needs to be ruthless.
Typified by his famous 'lets not kill Denilson's, Diaby's, Song's career's' when faced with the opportunity to sign Barry And Alonso back in 2009.
Too soft with those who need upgrading, or maybe cant recognise it quick enough.
But of course, if you dare to have a crafty smoke in the shower you are suddenly persona non grata.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:I have said for many years Wenger's fatherly style gets in the way when he needs to be ruthless.
Typified by his famous 'lets not kill Denilson's, Diaby's, Song's career's' when faced with the opportunity to sign Barry And Alonso back in 2009.
Too soft with those who need upgrading, or maybe cant recognise it quick enough.
But of course, if you dare to have a crafty smoke in the shower you are suddenly persona non grata.
I agree foxy, he sees his role as bringing players through improving them individually not Arsenal conquering all :banghead:

He refused to see that Denilson, Djouro, Eboue, Song, Diaby, Almunia, Aliadiare, etc were not good enough because that would mean he got it wrong and the pundits and fans that called it were right all along.

Even now 10 years or so on from Lehman we have got a proper keeper :roll:

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

As I've said before, this will be the first decade since the 60's in which we fail to win the league.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

defleppardisking

Post by defleppardisking »

We might as well give him a contract of a lifetime.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I always thought Wenger's agent had an odd name - Beelzebub or something along those lines... Red faced chap with yellow teeth and a very odd walking stick in his right hand.... :?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

John Cross and Patrick Barclay "like this" :cheers:

I remember John Cross coming on the radio last year when the non-story of the year about The Stoke Three hit the headlines saying that our lord and master had "earned the right to decide when he leaves the club"

Every so often the tourettes gets the better of me lads so please allow me a single pre-season.....

ONE ARSENE WENGER........THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Burn the Heretic!............. Burn Him I say! :lol:

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

Surely the Mirror article is an early/late April fool? How else can you explain content like;

He's put the club's progress and development above his own personal interest.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

How can Gazidis say that Wenger is "doing incredibly well"

yes he is doing well to remain in charge I will give him that but he is a manager of a supposed top club and WE HAVE NOT CHALLENGED FOR THE TITLE FOR OVER A DECADE! That is not doing incredibly well.... :rubchin: