THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:Wenger today.....

“I am a fighter, somewhere inside,” said Wenger. “You don’t stay long in this job otherwise. I do not expect too much from outside, I expect more from me inside. When you hate defeat like I hate defeat, it’s always tough. I’m determined to always fight back.

hes not going easily thats for sure......
If it means giving up a chance of FA cup to get rid of Wenger so be it.........

Not sure we fully comprehend what we are up against here...

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Redarmy wrote:Wenger today.....

“I am a fighter, somewhere inside,” said Wenger. “You don’t stay long in this job otherwise. I do not expect too much from outside, I expect more from me inside. When you hate defeat like I hate defeat, it’s always tough. I’m determined to always fight back.

hes not going easily thats for sure......
:banghead: The way he's carrying on now, making this all about him, just makes me so much more determined to protest on 7th March. Arrogant bastard!!

In 21 years I've never once heard this bloody man say Sorry or anything remotely approaching Sorry.

God complex . . . . . .

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Lads best of luck with the protest and if it were possible I'd be there with you but I just can't help feeling that it's going to be another poor turnout or the Akbs will have something organised to counter it.

I was full of hope last week but it's painfully obvious he's signing that contract

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

NickF wrote:
VoiceOfReason wrote:
Ditto. Remember being in LA at the time, watching the CL SF at home to Man Utd in my hotel room and then waking up to the news that we'd been done 4-1 by Chelsea at home and thinking that's that. And we haven't improved since.

6pm outside the East Stand everyone!
6pm might be a bit early for a lot of people.
I work over by Liverpool St and don't finish until 5:30pm so i would be pushing to be at Highbury for that time.

whether it starts at 6pm or 6.30pm I think how long the protest can be sustained is the important thing.
If it can continue right up to kick off I think that would gain maximum impact, although of course there will be some people with a ticket wanting to enter the ground.

I personally have my doubts how effective it will all be, but at least it would be a start. Hopefully momentum can then continue until the end of the season. Wenger is bloody stupid though - if he announced his resignation in the next couple of weeks, then the entire fanbase would be able to get behind him and the team for the last part of the season. doesnt look as though that will happen now...

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

Africa wrote:Can understand frustrations but after close to 50 years support, I can promise Wenger has provided best results and most entertaining football.

Worth looking at specific complaints in turn:

Have not won since 2004. Arsenal does not have god-given right to win League - not many have. We should have won on two occasions and threw it away - once it seemed over Ramsay's legbreak. You can complain about Gallas' mental frailty.

The Defence. Reality is that Gabriel has not cut it. Mustafi looked good until injured and has not come back to same level. However, Bellerin, Koscielny and Monreal are in top few defences in Premiership. Real problem is holding midfield - I remember a similar discussion early on leading to Petit and Vieira.

Holding Midfield. Simple fact is that Arsenal are much better when Cazorla plays - he's injured. Coquelin works as a side kick to him but is not the main man, ditto Elneny. Again Xhaka has not cut it. Worse still I suspect the purchase of Xhaka prevented signature of Kante who has all the signs of a Makalele (NB for those who don't remember Makalele was not considered a galactico in Real Madrid and was sold to Chelsea - RM form collapsed and Chelsea were transformed). In other words an expensive purchase, which many seem to demand, stopped the one key transfer we needed. BTW How would other top teams do if they lost their key player

Ozil. I don't know if stats support this but Ozil always looks best when being supplied by either Cazorla or Ramsey. his skill is to turn those clever passes into magic. No clever feeds no magic. Back to above problem. NB Wenger's genius was to get Cazorla to play deeper so both played well on same pitch - somethign successive English managers failed to do with Gerrard and Lampard

Backbone. Not sure why Wenger is blamed except perhaps for not buying the sort of players who do have grit. But he did - Sanchez.

Attack. Last few years everyone bitched about our strikers and Giroud in particular. Now evidently they are fine, and complaints come because Giroud is not playing?!

Bottom line you should not have a heart attack over one appalling result - and nor should you be ecstatic over one great result. Of cours eI am disappointed - but I am not sure where Wenger is to blame unless its because he can't grip the dressing room. If that's true there is a problem but is it true.

MUFC have looked pretty poor until this season. I never did like those trips abroad so perhaps that won't matter ...
This has to be the most sensible and rational post I've read on this forum, well played

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

"Be careful what you wish for, look at Man Utd'.........I say no, look at Chavski, appoint Conte, starts badly, sees the problem and addresses it and he'll win the PL this season. I know what I wish for!!

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

Blood_Gooner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote::lol:

So what we need is someone to leave a Banana Skin lying around. :wink:
Augie would be more than willing. Hopefully he runs into rimmy j whilst at it and drop kick the fucker. :evil:
I'm over for the Leicester match if you want to come and see me yourself, pretty sure you will fag out of that you pathetic little keyboard warrior.

Jumpers For Goalposts

rjw1985 wrote:
Blood_Gooner wrote:

Augie would be more than willing. Hopefully he runs into rimmy j whilst at it and drop kick the fucker. :evil:
I'm over for the Leicester match if you want to come and see me yourself, pretty sure you will fag out of that you pathetic little keyboard warrior.
If we beat Sutton tonight the Leicester match is postponed. Make sure you check before you travel as we'd all hate you to have a wasted journey.

Herd

Post by Herd »

A win tonight and a draw or a win on Saturday and the winds of protest will fall silent !
This man has the hide of a rhino ,a few press beatings will do nothing and as others have said a few back to back wins and 4th place and its
gin and 2 year tonics all round !
If he wins the Cup and we wont get a better chance of doing that than this season ,he is untouchable !

NOTHING short of a Herd style stadium revolt will dislodge him as I think I first said about 6/7 years ago AND I'm NOT advocating one as I genuinely don't want to see it !

PS fuck off craig burley !
Last edited by Herd on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:Lads best of luck with the protest and if it were possible I'd be there with you but I just can't help feeling that it's going to be another poor turnout or the Akbs will have something organised to counter it.

I was full of hope last week but it's painfully obvious he's signing that contract
Pointless and pathetic is what it is, hope anyone that goes enjoys wasting time and effort as that is all they are doing. Hope it's pissing down :barscarf:

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

We will see how close to the brink he is when we see his team selection against Sutton. If he picks a stronger team. it means he is bricking it and dare not slip up. If he fuks about and plays a hybrid reserve/second string team, then he probably knows he is on strong ice regarding his position at the club.

If Ozil and Sanchez play - it means he is truly scared.

rjw1985

Post by rjw1985 »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
rjw1985 wrote:
Blood_Gooner wrote:

If we beat Sutton tonight the Leicester match is postponed. Make sure you check before you travel as we'd all hate you to have a wasted journey.
I'll be over for the rescheduled game anyway so it does not make a difference, happy to debate face to face with any of the mongs

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rjw1985 wrote:
Blood_Gooner wrote:

Alright, ladies... let's keep the threats and veiled threats off the forum. :roll:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

rjw1985 wrote:
Africa wrote:Can understand frustrations but after close to 50 years support, I can promise Wenger has provided best results and most entertaining football.

Worth looking at specific complaints in turn:

Have not won since 2004. Arsenal does not have god-given right to win League - not many have. We should have won on two occasions and threw it away - once it seemed over Ramsay's legbreak. You can complain about Gallas' mental frailty.

The Defence. Reality is that Gabriel has not cut it. Mustafi looked good until injured and has not come back to same level. However, Bellerin, Koscielny and Monreal are in top few defences in Premiership. Real problem is holding midfield - I remember a similar discussion early on leading to Petit and Vieira.

Holding Midfield. Simple fact is that Arsenal are much better when Cazorla plays - he's injured. Coquelin works as a side kick to him but is not the main man, ditto Elneny. Again Xhaka has not cut it. Worse still I suspect the purchase of Xhaka prevented signature of Kante who has all the signs of a Makalele (NB for those who don't remember Makalele was not considered a galactico in Real Madrid and was sold to Chelsea - RM form collapsed and Chelsea were transformed). In other words an expensive purchase, which many seem to demand, stopped the one key transfer we needed. BTW How would other top teams do if they lost their key player

Ozil. I don't know if stats support this but Ozil always looks best when being supplied by either Cazorla or Ramsey. his skill is to turn those clever passes into magic. No clever feeds no magic. Back to above problem. NB Wenger's genius was to get Cazorla to play deeper so both played well on same pitch - somethign successive English managers failed to do with Gerrard and Lampard

Backbone. Not sure why Wenger is blamed except perhaps for not buying the sort of players who do have grit. But he did - Sanchez.

Attack. Last few years everyone bitched about our strikers and Giroud in particular. Now evidently they are fine, and complaints come because Giroud is not playing?!

Bottom line you should not have a heart attack over one appalling result - and nor should you be ecstatic over one great result. Of cours eI am disappointed - but I am not sure where Wenger is to blame unless its because he can't grip the dressing room. If that's true there is a problem but is it true.

MUFC have looked pretty poor until this season. I never did like those trips abroad so perhaps that won't matter ...
This has to be the most sensible and rational post I've read on this forum, well played

So once you cut through all the guff about injuries (which all top teams get....Man City and their wonderkid Jesus?!) and about who needs to play alongside whom for the team to be half decent, you're left with one little nugget of wisdom about a poor transfer decision which is down to one highly-paid man and his judgement:

" Worse still I suspect the purchase of Xhaka prevented signature of Kante "
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jumpers For Goalposts

rjw1985 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:Lads best of luck with the protest and if it were possible I'd be there with you but I just can't help feeling that it's going to be another poor turnout or the Akbs will have something organised to counter it.

Pointless and pathetic is what it is, hope anyone that goes enjoys wasting time and effort as that is all they are doing. Hope it's pissing down :barscarf:
And you call other people Keyboard Warriors :lol:

I'm one of the organisers and I'll be there come rain or shine. In fact I hope it's pissing down as well because that will reinforce how strongly we all feel.

I'll sing a couple songs just for you :barscarf: