THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rich31

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by rich31 »

hertsgunner wrote:
augie wrote:As a pundit both merson and redkrapp junior, haven't the brains to fill a smartie :oops: As a flip flopper, merse excels and probably is top of the class in that degree :roll: People will tell you that it is great when he comes out publicly slating wenker, but he gives credence to the suggestion that us wob are fickle fans cos only a few weeks beforehand he was probably defending the French c.unt :roll: :evil: :evil:
Even in that piece he undermines his credibility by calling for wenker to be given 1 more year and then PV4 to take over - now I loved PV4 as a player (probably in my 3 favourite Arsenal players of all time 8), and I would love to see him manage The Arsenal someday, but he is nowhere near ready yet. As I said lately, I have zero problems with the next guy being hired as a "patsy" to take the fall if/when things go tits up, but I don't want that "patsy" to be a player who had served the club so well over a number of years
I saw Merson, Parlour and Groves at Southend the other night and when asked their views on Wenger out the impression that I got from Merson and Parlour was that they were sitting on the fence but Groves had the balls to say that he thought Wenger should go.When asked for a show of hands for and against Wenger the crowd was split 70% Wenger out to 30% Wenger to stay interestingly. Good to see a lot of old Skool Gooners there and no walking adverts for the club shop.
I was there too and i thought Merson definately came across as more wenger out than in (although this was last week :) )...Parlour seemed to not want to upset people a bit (apart from gareth southgate!) Met the romford pele after though in the bar and he was a down to earth friendly bloke

General

Post by General »

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... ng-seasons

Did he say fans?
Rams owner Stan Kroenke said in a statement released by the team. “He played an integral role in helping this team make history in returning the NFL to Los Angeles, and we always will be grateful for his commitment and dedication to our organization. However, this is the right time to make a change as our performance has not lived up to my or our fans’ expectations

Babu

Post by Babu »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Have seen a few news stories today about Henry possibly taking over, and reading what he said, he hasn't denied it (saying it's difficult to talk about).

Coupled with the fact that Kroenke's son wants him to take over - with Wenger working alongside him - it does make me wonder.

I've long been at the stage where any change will do, but I'm not sure replacing Wenger with one of the biggest AKBs about would inspire me to rush back in a hurry.

And, maybe it's a sixth sense, but I feel that Henry would be fucking awful as a manager. I'm talking 15th / 16th. Consider him our best ever player (different discussion for a different day), but nothing I've seen from him as a pundit indicates he'd do a good job.
It would be a brilliant move from Wenger, for his next 2 years, maybe 4.

He knows with TH that the fan protests will stop...for at least a season, if not 2.
He also knows that he will still be able to control everything at the Club.

That is my fear... Wenger moves upstairs to become Sporting Director.
Thierry Henry becomes manager, with " full control"

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

why the hell would anyone want henry to take over? absolute rubbish, the man hasn't had a managerial job in his career.

augie

Post by augie »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:why the hell would anyone want henry to take over? absolute rubbish, the man hasn't had a managerial job in his career.

If ever there was an infantile, ridiculous suggestion that summed up everything that typifies the modern brainless clueless fans, it is the suggestion that henry should be the next manager of AFC :oops: :oops: The man has ZERO experience in coaching or managing at any level, and lets be honest here, he was always more about himself than the team, so I'm not sure that he has the type of personality that will have players inspired playing for him

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:why the hell would anyone want henry to take over? absolute rubbish, the man hasn't had a managerial job in his career.
Exactly. Like so many of these ex-players who portray themselves as experts, he would rather have a comfy job sitting around scratching his bollocks on a sofa watching a TV screen then earn his salt day in day out on the training pitch.

I would never want somebody to be hired just for sentimentality, but I would be far more enthusiastic about the likes of DB10 coming in having spent years and years learning his craft at youth level upwards.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Because Stan Kroenke's son thinks he can appease all the angry gooners by bringing in a club 'legend', bad enough if it's him on his own, but to work alongside Wenger?, terrifying, can see it happening possibly though, silly American owner, Wenger claiming to have 'changed' by listening to Henry (then ignoring him), all the pieces are falling into place..

:rubchin:
:banghead:

Babu

Post by Babu »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Because Stan Kroenke's son thinks he can appease all the angry gooners by bringing in a club 'legend', bad enough if it's him on his own, but to work alongside Wenger?, terrifying, can see it happening possibly though, silly American owner, Wenger claiming to have 'changed' by listening to Henry (then ignoring him), all the pieces are falling into place..

Of all the ideas so far this one is one of the most mental...so I think there might be something to it. :idea:

Henry is assistant to the Belgian National side at the moment, so he might be brought in as assistant to Wenger, to be groomed for the Manager's job when Mr. Wenger finally decides to step down ( or up, to the Sporting Directors job ).

Then, with TH at his side, the discontent will stop for a season at least ( pure speculation here, but very possible...who's going to be the first person to shout Henry Out!...took long enough for the Wenger Out! calls to be heard ).

FFS! I shudder to think what Wiggy and Wanker are planning!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Babu wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:

Of all the ideas so far this one is one of the most mental...so I think there might be something to it. :idea:

Henry is assistant to the Belgian National side at the moment, so he might be brought in as assistant to Wenger, to be groomed for the Manager's job when Mr. Wenger finally decides to step down ( or up, to the Sporting Directors job ).

Then, with TH at his side, the discontent will stop for a season at least ( pure speculation here, but very possible...who's going to be the first person to shout Henry Out!...took long enough for the Wenger Out! calls to be heard ).

FFS! I shudder to think what Wiggy and Wanker are planning!
That Belgian side, with an absolute wealth of talent, stuttering and stumbling along under Martinez & Henry. Just like The Arsenal. Criminal that decent players, decent teams, get ruined by incompetent managers.

Midz

Post by Midz »

northbank123 wrote:have a comfy job sitting around scratching his bollocks on a sofa watching a TV screen .
Where do I apply for that job?

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

This is what just leaves me exasperated. We have the foundations of a super club in terms of stadium, revenue, and the natural benefit of being in a major European city which can attract players. Yet so many reduce this club to Wenger's standards, and even when discussion occurs of replacing Wenger, Henry gets a mention. Why cant ths club move outside the bubble and pursue a new direction? Whats wrong with bringing someone in with no former connections to the club? Its either Wenger, or a Wenger disciple like Henry, or Vieira, or Bergkamp.

Then there is the case of discussion of how the next manager needs 'to be like Wenger'. For instance, its been said before that Simeone wouldn't be a good fit because he 'couldnt carry on Wenger's work' due to the difference in playing style and philosophy. Or when Eddie Howe got a positive mention because 'his teams play good attacking football'. Doesnt matter that Simeone is competing at the top end, whilst Howe is bobbing along at Bournemouth - in some peoples mind, Howe is a better fit for Arsenal because he is 'more like Wenger'.

How can we ever compete, when we reduce ourselves to the limitations of Wenger? And even at the idea of him leaving, so many want his shadow to cast high and wide by replacing him with a mini-me. Such replacements include former players, and managers like Howe and Martinez. Yet if you suggest a tactician or defensive minded manager, even if its Simeone - the Wenger fan boys recoil in horror at the idea of a clean break from Wenger.

When Stalin died, the Soviet Union underwent 'de-stalinization'. The same thing must happen at Arsenal. When Wenger leaves, we must commence 'de-wengerization', because the cult of personality and god like status he commands among the simple minded feebs, is a danger to the club. As we risk boxing ourselves in forever, as we will forever ask ourselves, 'would Wenger have done this'? Example, lets say 10 years from now, we come into some money and contemplate breaking the transfer record - it could just be that within the club, the phrase, 'Wenger wouldnt have done this' would echo, and it would guide decision making.

I want a clean break. An outsider as manager, and his coaching staff need to come form the outside as well. No Wenger loyalists!!

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Bring back Berty Mee !!

Brightonnxtround

Post by Brightonnxtround »

Wengerists must be driven out take back our club destroy all none believers
A this is starting to sound a bit familiar Kill all wengerist AUPTHEREDS :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

I agree with all that, but I especially agree with the suggestion that the next manager should be the absolute opposite of wenker in style and ethos - the thought process of why we should want to continue with a style that is clearly NOT working, absolutely baffles me :? When something is working you retain it and if possible add to it, but if something isn't working the last thing you should do is persevere with it for another few years :roll: I'm not suggesting that it should be a total reset or a throw the baby out with the bath water plan, but it does need to recognize that football is evolving and that our ideas need to change

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:I agree with all that, but I especially agree with the suggestion that the next manager should be the absolute opposite of wenker in style and ethos - the thought process of why we should want to continue with a style that is clearly NOT working, absolutely baffles me :? When something is working you retain it and if possible add to it, but if something isn't working the last thing you should do is persevere with it for another few years :roll: I'm not suggesting that it should be a total reset or a throw the baby out with the bath water plan, but it does need to recognize that football is evolving and that our ideas need to change
you forget that our owner thinks that what Wenger does IS working.
oh of course thats why he has offered him a new contract... :rubchin: