THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
augie wrote:I agree with all that, but I especially agree with the suggestion that the next manager should be the absolute opposite of wenker in style and ethos - the thought process of why we should want to continue with a style that is clearly NOT working, absolutely baffles me :? When something is working you retain it and if possible add to it, but if something isn't working the last thing you should do is persevere with it for another few years :roll: I'm not suggesting that it should be a total reset or a throw the baby out with the bath water plan, but it does need to recognize that football is evolving and that our ideas need to change
you forget that our owner thinks that what Wenger does IS working.
oh of course thats why he has offered him a new contract... :rubchin:

You are talking about money making and qualifying for top 4 - I am talking about style of football, formation, tactics etc. and that is waaaaaay above kroenke's level of knowledge. The onus will then (or at least should) fall squarely on gazidas's shoulders, and the hope is that he will have enough football knowledge, or at least some football qualified confidant that will steer him in the right direction

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
augie wrote:I agree with all that, but I especially agree with the suggestion that the next manager should be the absolute opposite of wenker in style and ethos - the thought process of why we should want to continue with a style that is clearly NOT working, absolutely baffles me :? When something is working you retain it and if possible add to it, but if something isn't working the last thing you should do is persevere with it for another few years :roll: I'm not suggesting that it should be a total reset or a throw the baby out with the bath water plan, but it does need to recognize that football is evolving and that our ideas need to change

You are talking about money making and qualifying for top 4 - I am talking about style of football, formation, tactics etc. and that is waaaaaay above kroenke's level of knowledge. The onus will then (or at least should) fall squarely on gazidas's shoulders, and the hope is that he will have enough football knowledge, or at least some football qualified confidant that will steer him in the right direction
you mean Arsene Wenger ?

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
augie wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

you mean Arsene Wenger ?

:suicide: :cry: :cry: :cry:

On a serious level though, it has been long reported that gazidas and wenker don't get on, so if this is true I wouldn't expect gazidas to ask wenker for advice

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

different reports gradually filtering out.........Arsene Wenger will extend his contract with Arsenal - Robert Pires

all part of the process

General

Post by General »

Once again we must not allow ourselves to get distracted by this ‘who should be le fraud’s successor debate’ and whether Henry would be an appropriate appointment. This is exactly what the club wants. The PR department has gone into overdrive drip feeding the media with all sorts of bullshit to take the focus away from the dinosaur. It is not our job to appoint successors or establish appropriate candidates. That’s down to the board.

I do not recall the chavs talking about who should succeed Maureen when Russian mob kicked him out nor was Conte exactly on everyone’s lips. Until le fraud is out of the way the forward view will remain obscured. The focus should and must remain on getting this pr1ck out of our club. So #Wengerout #Nonewcontract. You could say it a million times and it still won’t lose its meaning. Anything else kills the message ashas been reiterated ad nauseum on here.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Wilson wrote:This is what just leaves me exasperated. We have the foundations of a super club in terms of stadium, revenue, and the natural benefit of being in a major European city which can attract players. Yet so many reduce this club to Wenger's standards, and even when discussion occurs of replacing Wenger, Henry gets a mention. Why cant ths club move outside the bubble and pursue a new direction? Whats wrong with bringing someone in with no former connections to the club? Its either Wenger, or a Wenger disciple like Henry, or Vieira, or Bergkamp.

Then there is the case of discussion of how the next manager needs 'to be like Wenger'. For instance, its been said before that Simeone wouldn't be a good fit because he 'couldnt carry on Wenger's work' due to the difference in playing style and philosophy. Or when Eddie Howe got a positive mention because 'his teams play good attacking football'. Doesnt matter that Simeone is competing at the top end, whilst Howe is bobbing along at Bournemouth - in some peoples mind, Howe is a better fit for Arsenal because he is 'more like Wenger'.

How can we ever compete, when we reduce ourselves to the limitations of Wenger? And even at the idea of him leaving, so many want his shadow to cast high and wide by replacing him with a mini-me. Such replacements include former players, and managers like Howe and Martinez. Yet if you suggest a tactician or defensive minded manager, even if its Simeone - the Wenger fan boys recoil in horror at the idea of a clean break from Wenger.

When Stalin died, the Soviet Union underwent 'de-stalinization'. The same thing must happen at Arsenal. When Wenger leaves, we must commence 'de-wengerization', because the cult of personality and god like status he commands among the simple minded feebs, is a danger to the club. As we risk boxing ourselves in forever, as we will forever ask ourselves, 'would Wenger have done this'? Example, lets say 10 years from now, we come into some money and contemplate breaking the transfer record - it could just be that within the club, the phrase, 'Wenger wouldnt have done this' would echo, and it would guide decision making.

I want a clean break. An outsider as manager, and his coaching staff need to come form the outside as well. No Wenger loyalists!!
Spot on. Far greater managers than Wenger have cast long shadows over their clubs once they leave. Think Man United, where Matt Busby was busy-bodying around the place while the club were in freefall under his chosen successors, Frank O'Farrell and Wilf McGuinness. Or more recently, when Old Red Nose picked his successor (Moyes) and seemed to be in shot after every disappointing result for the next couple of years. You rarely see him now, which I imagine was one of the first conditions Mourinho insisted on in his contract.

Contrast with the great Bill Shankly, who was very rarely seen at Anfield after he retired. Ditto Bob Paisley. Those who followed benefited from not having to work under the glare of their predecessor.

Can you imagine Wenger being graceful enough to slip away quietly when he eventually deigns to step down from his throne? It will take a Simeone - not an Eddie Howe, and certainly not a Thierry Henry - to insist that he buggers off for good.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Wilson wrote:This is what just leaves me exasperated. We have the foundations of a super club in terms of stadium, revenue, and the natural benefit of being in a major European city which can attract players. Yet so many reduce this club to Wenger's standards, and even when discussion occurs of replacing Wenger, Henry gets a mention. Why cant ths club move outside the bubble and pursue a new direction? Whats wrong with bringing someone in with no former connections to the club? Its either Wenger, or a Wenger disciple like Henry, or Vieira, or Bergkamp.

Then there is the case of discussion of how the next manager needs 'to be like Wenger'. For instance, its been said before that Simeone wouldn't be a good fit because he 'couldnt carry on Wenger's work' due to the difference in playing style and philosophy. Or when Eddie Howe got a positive mention because 'his teams play good attacking football'. Doesnt matter that Simeone is competing at the top end, whilst Howe is bobbing along at Bournemouth - in some peoples mind, Howe is a better fit for Arsenal because he is 'more like Wenger'.

How can we ever compete, when we reduce ourselves to the limitations of Wenger? And even at the idea of him leaving, so many want his shadow to cast high and wide by replacing him with a mini-me. Such replacements include former players, and managers like Howe and Martinez. Yet if you suggest a tactician or defensive minded manager, even if its Simeone - the Wenger fan boys recoil in horror at the idea of a clean break from Wenger.

When Stalin died, the Soviet Union underwent 'de-stalinization'. The same thing must happen at Arsenal. When Wenger leaves, we must commence 'de-wengerization', because the cult of personality and god like status he commands among the simple minded feebs, is a danger to the club. As we risk boxing ourselves in forever, as we will forever ask ourselves, 'would Wenger have done this'? Example, lets say 10 years from now, we come into some money and contemplate breaking the transfer record - it could just be that within the club, the phrase, 'Wenger wouldnt have done this' would echo, and it would guide decision making.

I want a clean break. An outsider as manager, and his coaching staff need to come form the outside as well. No Wenger loyalists!!
I know exactly what you mean Wilson, makes me laugh when people say Simeone plays boring football etc. have they watched Arsenal this season?, we are dire to watch most of the time, we lost our entertaining tag at least 3-4 years back, plus it's a lame argument anyway, Spurs always used the 'but we play good football' excuse when failing to win anything for decades on end, we are sinking to their level (and below!).

As for a clean break, I don't think that will be an issue when he finally buggers off, the likes of Primorac won't find work under anyone else, which is probably why they get so snappy at any criticism of Wenger, of course they see it as loyalty.

:roll:

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

Totally agree with Wilson's post as Henry would be a bad choice with him being a Wenger disciple. A new face with no connections to the current regime is needed, someone with some tactical nous and who is prepared to ship out all the dead wood at the club. Bringing in Henry would just be a sop to the fans particularly if Wenger was still in the background.

hartygooner

Post by hartygooner »

This needs to go in here. The no money line is a myth. I don't know why the focus is slowly shifting towards the owner again on here when the biggest issue affecting the performance, or lack of, on the pitch is the prick with the zip.
https://m.dreamteamfc.com/c/premier-lea ... -20-years/

#wengerout #nonewcontract.

Hate the bloke.

NickF

Post by NickF »

hartygooner wrote:This needs to go in here. The no money line is a myth. I don't know why the focus is slowly shifting towards the owner again on here when the biggest issue affecting the performance, or lack of, on the pitch is the prick with the zip.

Hate the bloke.
Well and truely blows out of the water the myth that the board are withholding funds.
Still would prefer Kroenke/Usmanov to not be involved though.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

hartygooner wrote:This needs to go in here. The no money line is a myth. I don't know why the focus is slowly shifting towards the owner again on here when the biggest issue affecting the performance, or lack of, on the pitch is the prick with the zip.

Hate the bloke.

I'm all for Wenger bashing and the no money bollocks is a complete myth, but this isn't watertight evidence. It compares the spend of individual managers, most of whom haven't been around for anything like the full 10 years. I'd be interested to see the figures for the clubs, which is the real acid test.

That said, if it's only transfers, then it's only half the story, because Wenger has wasted fortunes on wages and contract renewals, so figures need to include transfers in and out and wages over the period. I'd like to see a comparison of those numbers.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Agree with the manager not being a former AFC man, however theres a few assistants that would be good- they have a different role obviously- In part the old AFC traditions have more of a chance of returning if they are they :? people like DB Paddy or TA would be great- we didn't do too bad with some ex players as assistants obviously NOT Bouldy nor Henry- , no reason why that should necessarily change. Hence my view it should be Koeman and DB, who can stay at home to mind the fort when we are in Europe :oops:

All complete speculation, he aint going anywhere unless the protests ramp up. All the media are on at the moment is the internuls, leg break Defoe monkeys yellow card. Now its Ferdinand on TV tonite

Meanwhile at least no announcement yet from AFC :?

Red Heron

Post by Red Heron »

Im a new season ticket holder compare to most here. This year was my 6th season. My seat is at clock end upper aka Akb's area or the Trip Advisor stand. This year is least enjoyable season so far. The stand is full of day trippers and AKB's using their mobile phones during the match.I'm now considering not to renew my season ticket after 10 years of waiting for it. I know the club dont give a monkey about me renewing because there thousand of Le fraud lovers out there that will snap it. I been to both protest for far and will be there again on Sunday. I want me arsenal back but i dont think it will happen anytime soon. The protest so far is NOT working. There 2 reasons for it. 1 most people that want the fraud out are only saying it on the social media site.They cant be bothered to get up of their butts and come to the protest.The club know this. they are not stupid. 2. loads of match going wenger out fans are scared of the AKB's. I blame this on AFTV. They dont want to be seen supporting the protest because are more worried about their image or losing their season tickets. The idiots on AFTV are making most WOB look like idiots at the moment. Only in England we are scared to protest if we want change. We rather scream and shout on social media and become keyboard warriors.Last time i checked no keyboard warrior ever got rid of a manager or made a club to take action to change. Its time for everyone to turn up and make the protest bigger and louder. Don't be afraid of your image or the AKB's. Do what you think is right. Make your voice heard in person and not on social media. Its time for a change ladies n gents. Time to show the club that we are not going away and we want a change asap. This guy will carry on for the next 2 years if we just stay silent and accept it.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Points away at the Top 10 2016-17

Liverpool 13
Spurs & Chelsea 10
City 9
Man U 6
W Ham & Eve 5pts
Five teams on 4ps
Boro 3
Three teams on 2pts
Sunderland, Hull, Burnely & Arsenal 1 point

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR :oops:

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

Apparently everyone that applied for a semi final ticket has been successful, which means at least 10,000 season ticket holders didn't register for a ticket. Says a lot about the state of the club right now that people are staying away from an FA Cup semi final at Wembley.