THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by Redarmy »

Still chance he will be here beyond 2020......from todays Telegraph

Arsenal board members are still weighing up giving Arsene Wenger a new contract, despite the possibility that the Gunners will end up both trophyless and outside the top-four for the first time in the French tactician’s time at the club, reports claim. All parties will sit down in the summer to determine the future of the boss, who has been in charge since 1996, with a focus on avoiding the managerial uncertainty that dominated last season. Either a formal announcement will be made that Wenger is leaving the club at the end of the season or they will extend his current deal beyond 2020, according to the Telegraph.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

basically Wenger is past it - we all know that, the media know it, most of the fanbase knows it.

BUT there is NO ambition at the club to improve things - otherwise why on earth would they even consider giving Wenger an extension!!!!
it has to be acknowledged that whilst Wenger is still here that he is the biggest problem , but the club as a whole has to take some of the blame for the continuing mess and gradual decline into irrelevance.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am
I see Wenger when talking about our dreadful away form, repeated some bollocks he had come out with before about how playing home or away shouldn't make any difference.

While pitches are the same, the ball is the same and the rules are the same etc. for me this is just another proof that he doesnt understand the passion or emotion of football. Or the importance of the crowd. That time he substituted the Ox against Man United was a classic example of his lack of understanding of how a partisan crowd works in your favour. He killed the atmosphere in that game and we went on the lose.

Wenger seems to want to have a squad of automatons - a technical machine, programmed to perform a limited and repetitive range of functions according to a predetermined set of instructions. They're all the same and all do the same thing. No leadership, no balance, no character.

Cold, soulless and depressing. Just like the stadium he moved us to.
Great post. I think you are right. Look at his denigrating of the role of captain and his insistence on wedging players into a set system of tippy tippy rather than looking at the players he has and developing a system that plays to their best attributes. His arrogance and ego determine everything. Unfortunately. :|

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Where have I seen all this bollocks before?
Semen Stain Stan won't get rid of him, Wenger gives him stability and continuity, now the so called "War chest" is non existent, SSS will be a happy man....

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Okay, answer me this!

Is wenger still a c.u.n.t or is he now a double c.u.n.t

Midz

Post by Midz »

*word censored* or double *word censored* he's still a fucking *word censored*!!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Wenger speaking ahead of the game tonight

on if this squad is stronger than the ones he named in the group stage…
We go into direct knockout so of course the risk is higher. We are ambitious in the competition as well. So, yes, we are more experienced than we were before.

what does that even mean??
how can anyone take this simple old pensioner seriously anymore!

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

The man is at death's door... never seen him look so worn and frail :|

Fuck his bank balance, I genuinely feel sorry for him.... he's destroying his legacy, has nothing else in his life, and is causing fans to hate the club and him without even realising it.... a miserable, lost old man :cry:

I'll judge him in May though 8)

GTG

Post by GTG »

postmanPat91 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Fuck his bank balance, I genuinely feel sorry for him.... he's destroying his legacy, has nothing else in his life, and is causing fans to hate the club and him without even realising it.... a miserable, lost old man :cry:

Feel sorry for him? Not a chance.

This football club has been just as good to him and he has been to us if not more. We took a chance on him when nobody had even heard of him which paid off and produced the best football we are ever likely to see but hes more than had those days repaid to him in kind with endless money being trousered for minimal return.

He shouldn't have nothing more in his life than Arsenal....... football maybe but even if he walked today he would land some kind of job in football being reasonably paid. If not as a manager then certainly in an advisory role or french punditry loads of stuff he could do.

Other than his managerial failings that is the main reason I have lost all respect for him. He might have an ego but hes not stupid he knows he's over stayed his welcome with us. The only 2 reasons he continues to hold on is because of the money and the power.

There is no love for the club whatsoever its a love for what he has made the club. You still get people at games who tell me he deserves respect but sorry not for me. He deserves nothing.

General

Post by General »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:01 am
NickF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 pm
You keep on posting that, but do you actually have any proof given that the Rams are actually worth twice what we are?
Impossible to get proof but our regular habbit of keeping a hefty cash reserve, well above what is required, would suggest it may have something to do with using Arsenal as 'leverage', then again you could be right but that wouldn't necessarily be much better because it would just likely either be one of two things, either Kroenke not allowing 'risky' spending (which would apply to any manager) or Wenger himself being cheap, I know a lot of people buy this but I'm not so sure, not that I'm defending TOF before people get their knickers in a twist, I just think it more likely orders from above, Wenger playing the company man basically.
We had a considerable cash pile before Stan became majority share holder and part of this is linked to the stadium debt. We are on a fixed repayment plan but the bank loans were granted on the condition of keeping a certain cash balance. Some of the money also covers amortisation of transfers. It's all there on our financial statements. At the end of the 2017 financial year we had around £180m in the bank. £36m covers the stadium debt in what is known as the debt service reserve, That leaves £144m, you then have net balance payable on transfers of £43m, that leaves £101m. Around £85m is advance receipts from sponsorship and season ticket sales, leaving net cash position of £16m. People see £180m and think we can go and spend it all on transfers. The answer is no we can't.

Kroenke does not own us outright so technically he cannot leverage debts against our books. He can use his shareholding as collateral. Also a significant portion of his purchase of our previous board member's shares was funded by a loan from Deutsche Bank AG.

postmanPat91

Post by postmanPat91 »

GTG wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 pm
postmanPat91 wrote:

This football club has been just as good to him and he has been to us if not more. We took a chance on him when nobody had even heard of him which paid off and produced the best football we are ever likely to see but hes more than had those days repaid to him in kind with endless money being trousered for minimal return.

He shouldn't have nothing more in his life than Arsenal....... football maybe but even if he walked today he would land some kind of job in football being reasonably paid. If not as a manager then certainly in an advisory role or french punditry loads of stuff he could do.

Other than his managerial failings that is the main reason I have lost all respect for him. He might have an ego but hes not stupid he knows he's over stayed his welcome with us. The only 2 reasons he continues to hold on is because of the money and the power.

There is no love for the club whatsoever its a love for what he has made the club. You still get people at games who tell me he deserves respect but sorry not for me. He deserves nothing.
Fair enough, but the bit in bold I disagree with. I don't think it's about money and power, I think it's simply because he's got nothing else in his life - agreed, he shouldn't have nothing more in his life than Arsenal, but by his own doing that's the position he's found himself in. I also don't think he knows he's finished - I reckon he's delusional, he must genuinely believe this squad is good enough and tippy-tappy will one day 'click' and propel us to glory. He surrounds himself with yes-men and the media rarely question him, so no wonder he can't see the reality.

Agree on the 'respect' thing, it's all too often used as an easy cop-out by people who don't want to criticize him. He shows us fans no respect so should reap what he sows.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

GTG wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:

I hate it when I hear statements like that. The club was here long before him, a highly successful club at that, and will be here long after him. He had been banished to the backwaters of Japan in what should have been the prime of his managerial career, at what should have been the height of his powers, when AFC rescued him

The club made him, he did NOT make the club....... in spite of what a lot of supporters under the age of 30 would have us believe.

The only thing he can now take credit for is embarrassing us on any given day, staying way past closing time, ruining young players careers, turning the fans against each other and driving away the old school Gooners in their droves. Any misery he might feel is self inflicted.

GTG

Post by GTG »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 pm
GTG wrote:
postmanPat91 wrote:

I hate it when I hear statements like that. The club was here long before him, a highly successful club at that, and will be here long after him. He had been banished to the backwaters of Japan in what should have been the prime of his managerial career, at what should have been the height of his powers, when AFC rescued him

The club made him, he did NOT make the club....... in spite of what a lot of supporters under the age of 30 would have us believe.

The only thing he can now take credit for is embarrassing us on any given day, staying way past closing time, ruining young players careers, turning the fans against each other and driving away the old school Gooners in their droves. Any misery he might feel is self inflicted.
Im not saying he made the club or is the club at all. I'm saying he has a love for what he's turned it into, the control he has of it. Thats why he hangs on for dear life.

There is no mistaking the club today is unrecognisable from the club that he came into....... the only thing that remains the same is some of us... and as you rightly point out he's even had a massive effect on that with so many gooners saying enough is enough.

Thats his real legacy.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

postmanPat91 wrote:

He isn't looking all that healthy, to be honest. :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:49 pm
postmanPat91 wrote:

He isn't looking all that healthy, to be honest. :?
He's fine. He's immortal. He bathes in the ruined dreams of young footballers that now ply their trade at places like Palace and Ipswich and Bolton.... :D