THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by northbank123 »

Usmanov wouldn't bomb Wenger straight out, no way. He wouldn't have much patience with him though if he stuck around long enough to spunk away over 100m of his cash.

armchair

Post by armchair »

northbank123 wrote:Usmanov wouldn't bomb Wenger straight out, no way. He wouldn't have much patience with him though if he stuck around long enough to spunk away over 100m of his cash.
That's the thing though. We are on the verge right now under this board and majority shareholder of getting shot of Wenger imo.
Usmanov coming in before Wenger leaves could scupper that and could actually work towards him staying.
That's my fear

armchair

Post by armchair »

Or even the uncertainty that a buyout undoubtedly brings could work towards Wenger staying to "oversee the transition"
I don't see Usmanov sacking Wenger while the club is in transition
Like I said Wenger has previous. He has done it before. 6yrs after winning a trophy in 2011 when Kroenke took over, Wenger took advantage of the vacuum.

Let's not forget what a slimy, lying, manipulative, self serving, snake Wenger is.......

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

armchair wrote:
northbank123 wrote:Usmanov wouldn't bomb Wenger straight out, no way. He wouldn't have much patience with him though if he stuck around long enough to spunk away over 100m of his cash.
That's the thing though. We are on the verge right now under this board and majority shareholder of getting shot of Wenger imo.
Usmanov coming in before Wenger leaves could scupper that and could actually work towards him staying.
That's my fear
It's a difficult one, I'll admit....but on balance I'd risk being saddled with Wenger initially in the expectation that within three or four years he will be a distant memory and we'll have a much more ambitious and capable manager under Usmanov than we would have under Kronke.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
armchair wrote:
That's my fear
It's a difficult one, I'll admit....but on balance I'd risk being saddled with Wenger initially in the expectation that within three or four years he will be a distant memory and we'll have a much more ambitious and capable manager under Usmanov than we would have under Kronke.
3 or 4 years! I'm not waiting one minute after Wengers current contract is over.
3 or 4 years? You're avin a tin baaaf mate. :lol:

armchair

Post by armchair »

So we've gone from.....
possibly getting rid of Wenger this month under Kroenke
to......
Maybe one more season under under Kroenke so the right successor can be sourced
to......
Maybe 3 or 4 years under Usmanov.

Fuck me!
:suicide:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

armchair wrote:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
armchair wrote:
That's my fear
3 or 4 years! I'm not waiting one minute after Wengers current contract is over.
3 or 4 years? You're avin a tin baaaf mate. :lol:
The point is that while it wouldn't be difficult to find a manager better than Wenger, while Kronke remains in charge any new manager will be working within the sort of constraints that would not completely transform our fortunes, especially at the top table of Europe. Usmanov is rich enough and will be hands-on enough to enable us to blow Abramovich and Chelsea out of the water with the best manager and players money can buy. If it took him three years to get us to that stage then we'd still be better off in the medium term than Wenger going now but Kronke remaining indefintely.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Bob Bayliss wrote: The point is that while it wouldn't be difficult to find a manager better than Wenger, while Kronke remains in charge any new manager will be working within the sort of constraints that would not completely transform our fortunes. Usmanov is rich enough and will be hands-on enough to blow Abramovich and Chelsea out of the water. If it took him three years to get us to that stage then we'd still be better off than Wenger going now but Kronke remaining indefintely.
What constraints? The constraints that Ranieri won the title with last season? Conte has transformed Chelsea without needing lots of dosh. It's management that won those titles. Not "blowing anyone out of the water"

People forget all we have ever asked Wenger to do is use the resources he has at his disposal. He has deliberately and consistently refused to do that. Whos to say a new ambitious manager under Kroenke couldn't compete just like Conte or Pochetino has under the same regime?

General

Post by General »

3 to 4 more years of Wenger in any scenario is unthinkable.

General

Post by General »

armchair wrote:
That's my fear
Unless Kroenke is forced to get shot of Wenger because of his growing unpopularity. Or perhaps the uncertainty forces Wenger to walk away. He won't though because he's a selfish cuunt. I'm all for Usmanov's untimely intervention if it causes some agitation in the boardroom.

augie

Post by augie »

armchair wrote:
That's my fear

Lads, wenker's contract runs out in a few weeks so his future will be decided LONG before any potential change of ownership happens - wenker is done and lets just leave it at that 8)
If you want to discuss usmanov and his possible intentions, why don't we do so on the usmanov bid thread ?

armchair

Post by armchair »

Can't wait until Usmanov takes over, sacks Wenger, gives the new man hundreds of millions out of his own cash and Arsenal go on to PL and CL glory!

More likely Usmanov takes over, gives Wenger a new 2 year contract, gives him hundreds of millions out of his own pocket, Wenger prevaricates and dithers, won't spend it, sees out his contract and (as Usmanov has publicly stated), picks his own successor.

armchair

Post by armchair »

augie wrote:
armchair wrote:
That's my fear

Lads, wenker's contract runs out in a few weeks so his future will be decided LONG before any potential change of ownership happens - wenker is done and lets just leave it at that 8)
If you want to discuss usmanov and his possible intentions, why don't we do so on the usmanov bid thread ?
Ok but both threads kind of overlap.

augie

Post by augie »

armchair wrote:
augie wrote:
armchair wrote:
That's my fear

Ok but both threads kind of overlap.

But do you not agree that wenker's future will be decided within the next 12 days, and if he stays beyond that point it will be at the behest of kroenke not usmanov ?
As I say, gazidas will win the day and wenker will be on the dole on June 1st and there will be a massive bbq at steve o's house on Saturday June 3rd :barscarf: :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

General wrote:3 to 4 more years of Wenger in any scenario is unthinkable.
That's what we thought 3 or 4 years ago :) :banghead: