THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by xisstential »

arseofacrow wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 pm
Journalist Matt Scott suggested that the 2 year contract was just to avoid constant speculation and that he'll be off at the end of the season.

I know but I'll cling on to the smallest of hopes at the moment. :roll: :D
CRAP!! If that was the case the club would have come out and said that Wenger is going to stay at the helm for this year while they look for a suitable replacement.

People underestimate Wenger's MASSIVE ego, he is a liar and a spin doctor to boot. NO club, not one decent club in Europe will employ him, and even if they would, Wenger knows that he would not be able to deliver and he would be fired. His ego could not bear that.

Whereas at Arsenal, he runs the place, the owner listens to him regarding football matters and not the other way around, the expectations to deliver are sinking lower and lower without any recriminations and the press...the press is as responsible as anyone for creating this monster. They should have held his feet to the fire years ago and kept them there. Instead he has been given a permanent platform to spout unsubstantiated bullshit and sneeringly & arrogantly dismiss any criticism. And the press have been complicit in this for years...and they STILL do not understand him.

The only place left in football for Wenger is China...... but do you honestly think his ego is going to allow himself to be banished & forgotten to that wasteland??

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am

The only place left in football for Wenger is China...... but do you honestly think his ego is going to allow himself to be banished & forgotten to that wasteland??
Good post Chris and a great point to end on. Too many people have forgotten that we got Wenger from Japan. We didn't poach him from Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, we brought him back from the footballing wilderness of the Japanese J League.

As far back as 1996, when he was in his late 40s and at his peak, he was managing in bloody Japan.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:09 pm
Journalist Matt Scott suggested that the 2 year contract was just to avoid constant speculation and that he'll be off at the end of the season.

I know but I'll cling on to the smallest of hopes at the moment. :roll: :D
CRAP!! If that was the case the club would have come out and said that Wenger is going to stay at the helm for this year while they look for a suitable replacement.

People underestimate Wenger's MASSIVE ego, he is a liar and a spin doctor to boot. NO club, not one decent club in Europe will employ him, and even if they would, Wenger knows that he would not be able to deliver and he would be fired. His ego could not bear that.

Whereas at Arsenal, he runs the place, the owner listens to him regarding football matters and not the other way around, the expectations to deliver are sinking lower and lower without any recriminations and the press...the press is as responsible as anyone for creating this monster. They should have held his feet to the fire years ago and kept them there. Instead he has been given a permanent platform to spout unsubstantiated bullshit and sneeringly & arrogantly dismiss any criticism. And the press have been complicit in this for years...and they STILL do not understand him.

spot on fella....

MrT

Post by MrT »

Szczesny: "Honestly, I couldn’t say that I improved technically in any way from when I became first-choice at Arsenal until the day I left."

Szczesny: "At Arsenal you’d just prepare physically but here you watch films analysing a specific opponent before the game and afterwards we’ll watch again to see what worked."

Saying what we all knew already. Nothing out of the ordinary for well run clubs.

Useless GK coach and Wenger sycophant, Gerry Peyton, ruining goalkeepers for years. Even most will say Cech was past it when he signed, but the top keepers can usually extend their peek years well into their mid 30s. He hasn't improved since he signed, can't save penalties, makes brainfart gaffs that bring us back to the Almunia days.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

MrT wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 am
Szczesny: "Honestly, I couldn’t say that I improved technically in any way from when I became first-choice at Arsenal until the day I left."

Szczesny: "At Arsenal you’d just prepare physically but here you watch films analysing a specific opponent before the game and afterwards we’ll watch again to see what worked."

Saying what we all knew already. Nothing out of the ordinary for well run clubs.

Useless GK coach and Wenger sycophant, Gerry Peyton, ruining goalkeepers for years. Even most will say Cech was past it when he signed, but the top keepers can usually extend their peek years well into their mid 30s. He hasn't improved since he signed, can't save penalties, makes brainfart gaffs that bring us back to the Almunia days.
I believe the coaches are only allowed to do what Wenger permits. How is Monreal allowed to run back and stand on the goal line as if waiting for a corner while Cleverley stands unmarked on the penalty spot. How is Xakha allowed to stand at the edge of the box while Cleverley stands unmarked on the penalty spot. How are things like this allowed to go on week, in week out?? My guess is that there is no post match analysis and that Wenger draws a line under it and they move on. No one is allowed to criticise...that is why we never learn because Wenger forbids it.

The man is an absolute cancer.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

strange terminology from Mr 30 years.......

“I love my players and I trust their strength of character to respond quickly. I know who my players really are.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Interesting - coz it looks like Alexis and he are not exactly chummy anymore. It could be something or nothing...we all know how the media like to blow things out of proportion...but all bar 2 players (Wilshere and Alexis) shake his hand at the beginning of the morning session.

phpBB [video]

4mins 38 seconds in.g.

:?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Wenkers birthday

Post by StuartL »

Take a gander at the clubs official Facebook website announcement of,his birthday !

Somebody is taking the piss - lots of special zip moments :shock

https://www.facebook.com/Arsenal/?hc_re ... Ls&fref=nf

bergkamp10

Re: Wenkers birthday

Post by bergkamp10 »

Mr. Bean's birthday surely? :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

From Wenger today.....

Asked if he was frightened of calling time on his managerial career, Wenger said: "Yes. Because every end is to be in front of the unknown and of course it can be a bit frightening.

"But even if it is frightening, I'm not too scared. I just want to do what I do as long as I think I can do it well and I have the motivation to do it. On that front, I have no doubt.[/i]

He is not going anywhere in the foreseeable future....thats for sure

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Yes it feels so,so stale and has done for years.

The manager has surrounded himself with coaching staff that won't challenge him or the players and it is what it is a comfortable place to play football for players that just coast and try to do enough.

Players like Sanchez,no wonder they want to leave and players like Walcott want to stay....

Serious question as well who has improved as a player under Wenger these last few years especially.I am honestly thinking no-one.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:22 am
xisstential wrote:

Good post Chris and a great point to end on. Too many people have forgotten that we got Wenger from Japan. We didn't poach him from Real Madrid or Bayern Munich, we brought him back from the footballing wilderness of the Japanese J League.

As far back as 1996, when he was in his late 40s and at his peak, he was managing in bloody Japan.
Yes, he is going to replace Ji Jinping (Chinese Leader).

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:12 am
From Wenger today.....

Asked if he was frightened of calling time on his managerial career, Wenger said: "Yes. Because every end is to be in front of the unknown and of course it can be a bit frightening.

"But even if it is frightening, I'm not too scared. I just want to do what I do as long as I think I can do it well and I have the motivation to do it. On that front, I have no doubt.[/i]

He is not going anywhere in the foreseeable future....thats for sure
£10 million a year for continually failing without being questioned by the club owner can be quite the motivation.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Peter Plank steps up to the errrrmmm - I mean JEZZZZZZZZZZZUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Re: Wenkers birthday

Post by OneBardGooner »

bergkamp10 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 am
Mr. Bean's birthday surely? :D

phpBB [video]

and

phpBB [video]