THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by rodders999 »

I'm the same as many others on here, it's not that I don't want us win - it's the fear of the consequences of a win that are curtailing my enjoyment of things and have me shitting myself on a massive scale.

Case in point the Sanchez goal on Sunday, a goal in extra time of a tight game that puts us ahead and minutes away from a Cup final appearance.

Should be met with total euphoria right? Now, don't get me wrong, I was up off my feet with a massive BOOOOOM and a GET THE FUCK IN and a FUCK OFF PEP YOU ABSOLUTE C.UNT but as I descended back to my seat a little turtle head decided to peak out of my arse crack, have a little look around, rubbing its head off the cloth of my undies before poppping back up again.

The reason for this you ask? Because as I was on my way back to my seat a terrible realisation hit that even though what I had just witnessed was indeed magnificent, the consequence of it could very well be you know who signing you know what which would be fucking catastrophic in the extreme.

That's why this particular poster can't enjoy the good times anymore, because in the fucked up paradox that is Arsene FC, a couple of great days now could result in a couple of shit years in the future.

Crazy days indeed :(

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

rodders999 wrote:I'm the same as many others on here, it's not that I don't want us win - it's the fear of the consequences of a win that are curtailing my enjoyment of things and have me shitting myself on a massive scale.

Case in point the Sanchez goal on Sunday, a goal in extra time of a tight game that puts us ahead and minutes away from a Cup final appearance.

Should be met with total euphoria right? Now, don't get me wrong, I was up off my feet with a massive BOOOOOM and a GET THE FUCK IN and a FUCK OFF PEP YOU ABSOLUTE C.UNT but as I descended back to my seat a little turtle head decided to peak out of my arse crack, have a little look around, rubbing its head off the cloth of my undies before poppping back up again.

The reason for this you ask? Because as I was on my way back to my seat a terrible realisation hit that even though what I had just witnessed was indeed magnificent, the consequence of it could very well be you know who signing you know what which would be fucking catastrophic in the extreme.

That's why this particular poster can't enjoy the good times anymore, because in the fucked up paradox that is Arsene FC, a couple of great days now could result in a couple of shit years in the future.

Crazy days indeed :(
I'm the same Rodders :( full time whistle I had a little clenched fist "get fuckin in" then it dawned on me what it meant..I felt an abdominal tightening let's just say :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

hmmm... what I struggle to understand is how people can still believe results on the pitch might influence Wenger's tenure... there is ZERO evidence to back this up. Jesus lads, if anything, history has taught us that at the fucking whack-a-do circus that is Modern Arsene PLC, the LAST thing that might affect your tenure as a manager is results on the pitch! You can regularly finish 10 to 18 points behind the champions, you can lose games 8-2, 5-0, 6-0, 10-2 on aggregate, piss away 4-0 leads to end up drawing 4-4, repeatedly get knocked out of the last 16 of the CL with as much fight as a fart in a wind storm, go on a 9 year trophy drought, and all the while obscenely overpay shit to average players (not forgetting to claim an obscene wage yourself) and that is just fine, that's just grand, there are no repercussions at all for you the manager - fuck it you will actually get a a payrise! :roll:

As far as the Kroenke argument goes, my only point is that he has failed in his duty as owner by not sacking Wenger. That is the only thing I really hold against him tbh. He has not stopped Wenger spending Arsenal money, (just as equally he has not invested his own money in buying players). But he should have sacked Wenger for repeated failure. That is the key gripe I have with Wiggy. :x

augie

Post by augie »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:Will the real 3-5-2 tactician please stand up!....
Why did we make our first substitution in the 83rd minute?
Holding, where the fuck did he come from?
Gabriel another mystery...
Love child no2 newly adapted wingback!

Need to know what's going on guys!
This ain't Wenger....
I'm really happy Rob Holding is getting a fair crack of the whip,look's like one for the future to me,he seems to have more about him than Chambers did/has,
I think this is Wenger but by default though,you know how he's got lucky in the past by drastically changing the side,Schnezney to name but one benefited from Wenger having to change drastically,maybe Gabriel was always a Centre Back in the making,I'm still not sure we look solid but maybe Arsene's blagged it yet again,only time will tell.....

Anyway I think he has stumbled upon it quite frankly with his hot and cold treatment of Walcott and Bellerin of which we know the "Femme Fatal" of Mr Wengers deranged mentality put him in a leetle corner...
Think we were a leetle lucky with Chamberpots 1st half performance, and their goal was down to that fucking Lovechild No 1 Ramesis who acts like a Mummy when he loses the ball! Cannot blame the defender but Wenger allowed a one on one at the back which in anyone's book is a no no, why Cech made himself as small as the Argie Aguerro is a mystery....
Holding was a surprise, but I do feel there has been a leetle resentment which has forced his hand....

Under no circumstances can monreal be absolved of responsibility for their goal -

1. Any c.unt that has played football or watch football for any period of time knows how important organization and communication is - monreal allowed himself to be left 1 v 1 without calling any help back with him, and that is absolutely criminal imo

2. Again any person who has played as a defender in their lives, knows how to play the position and knows the rules of the game - allowing yourself to be left 1 v 1 was bad enough, but to be caught 10/15 yards inside their half is fcuking criminal and the worst of the offences imo :evil: The rules tell you that opposition players cannot be offside in their own half, so why push up any further than the halfway line when you are the only defender back ? :? If he stands on the halfway line there, he gives himself that 10/15 yards headstart on ageuro, and doesn't get done on the ball in behind then

That is not me absolving cech for their goal either cos he was fcuking horrendous for the goal, but monreal was also shocking and it was yet another example of keystone cops defending from an arsole wenker defence with no structure or organisation :oops: :oops: :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:hmmm... what I struggle to understand is how people can still believe results on the pitch might influence Wenger's tenure... there is ZERO evidence to back this up. Jesus lads, if anything, history has taught us that at the fucking whack-a-do circus that is Modern Arsene PLC, the LAST thing that might affect your tenure as a manager is results on the pitch! You can regularly finish 10 to 18 points behind the champions, you can lose games 8-2, 5-0, 6-0, 10-2 on aggregate, piss away 4-0 leads to end up drawing 4-4, repeatedly get knocked out of the last 16 of the CL with as much fight as a fart in a wind storm, go on a 9 year trophy drought, and all the while obscenely overpay shit to average players (not forgetting to claim an obscene wage yourself) and that is just fine, that's just grand, there are no repercussions at all for you the manager - fuck it you will actually get a a payrise! :roll:

As far as the Kroenke argument goes, my only point is that he has failed in his duty as owner by not sacking Wenger. That is the only thing I really hold against him tbh. He has not stopped Wenger spending Arsenal money, (just as equally he has not invested his own money in buying players). But he should have sacked Wenger for repeated failure. That is the key gripe I have with Wiggy. :x

All good points DB10, but lets also admit that there are limits and while the club was far too happy to write those defeats off as freak results in the past, there is always a limit to how long that free pass will last. We don't know if his bosses have lost patience with him yet (we can only hope), but a sustained run of hammerings over a number of years, is far more likely to have consequences, than a few bad results over a 2 or 3 year spell. This season has highlighted the lack of progress that he was expected to make. This season has exposed the myth that it was finances that was holding him back. This season has highlighted the fact that he has lost the backing of some of the dressing room. The club will also be fully aware that wenger has lost the support of a LARGE percentage of the fans regardless of how many protest. Whether all that is enough to force the club to go in a different direction remains to be seen, but don't dismiss this season as the same set of circumstances that has seen the c.unt sign new contracts in the past, because this is a lot worse than it was then

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:hmmm... what I struggle to understand is how people can still believe results on the pitch might influence Wenger's tenure... there is ZERO evidence to back this up. Jesus lads, if anything, history has taught us that at the fucking whack-a-do circus that is Modern Arsene PLC, the LAST thing that might affect your tenure as a manager is results on the pitch! You can regularly finish 10 to 18 points behind the champions, you can lose games 8-2, 5-0, 6-0, 10-2 on aggregate, piss away 4-0 leads to end up drawing 4-4, repeatedly get knocked out of the last 16 of the CL with as much fight as a fart in a wind storm, go on a 9 year trophy drought, and all the while obscenely overpay shit to average players (not forgetting to claim an obscene wage yourself) and that is just fine, that's just grand, there are no repercussions at all for you the manager - fuck it you will actually get a a payrise! :roll:

All good points DB10, but lets also admit that there are limits and while the club was far too happy to write those defeats off as freak results in the past, there is always a limit to how long that free pass will last. We don't know if his bosses have lost patience with him yet (we can only hope), but a sustained run of hammerings over a number of years, is far more likely to have consequences, than a few bad results over a 2 or 3 year spell. This season has highlighted the lack of progress that he was expected to make. This season has exposed the myth that it was finances that was holding him back. This season has highlighted the fact that he has lost the backing of some of the dressing room. The club will also be fully aware that wenger has lost the support of a LARGE percentage of the fans regardless of how many protest. Whether all that is enough to force the club to go in a different direction remains to be seen, but don't dismiss this season as the same set of circumstances that has seen the c.unt sign new contracts in the past, because this is a lot worse than it was then

You see THIS is why people criticise Kroenke.
Yes of course things are worse than they were but we have a board that has ZERO football knowledge and will be blinded by the fact that we have reached the cup final again. Any big club who had any ambition would sack Wenger even if he won the FA Cup - look at Man United last season.
Under Mourinho they are now becoming yet again a much bigger force than us....yet the opportunity has been there in the past few seasons to get Klopp, Pep (hmmm ok :rubchin: ) and now the possibility of Allegri... Will we act ? NO. And this is how Wenger gets away with it all the time.

Yes WENGER is the biggest problem because he is unsackable and is only ever 1 half decent win away from a new pay packet, but the board, and in particular that wig wearing :censored: cannot be ignored either :evil:

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

augie wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

This ain't Wenger....
I'm really happy Rob Holding is getting a fair crack of the whip,look's like one for the future to me,he seems to have more about him than Chambers did/has,
I think this is Wenger but by default though,you know how he's got lucky in the past by drastically changing the side,Schnezney to name but one benefited from Wenger having to change drastically,maybe Gabriel was always a Centre Back in the making,I'm still not sure we look solid but maybe Arsene's blagged it yet again,only time will tell.....

Anyway I think he has stumbled upon it quite frankly with his hot and cold treatment of Walcott and Bellerin of which we know the "Femme Fatal" of Mr Wengers deranged mentality put him in a leetle corner...
Think we were a leetle lucky with Chamberpots 1st half performance, and their goal was down to that fucking Lovechild No 1 Ramesis who acts like a Mummy when he loses the ball! Cannot blame the defender but Wenger allowed a one on one at the back which in anyone's book is a no no, why Cech made himself as small as the Argie Aguerro is a mystery....
Holding was a surprise, but I do feel there has been a leetle resentment which has forced his hand....

Under no circumstances can monreal be absolved of responsibility for their goal -

1. Any c.unt that has played football or watch football for any period of time knows how important organization and communication is - monreal allowed himself to be left 1 v 1 without calling any help back with him, and that is absolutely criminal imo

2. Again any person who has played as a defender in their lives, knows how to play the position and knows the rules of the game - allowing yourself to be left 1 v 1 was bad enough, but to be caught 10/15 yards inside their half is fcuking criminal and the worst of the offences imo :evil: The rules tell you that opposition players cannot be offside in their own half, so why push up any further than the halfway line when you are the only defender back ? :? If he stands on the halfway line there, he gives himself that 10/15 yards headstart on ageuro, and doesn't get done on the ball in behind then

That is not me absolving cech for their goal either cos he was fcuking horrendous for the goal, but monreal was also shocking and it was yet another example of keystone cops defending from an arsole wenker defence with no structure or organisation :oops: :oops: :oops:
Have another look at your so called 10-15 yard start, the useless Welsh wizard was the root cause simple as, lost possession to Toure with very clever movement from Aguerro caught Monreal out who I agree should have had cover, btw where the fuck was Koscielny?
He was the centre back after all.... 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I know where you're coming from DB10 but bar the recent 10-2 aggregate demolition against Bayern none of those other debaucheries you mentioned have occurred with just days remaining on his contract.

Most of us agree that winning the semi final against Wigan and then going on to beat Hull in 2014 "allowed" him to sign an extension. If he had two years left on his contract and lost either of those games he would have been bullet proof in my opinion, the reason the pressure was on was because his contract was about to expire that summer.

A defeat to City last Sunday coupled with a defeat at the swap (or even at Stoke or against Jose) would have made it almost impossible for him to be offered a new deal at this late stage. The fact it's come down to wire is why things are so perilous at the moment, call me naïve if you want but I genuinely believe that he's one or two defeats away from being gone, on the flip side he's one decent run away from signing on for 2 more years.

Buckle up....... :suicide:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:I know where you're coming from DB10 but bar the recent 10-2 aggregate demolition against Bayern none of those other debaucheries you mentioned have occurred with just days remaining on his contract.

Most of us agree that winning the semi final against Wigan and then going on to beat Hull in 2014 "allowed" him to sign an extension. If he had two years left on his contract and lost either of those games he would have been bullet proof in my opinion, the reason the pressure was on was because his contract was about to expire that summer.

A defeat to City last Sunday coupled with a defeat at the swap (or even at Stoke or against Jose) would have made it almost impossible for him to be offered a new deal at this late stage. The fact it's come down to wire is why things are so perilous at the moment, call me naïve if you want but I genuinely believe that he's one or two defeats away from being gone, on the flip side he's one decent run away from signing on for 2 more years.

Rodders old mate you are naive. :D :wink: I believe he has signed it. I also believe that owner and board were never in any doubt about wanting him to stay. I firmly believe results will not influence it one way or the other for the reasons stated above.

I do accept the point from augie and others that a prolonged run of really bad results might change that but how long and how bad is a matter for debate tbh - I reckon it would have to be relegation to provoke a response from the owner or board.

There is also the fact that he is not bad enough (through luck mostly) to suffer the required level of bad results to provoke the board and owner to act. As outsiders that don't take the full context of his failure into account are fond of saying "he has delivered CL football every year for 2 decades, he has won 2 FA cups in 3 years, got us to 2nd place last season and another cup final this season". In a way he does enough to justify his existence not only financially but even in football terms to the idiots on our board... :| :censored:

Clash

Post by Clash »

rodders999 wrote:I know where you're coming from DB10 but bar the recent 10-2 aggregate demolition against Bayern none of those other debaucheries you mentioned have occurred with just days remaining on his contract.

Great post.

I think you are absolutely right to highlight the timing of the contract because that is a crucial part of this. This time last year many were saying ''Wenger should be allowed to see out his final year'' ... as though it was a gesture and as though, unless he did something exceptional, he would be leaving this summer.

What this season has shown once again is that Wenger is no longer fit to be the Arsenal manager or worthy of being the Arsenal manager.

It defies belief that there is even a possibility that he can stay, let alone the fact that it is a probability :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
augie wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
robbo10 wrote:

This ain't Wenger....

Have another look at your so called 10-15 yard start, the useless Welsh wizard was the root cause simple as, lost possession to Toure with very clever movement from Aguerro caught Monreal out who I agree should have had cover, btw where the fuck was Koscielny?
He was the centre back after all.... 8)

I'm not sure what part you have disagreed with me on :? Ramsey, as only ramsey can ( :roll: ), of course lost the ball in a criminal fashion and that started the move for their goal, so we are in agreement there - we both agree that kos (or some other defender) should have been there, so shouldn't monreal have a clear responsibility to bollock one of the other defenders to get back ?

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Rodders old mate you are naive. :D :wink: I believe he has signed it. I also believe that owner and board were never in any doubt about wanting him to stay. I firmly believe results will not influence it one way or the other for the reasons stated above.

I do accept the point from augie and others that a prolonged run of really bad results might change that but how long and how bad is a matter for debate tbh - I reckon it would have to be relegation to provoke a response from the owner or board.

There is also the fact that he is not bad enough (through luck mostly) to suffer the required level of bad results to provoke the board and owner to act. As outsiders that don't take the full context of his failure into account are fond of saying "he has delivered CL football every year for 2 decades, he has won 2 FA cups in 3 years, got us to 2nd place last season and another cup final this season". In a way he does enough to justify his existence not only financially but even in football terms to the idiots on our board... :| :censored:
The highlighted part is a key point.

That is what I've been trying to say where people have been predicting these 'doom and gloom'' scenarios like ''getting rimmed at Spurs'' and ''finishing 7th'' etc. It never gets that bad ... unfortunately it needs to.

I accept your point about results having no influence but I think if they really got bad it would influence the behaviour of the fans and media to an extent that Wenger might walk.

What saves Wenger is results like the SF coming along just at the right time. They keep the wolves from the door just enough to keep him safe.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:

I personally don't believe he has signed it - had he done so, and popluarity among the fan-base counted as little as you suggest, what reason would there have been not to have announced it at any time in the last month? It simply doesn't hold water. I suspect that the outcome has been on a knife-edge, Gazidis is leading the fight against him at board level, and that had we lost on Sunday and not made the top four there was a realistic chance that the Wig-meister would have been persuaded that Wengerball is no longer as profitable as replacing it.

There is still a chance of that, but it is a slimmer one now, and the stars really do have to align.......no top four, United either not to win the Europa or to finish outside the top four if they do win it......AND a tanking by Chelsea (as opposed to either a win or a brave 1-0 defeat with our inspired new 3-at-the-back formation).
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 am, edited 5 times in total.

General

Post by General »

Gunner Rob wrote:
augie wrote:

You see THIS is why people criticise Kroenke.
Yes of course things are worse than they were but we have a board that has ZERO football knowledge and will be blinded by the fact that we have reached the cup final again. Any big club who had any ambition would sack Wenger even if he won the FA Cup - look at Man United last season.
Under Mourinho they are now becoming yet again a much bigger force than us....yet the opportunity has been there in the past few seasons to get Klopp, Pep (hmmm ok :rubchin: ) and now the possibility of Allegri... Will we act ? NO. And this is how Wenger gets away with it all the time.

Yes WENGER is the biggest problem because he is unsackable and is only ever 1 half decent win away from a new pay packet, but the board, and in particular that wig wearing :censored: cannot be ignored either :evil:

I don't think you can accuse Gazidis of having zero football knowledge. SK maybe, but certainly not Gazidis who also sits on the FA board and helps drive policy. Not many fans have come out of the various fan forums which Gazidis fronts and questioned his football knowledge. The issue with SK as has been repeated several times is his refusal to sack Wenger but we are mostly looking at things from a fan's perspective and not from an investor's. I'm still waiting for those who insist he's the evil holding us back to substantiate their claims.

In spite of the humiliations and the cricket scores we've suffered in recent years the old fraud has always managed to save himself just like he's attempting to do now. This is the first season I can recall where his position has come under serious threat because of the unprecedented run of poor results, combined with growing calls for him to stand down and the fact that he's at the end of his contract. Often these issues have played out sparingly with a few years left on his contract so his position was always secure.

The reality is Wenger has never had a poor season like the one Mourinho had at Chelsea last season and had Van Gaal finished in the top 4 in addition to winning the FA cup, United probably would've kept him. Whiles I don't dispute that Pep and Mourinho are better tacticians, they are also the two biggest spenders in the league and aren't doing much better than Wenger. Like rodders I too believe results will play some part in deciding the dinosaur's future. Last year SK sacked the RAMs coach Jeff Fisher after giving him a 3year contract extension and cited performance as one of the reasons. They had given him the contract to stem growing discontent and it backfired spectacularly so it is possible SK has learned his lessons and playing the long game with Wenger. There are many subtleties in this whole situation and I think some fans in their frustration just see it as black and white.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bob - I agree with you in that he has not signed, but I am afraid that there is every likelihood that he still will.

Why hasn't he signed yet?
From my point of view it is fairly clear - had he signed it would have stirred up the protests, especially knowing that we have a tricky run in.
There is absolutely no point in him signing now before the cup final (in fact he will do what he did back in 2014 and sign a few days after)

From him not to sign then really the FA Cup is irrelevant now that we have made the final.
The only way he wont sign is if there are a few heavy defeats especially at home, and the home crowd turn on him.
I am afraid that because we have reached the cup final then that will not happen.

Wenger wants to continue managing for another 4 years and at this stage I fully expect him to be managing Arsenal for another 4 years. :cussing: