THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by rodders999 »

Didn't he say it would all be decided in "March or April"? :roll:

So he's got until Sunday then....anything interesting happening that day?

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

augie wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
augie wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
robbo10 wrote:
I'm really happy Rob Holding is getting a fair crack of the whip,look's like one for the future to me,he seems to have more about him than Chambers did/has,
I think this is Wenger but by default though,you know how he's got lucky in the past by drastically changing the side,Schnezney to name but one benefited from Wenger having to change drastically,maybe Gabriel was always a Centre Back in the making,I'm still not sure we look solid but maybe Arsene's blagged it yet again,only time will tell.....

Anyway I think he has stumbled upon it quite frankly with his hot and cold treatment of Walcott and Bellerin of which we know the "Femme Fatal" of Mr Wengers deranged mentality put him in a leetle corner...
Think we were a leetle lucky with Chamberpots 1st half performance, and their goal was down to that fucking Lovechild No 1 Ramesis who acts like a Mummy when he loses the ball! Cannot blame the defender but Wenger allowed a one on one at the back which in anyone's book is a no no, why Cech made himself as small as the Argie Aguerro is a mystery....
Holding was a surprise, but I do feel there has been a leetle resentment which has forced his hand....

Under no circumstances can monreal be absolved of responsibility for their goal -

1. Any c.unt that has played football or watch football for any period of time knows how important organization and communication is - monreal allowed himself to be left 1 v 1 without calling any help back with him, and that is absolutely criminal imo

2. Again any person who has played as a defender in their lives, knows how to play the position and knows the rules of the game - allowing yourself to be left 1 v 1 was bad enough, but to be caught 10/15 yards inside their half is fcuking criminal and the worst of the offences imo :evil: The rules tell you that opposition players cannot be offside in their own half, so why push up any further than the halfway line when you are the only defender back ? :? If he stands on the halfway line there, he gives himself that 10/15 yards headstart on ageuro, and doesn't get done on the ball in behind then

That is not me absolving cech for their goal either cos he was fcuking horrendous for the goal, but monreal was also shocking and it was yet another example of keystone cops defending from an arsole wenker defence with no structure or organisation :oops: :oops: :oops:
Have another look at your so called 10-15 yard start, the useless Welsh wizard was the root cause simple as, lost possession to Toure with very clever movement from Aguerro caught Monreal out who I agree should have had cover, btw where the fuck was Koscielny?
He was the centre back after all.... 8)

I'm not sure what part you have disagreed with me on :? Ramsey, as only ramsey can ( :roll: ), of course lost the ball in a criminal fashion and that started the move for their goal, so we are in agreement there - we both agree that kos (or some other defender) should have been there, so shouldn't monreal have a clear responsibility to bollock one of the other defenders to get back ?
Actually Augie I am not disagreeing with you, I have just been through the rerun of the incident and from every angle I can see from our initial attack
Monreal on his Todd, Gabriel marking space and Koscielny nowhere to be seen.
Monreal was caught out fair and square, but Toure and Aguero have to take some credit with the quick pass and assault on the goal...
As coach someone should have been marking Aguerro and someone should have been on the halfway line when Kos went walkabout
So the initial set up was entirely wrong and Koscielny being the fastest (may be wrong) should have been on the hallway line marking space with Monreal marking Aguero...

Hope the skinny one takes fucking notice of this as much as we have...
When playing a three at the back space actually slaughters you when you get caught, so what looks like Monreal fucking up, the real villain is Koscielny who abdicating his central role at that vital time in other words leaving it to a Wingback is criminal....

Herd

Post by Herd »

The match is over , we won , no ifs not buts no maybe's ,deal with it and move on !
:roll:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

rodders999 wrote:Didn't he say it would all be decided in "March or April"? :roll:

I am sure that Spurs will be quite happy for the signing to take place on their pitch at WHL at about 6.30pm.
:D :oops:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
rodders999 wrote:Didn't he say it would all be decided in "March or April"? :roll:

I am sure that Spurs will be quite happy for the signing to take place on their pitch at WHL at about 6.30pm.
You bet, I know the complete focus will be on the NLD once the Leicester game is out of the way but I must say I do fear the worst for Sunday, I pray I'm wrong but I fear a rinsing. :cussing:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

rodders999 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

You bet, I know the focus won't be on the NLD until the Leicester game is out of the way but I must say I do fear the worst for Sunday, I pray I'm wrong but I fear a rinsing. :cussing:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

rodders999 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

You bet, I know the focus won't be on the NLD until the Leicester game is out of the way but I must say I do fear the worst for Sunday, I pray I'm wrong but I fear a rinsing. :cussing:

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

rodders999 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

A rinsing...nah...sure we're playing 3 at the back and its won us 2 games....Alli & Kane and co vs Gabriel and holding......i can see nothing going wrong :barscarf:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:hmmm... what I struggle to understand is how people can still believe results on the pitch might influence Wenger's tenure... there is ZERO evidence to back this up. Jesus lads, if anything, history has taught us that at the fucking whack-a-do circus that is Modern Arsene PLC, the LAST thing that might affect your tenure as a manager is results on the pitch! You can regularly finish 10 to 18 points behind the champions, you can lose games 8-2, 5-0, 6-0, 10-2 on aggregate, piss away 4-0 leads to end up drawing 4-4, repeatedly get knocked out of the last 16 of the CL with as much fight as a fart in a wind storm, go on a 9 year trophy drought, and all the while obscenely overpay shit to average players (not forgetting to claim an obscene wage yourself) and that is just fine, that's just grand, there are no repercussions at all for you the manager - fuck it you will actually get a a payrise! :roll:

As far as the Kroenke argument goes, my only point is that he has failed in his duty as owner by not sacking Wenger. That is the only thing I really hold against him tbh. He has not stopped Wenger spending Arsenal money, (just as equally he has not invested his own money in buying players). But he should have sacked Wenger for repeated failure. That is the key gripe I have with Wiggy. :x

All good points DB10, but lets also admit that there are limits and while the club was far too happy to write those defeats off as freak results in the past, there is always a limit to how long that free pass will last. We don't know if his bosses have lost patience with him yet (we can only hope), but a sustained run of hammerings over a number of years, is far more likely to have consequences, than a few bad results over a 2 or 3 year spell. This season has highlighted the lack of progress that he was expected to make. This season has exposed the myth that it was finances that was holding him back. This season has highlighted the fact that he has lost the backing of some of the dressing room. The club will also be fully aware that wenger has lost the support of a LARGE percentage of the fans regardless of how many protest. Whether all that is enough to force the club to go in a different direction remains to be seen, but don't dismiss this season as the same set of circumstances that has seen the c.unt sign new contracts in the past, because this is a lot worse than it was then

Two excellent posts and merit in both of them. In fact, I've no idea what's affecting this forum today :D :wink: , but there are numerous excellent posts following on from these, from Clash, Rodders, Bob Baylis and General.

I'm with the group that feel that results will determine Wenger's future. Bluntly, other than death, nothing else can, because he'll be turning up as a 90 year old on a zimmer frame, if he's allowed to. Results and fan reaction are the only things that can drive him out and therein lies our problem. At the risk of repeating myself, I was never in any doubt that he would be offered and would sign a contract, regardless of what happens for the remainder of the season, but the bad results need to keep coming, so that the discontent keeps simmering. That way, a poor start to next season would see the pressure ramped up far sooner than usual. So, I can't buy it when people say that Sunday's result will have no bearing, because it's a longer term, cumulative effect we need and a semi final loss would have added to the angst from our recent poor shows.

Unfortunately for us, our results need to be far worse and far more sustained, than at any other club (especially a so-called big club), because of the fan factor. For the plankton that follow our Club, Sunday's win is a huge credit in the bank for him and in their minds wipes out much of the recent dismal run. However, losses to the scum, to Utd, a hammering from the chavs in the final, finishing 5th or 6th, etc will put pressure on him. He may be teflon coated, but he ain't indestructible and if the fixture list at the start of next season is unkind, he'll be on the ropes.

There is evidence that our fans can turn on him, it was getting nasty when he took off the Ox in the game against Utd, at the start of the season with the 8-2 and the 1-3 season opener against Villa. It was possibly the most toxic of all during the 2014 semi against Wigan (that, more than any other, was the one lucky result that saved him imo and shows how important one off results can be (especially semis and finals) and that they do matter.

I also believe that there's evidence of the board acting under pressure from the fans. Following the 8-2 we saw the mad trolley dash on the last day of the transfer window and the 1-3 to Villa saw a similar reaction with the almost immediate purchase of Ozil. I really don't think that was inspired by Wenger, those were board decisions. We all know Wenger doesn't give a damn about criticism from the fans, in fact he digs in deeper, but there was one key aspect here (and forgive me if this sounds big-headed) that I've never heard or seen mention of anywhere.....on both those occasions, the fans were booming out "spend some fucking money" and there was no way that the board could allow the window to close without doing so. Can you imagine the damage to the brand if the poor results continued and that had been boomed out for 4 months, non-stop from Sep to end Dec, up to the next window ? In my opinion, they panicked and spent. Whether they spent well is irrelevant, because we could hardly start chanting "spend some fucking money, but make sure you spend it well, because we don't like who you've bought"......spending money killed the immediate protest. The fans caused that, but don't realise it and it was the board who saw the danger, because Wenger wouldn't care if we were chanting against him for ever more. In short, bad results and fan reaction could force this issue....sadly, they probably won't, because the docile plankton won't act in sufficient numbers and as Xisstential says, we'll get the management that we deserve.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Of our matches left I can't see us getting enough to get into top4.There are possibly a few bumholings in store aswell..

Leicester Win or Draw
Scum Lose or Draw
Soton Lose or Draw
Manure le fartpipe never beats maureen
Stoke our record up there :oops:
Sunderland Flat track..
Everton le fartpipe never beats koeman

I can see 3wins at the most in this lot, we could draw a few,we could get rimmed in a good few :oops: you just never know with this shower.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

xgtdec wrote: A rinsing...nah...sure we're playing 3 at the back and its won us 2 games....Alli & Kane and co vs Gabriel and holding......i can see nothing going wrong :barscarf:
Thanks for the reassurance :lol:

The back 3 is a bomb waiting to detonate in my opinion. We got away with it at Boro and again at the weekend, and we may even get away with it against Leicester tomorrow night, but I have to admit that I'm absolutely terrified it just might go kaboom next Sunday. I hope to fcuk I'm wrong but as you say the prospect of Gabriel (who's had his one good game in ten) and Holding (who has looked very promising of late to be fair but a NLD is a completely different animal as we all know) going up against the crayon muncher and Alli at the swamp is going to require multiple changes of undies for me throughout the 90 minutes.

That system works so well at the Chavs because they have Matic and Kante screening their defence, whereas it's Ramsey and Xhaka attempting to do that job for us. Boro, with the worst attack in the league, scored and created 12 other chances against us and we rode our luck massively against City at times, that bomb is gonna blow......just pray it's not on Sunday.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:
xgtdec wrote: A rinsing...nah...sure we're playing 3 at the back and its won us 2 games....Alli & Kane and co vs Gabriel and holding......i can see nothing going wrong :barscarf:
Thanks for the reassurance :lol:

The back 3 is a bomb waiting to detonate in my opinion. We got away with it at Boro and again at the weekend, and we may even get away with it against Leicester tomorrow night, but I have to admit that I'm absolutely terrified it just might go kaboom next Sunday. I hope to fcuk I'm wrong but as you say the prospect of Gabriel (who's had his one good game in ten) and Holding (who has looked very promising of late to be fair but a NLD is a completely different animal as we all know) going up against the crayon muncher and Alli at the swamp is going to require multiple changes of undies for me throughout the 90 minutes.

That system works so well at the Chavs because they have Matic and Kante screening their defence, whereas it's Ramsey and Xhaka attempting to do that job for us. Boro, with the worst attack in the league, scored and created 12 other chances against us and we rode our luck massively against City at times, that bomb is gonna blow......just pray it's not on Sunday.

It will be. :( :(

General

Post by General »

falkirk goon wrote:Of our matches left I can't see us getting enough to get into top4.There are possibly a few bumholings in store aswell..

Leicester Win or Draw
Scum Lose or Draw
Soton Lose or Draw
Sunderland Flat track..

I can see 3wins at the most in this lot, we could draw a few,we could get rimmed in a good few :oops: you just never know with this shower.
Yes but you're just looking at one side of the equation. Liverpool, City and United could still swing the door open. Liverpool in particular simply can't erase the impression that they are not interested in CL football next season. Whether we finish top 4 or not, it will be close and le fraud can put a positive spin on it. :(

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

The scum have been in our shadow for over 20 years now, this is the first time they have 'realistically' been odds on to better us albeit by finishing above us, their team is playing well - even allowing for the defeat against the chavs on the w/end. They have a Very Good manager who does 'Tactics' - unlike cluelesscunt. They have good momentum, we have had very little if any.
Our players will either (still) be in cloud cuckoo-land after beating $hitty,AND a leetul beet jaded OR will now have the bit between their teeth and be eager for another scalp - I have my own opinions as to which one I think it will be.

After 20 years of being made to look losers, they will have every reason in the book to want to turn us over and then some, whereas we ??? Well - we all know will either turn up in style with Ozil being classy and alexis the pitbull genius and destroy them or revert to being snowflakes and melt in the heat of the NLD.

:? :? :?

:barscarf: COYG :barscarf:

as for the remaining games

we will beat Leicester
We will win or Lose against the scum - No Draw this time around.
We will Beat or draw against Soton
For once clueless will get one over on maureen
Draw at the Orcs:
We Will Destroy Sunderland

It will go down to the wire on the last day when we play Everton

:barscarf:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

falkirk goon wrote:Of our matches left I can't see us getting enough to get into top4.There are possibly a few bumholings in store aswell..

Leicester Win or Draw
Scum Lose or Draw
Soton Lose or Draw
Sunderland Flat track..

And a cup final thrashing by the Chavs as they win the double should be enough for the flippers to turn on Wenger again..

Every cloud and all that...

:twisted: :o