THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by xisstential »

Retro Gunner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
xgtdec wrote: A rinsing...nah...sure we're playing 3 at the back and its won us 2 games....Alli & Kane and co vs Gabriel and holding......i can see nothing going wrong :barscarf:
Thanks for the reassurance :lol:

The back 3 is a bomb waiting to detonate in my opinion. We got away with it at Boro and again at the weekend, and we may even get away with it against Leicester tomorrow night, but I have to admit that I'm absolutely terrified it just might go kaboom next Sunday. I hope to fcuk I'm wrong but as you say the prospect of Gabriel (who's had his one good game in ten) and Holding (who has looked very promising of late to be fair but a NLD is a completely different animal as we all know) going up against the crayon muncher and Alli at the swamp is going to require multiple changes of undies for me throughout the 90 minutes.

That system works so well at the Chavs because they have Matic and Kante screening their defence, whereas it's Ramsey and Xhaka attempting to do that job for us. Boro, with the worst attack in the league, scored and created 12 other chances against us and we rode our luck massively against City at times, that bomb is gonna blow......just pray it's not on Sunday.

It will be. :( :(
And the worst thing is, even if we are 3 down at half time, he'll sit there transfixed and stick with the system until the end of the game. If he reverts to 4 at the back he'll only do that for the next game because it's illegal to change formations during a game. You can make personnel changes (only after 70 minutes) but you cannot change formations in the middle of a game.

As an aside I wonder how much they're offering the 4th official to take this one, he is in for a torrid afternoon from Overcoat Man.

Herd

Post by Herd »

The 3 at the back"experiment" is indeed a desperate roll of the dice by the Old Fraud but is leaving gaping holes all over !

markyp

Post by markyp »

Herd wrote:The 3 at the back"experiment" is indeed a desperate roll of the dice by the Old Fraud but is leaving gaping holes all over !
which Vardy will expose tomorrow

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:And one more category...

Self righteous, uber protestors, looking down from their self built lofty perches commenting on what everyone else hasn't done!
Quality Stevo :lol: 8)

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Herd wrote:
Redarmy wrote:Think someone else has previously mentioned the Extra time team talk from Wenger

It was comical, he looked lost, really was like watching Mr Bean......and when he did gather the players round half were not paying attention or listening....think it was only his mate Ramsey who was making an effort

Compare that with Gaurdiola, giving out what looked like direct tactical orders to each player all listening intently....
Yes but for all of pepe's words ,his team talk didn't work though ,come on lets be happy for a day eh ?
Dont get me wrong i was delighted with the result....i want that 13th FA Cup gutted me when Man utd drew level with us

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
xisstential wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Self righteous, uber protestors, looking down from their self built lofty perches commenting on what everyone else hasn't done!
:lol: :lol: 8)
I think it's an unfair criticism really. We paid £550 for a bus and got 7 people. SEVEN...nobody wanted to go because there was no booze. I know some of the guys that are ALWAYS there must be looking around thinking what the hell is the point. I feel like that most of the time. And then of course there's Wenger and his devils luck.....

If you look at the majority of our fan base,we deserve him...Ian Wright is actually the walking, talking embodiment of the modern day, flip flopping Arsenal supporter. He's our cheerleader :? :cry: :cry:
I don't think SteveO was referring to you or the other protest leaders that have done sterling work, mate. At least I hope he wasn't.
Indeed I wasn't, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to ask me what I've done and then you can work it out for yourselves. Its been at least 2 days since he did ! :barscarf:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Must be me getting criticised here then.
So asking how you intend getting rid of Kroenke makes someone a "self-righteous uber protester"

Hows that work out?

General

Post by General »

Herd wrote:The 3 at the back"experiment" is indeed a desperate roll of the dice by the Old Fraud but is leaving gaping holes all over !
It's only a matter before it's horribly exposed and the fraud reverts to the familiar and well rehearsed gung ho approach. It's obvious him and Bould haven't got a fecking clue how to deploy the formation properly and Primark probably keeps a hard copy of the manual in the stands ready for troubleshooting. Thanks to City being a mirror image of us we got away with it. Even at 2-1 up we somehow managed to get overstretched and City had 3-2, I couldn't believe my eyes. I was watching the chavs play the same formation against Southampton tonight and their discipline, pressing and work rate are streets ahead of ours. For me it's not even about the formation but the clear evidence that these players are well coached. We will never reach this level when the fraud gives our players carte blanche to do as they please. This is one of the fundamental reasons why we suffer from these high scoring defeats.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

Has he gone yet?

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
xisstential wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

:lol: :lol: 8)
I think it's an unfair criticism really. We paid £550 for a bus and got 7 people. SEVEN...nobody wanted to go because there was no booze. I know some of the guys that are ALWAYS there must be looking around thinking what the hell is the point. I feel like that most of the time. And then of course there's Wenger and his devils luck.....

If you look at the majority of our fan base,we deserve him...Ian Wright is actually the walking, talking embodiment of the modern day, flip flopping Arsenal supporter. He's our cheerleader :? :cry: :cry:
I don't think SteveO was referring to you or the other protest leaders that have done sterling work, mate. At least I hope he wasn't.
Indeed I wasn't, I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to ask me what I've done and then you can work it out for yourselves. Its been at least 2 days since he did ! :barscarf:
I don't thing its right criticising those that have campaigned tirelessly against, sometimes violent opposition, to get this charlatan out of the club (I do not include myself in this, nor most of the protest organisers, we are really Johnny come lately's compared to them) I really don't know why people feel the need to have a go at them, I'm not talking about people like the fence sitting, should I stick or should I twist Leftfoot, but genuine lovers of AFC who recognise Wenger for what he is. Guys like Armchair & Nick have virtually fought a single handed battle for years and if that is who is being referred to as uber protesters I think that is wrong. You have to understand protesters frustration that we cannot get a sustained assault going on this duplicitous, greedy man....one scrappy win and we revert to our TO1AW default position. So frustrating.There are guys who are going to be interviewed later this year who have been driven out of the club, one of them at least, who was clobbered for protesting. There is so much division among supporters, I feel the least those who want him out should do, is put aside whatever differences we have and focus on the target. There are so many fence sitters giving shit advice, muddying the waters...as far as I'm concerned it's a simple question...Do you want him gone or do you want him to stay?? The rest is noise. We want him GONE!!!
Last edited by xisstential on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Eboue-Why? wrote:Has he gone yet?
Unfortunately not :( any slim chance got even slimmer on Sunday :(

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

falkirk goon wrote:
Is there any other club in the world where one win, not a final, not a trophy, just one scrappy win, can just erase more than a dozen, shocking, embarrassing, head in the hands humiliations?? Only at AFC :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Herd

Post by Herd »

General wrote:
It's only a matter before it's horribly exposed and the fraud reverts to the familiar and well rehearsed gung ho approach. It's obvious him and Bould haven't got a fecking clue how to deploy the formation properly and Primark probably keeps a hard copy of the manual in the stands ready for troubleshooting. Thanks to City being a mirror image of us we got away with it. Even at 2-1 up we somehow managed to get overstretched and City had 3-2, I couldn't believe my eyes. I was watching the chavs play the same formation against Southampton tonight and their discipline, pressing and work rate are streets ahead of ours. For me it's not even about the formation but the clear evidence that these players are well coached. We will never reach this level when the fraud gives our players carte blanche to do as they please. This is one of the fundamental reasons why we suffer from these high scoring defeats.
Unfortunately I think you are only too right but lets see.
I doubt if this "change has anything to do with Bould either ,the only plus defensively is that Holding is getting games and Giroud helps a lot at set piece defending .
I would still have bellerin there though and have Ox up the middle and Coq instead of xhaka BUT lets see .
Going tonight lets see !

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Herd wrote:
General wrote:
Unfortunately I think you are only too right but lets see.
I doubt if this "change has anything to do with Bould either ,the only plus defensively is that Holding is getting games and Giroud helps a lot at set piece defending .
I would still have bellerin there though and have Ox up the middle and Coq instead of xhaka BUT lets see .
Going tonight lets see !

Agreed. Bellerin back in, Ox to replace Ramsey in centre midfield and Coq to replace the hapless Xhaka. Coq gets a lot of stick, but compared to Xhaka, he's almost, well, Kante ! As for the Ox, he's a prime example of a boy with bundles of talent and promise, who has been hamstrung by Wenger, the great destroyer of young careers.

If Ox has any sense, he'll be off this Summer and there will be no shortage of takers. In the right hands, I'm still convinced the he can be top quality.

Unfortunately Herd, none of those team changes will happen. :(

Babu

Post by Babu »

xisstential wrote:
falkirk goon wrote:
Is there any other club in the world where one win, not a final, not a trophy, just one scrappy win, can just erase more than a dozen, shocking, embarrassing, head in the hands humiliations?? Only at AFC :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
It's a "win" that got the Club to a Wembley Final.

That was one of the most amazing things to happen to "my" Club when I was young.
The fact that I got it three years in a row was too much to believe!
And even in those halcyon times we got fucking humiliated in two of them!

But which one do we remember?
Of course!

phpBB [video]