THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
flash gunner

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by flash gunner »

armchair wrote:So...........if someone reckons spurs will finish ahead of us this season and posts it on here, will they get called a "scum supporter" and vilified again?
:rubchin:

Asking for a friend..........
Yes careful my friend

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Tollgoon wrote:I haven't used my season tickets (2 - someone else using them )since 2008,except for the occasional freebie from friends who couldn't go. 1 This seemed to happen a lot more regularly over the last 5 years - tickets going spare, in tandem with the quality of the football going down.2. All the JCLs tourists that the club think will fill the stadium will start to dwindle as the club loses it's star players to be replaced by inferior product, and we slip down the table, self fulfilling - its happening as we speak. Tourists won't want to Facebook/ snapchat / instagram about how they went to see Arsenal vs Neverheardofthem FC in the Europy league, where's the kudos in that? Its worth reiterating the last point because once Wiggy sees his bottom line affected that will make him sit up.
Exactly, I just don't see tourists bothering if (when) we lose our two big players, are in the Europa league against some dodgy Latvian outfit and play our current 'style' of sideways passing and creating 2 shots a game.

Spurs in a couple of years will have a big ground, Chelsea maybe 5-6 years down the line too, we will be the 3rd choice in town if we carry on as we are.

The silent floating fans will likely drift off to other clubs or find other things to do, the apathy that is leading to our failure on the field will soon follow off it. It wont be long before we are termed the dreaded 'sleeping giant' unless Stan is f**ked off, you could argue we already are.

augie

Post by augie »

If wenker signs the extension, will any top (or next layer down) player join a club in the type of open turmoil that we are in ? If there is a change of manager a player/players would be more inclined to join knowing that the manager who was signing them would be here for a few years, plus they would be joining a club with the fans and the club pulling in the same direction - if he stays, any potential signing would look at a manager that is in open conflict with the fans, and who could leave the club at any moment leaving the player high and dry.

For those that say that we wont be buying any player at that level, ask yourself if the club will allow sanchez and ozil to leave (which they will), and still keep wenker on without giving him some top quality players - if they didn't make big signings it will look like a lack of backing for the manager, and a lack of confidence for potential signings

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Yeah next season will be grim - Thursday 6pm games v FC fuckknowswhwre and paying category B prices for the privilege :roll:

markyp

Post by markyp »

Gunner Rob wrote:Yeah next season will be grim - Thursday 6pm games v FC fuckknowswhwre and paying category B prices for the privilege :roll:
not just next season though is it,it will be three years of it if he signs that two year deal,the best we can hope for is 2 years of this playing under the radar where nobody cares and slipping into the shadows of the footballing world and playing our league games on a sunday but not on sky,this will be Wenkers greatest acheivement ,we really have never had it so good :barscarf:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Just a couple of observations on the past few pages...

- Neville is a colossal *word censored* and after the comments during the Chelsea defeat, I've decided to no longer listen to his drivel. I never bought into this "Hated him as a player, but what a great pundit he is" malarky. We should just ignore him as he doesn't say anything worth listening to. I assume he's advocating for "no sackings during the season" after his historically laughable effort (and subsequent sacking) while at Valencia.

- I haven't yet seen the Smudger video and I'm glad he's seen the light, let's not pretend this isn't the same guy pedalling the "Be careful what you wish for" bollocks as recently as 2015. I'm glad he and other pundits have seen the light, but they're partly to blame for why this has been allowed to continue for so long. Why weren't they criticising Wenger back in 2012 like the rest of us?

- Piers Morgan is generally bang on the money in his anti-Wenger appearances, but I lost a lot more respect for him after a) he refused to publicise (or join) the Wenger protests, b) he did publicise the ill-fated pro-Wenger demonstration, and c) he hasn't, to my knowledge, chipped in to the Wenger Out fund or offered anything other than self-indulgent tweets. If it's not all about him, then he simply doesn't give a fuck.

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Gunner Rob wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:So glad I do not have a season ticket "what a waste of money"...
Yeah, the best protest of all is not hiring planes or going on the march, it is turning your back on them and not giving them a penny.

I don't buy all this tourists will fill the Emirates nonsense, they might put a few thousand fans at the game but not anywhere near enough to fill in for horde's of missing supporters.
season ticket holders have kept Wenger in a job.
harsh but true.

if every ST holder had not renewed in 2014 with the last contract extension due then these last 3 years would not have happened.
Really? That would have meant fuck all! The STs would have been sold on to others. End of!!

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

wilko49er wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:So glad I do not have a season ticket "what a waste of money"...
Yeah, the best protest of all is not hiring planes or going on the march, it is turning your back on them and not giving them a penny.

I don't buy all this tourists will fill the Emirates nonsense, they might put a few thousand fans at the game but not anywhere near enough to fill in for horde's of missing supporters.
harsh but true.

if every ST holder had not renewed in 2014 with the last contract extension due then these last 3 years would not have happened.
Really? That would have meant fuck all! The STs would have been sold on to others. End of!!
Surely if there's an endless stream of fans clamouring to get in the stadium, we'd never see these banks of empty seats like we have on multiple occasions this season?

I saw "official" attendances released by police for a season a few years back, and there were more than a handful of 45,000 - 50,000 figures even for league games. So if ST holders did, in theory, all quit at exactly the same time, I'd be surprised if that stadium would be brimming to capacity with different people.

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
wilko49er wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:

harsh but true.

Surely if there's an endless stream of fans clamouring to get in the stadium, we'd never see these banks of empty seats like we have on multiple occasions this season?

I saw "official" attendances released by police for a season a few years back, and there were more than a handful of 45,000 - 50,000 figures even for league games. So if ST holders did, in theory, all quit at exactly the same time, I'd be surprised if that stadium would be brimming to capacity with different people.
They would find ways of getting tourists and plastics in. Flog tickets for cheaper prices on ticketmaster. Thats what other clubs do.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

voice of reason you're spot on in all three points. i feel neville's comments are always motivated by some self absorbed agenda. as for smith, it's nice of him to pipe up now but just like merse and wrighty he'll pedal the whole "arsene is arsenal" thing soon enough when we put two or three results together again. morgan is right, but a *word censored*.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Hasn't the penny dropped that those who are still defending Wenger to the last are those who want Arsenal to become weaker and weaker (Neville, Pulis etc).

Those who love Arsenal and who predated Wenger - the likes of Smudge and (apart from the last year) Wrighty, are telling it like it is.

It is the most compelling reason why respecting Rocky and calling Wenger out are in no sense incompatible - I would go so far as it respects Rocky and all he stood for to stand loud and proud against this rotten manager and Arsenal regime.

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

VoiceOfReason wrote:Just a couple of observations on the past few pages...

- Neville is a colossal *word censored* and after the comments during the Chelsea defeat, I've decided to no longer listen to his drivel. I never bought into this "Hated him as a player, but what a great pundit he is" malarky. We should just ignore him as he doesn't say anything worth listening to. I assume he's advocating for "no sackings during the season" after his historically laughable effort (and subsequent sacking) while at Valencia.

- I haven't yet seen the Smudger video and I'm glad he's seen the light, let's not pretend this isn't the same guy pedalling the "Be careful what you wish for" bollocks as recently as 2015. I'm glad he and other pundits have seen the light, but they're partly to blame for why this has been allowed to continue for so long. Why weren't they criticising Wenger back in 2012 like the rest of us?

- Piers Morgan is generally bang on the money in his anti-Wenger appearances, but I lost a lot more respect for him after a) he refused to publicise (or join) the Wenger protests, b) he did publicise the ill-fated pro-Wenger demonstration, and c) he hasn't, to my knowledge, chipped in to the Wenger Out fund or offered anything other than self-indulgent tweets. If it's not all about him, then he simply doesn't give a fuck.
I saw a couple of his tweets on the Wenger out pages today...I replied to 2 of his tweets telling him to put his money where his mouth is and to contribute. Last week I sent him a link to the fundraising page. Nothing...he can go swing...if he tries to hijack this thing at the end I will scream from the rooftops how he refused to donate. As you said, EVERYTHING is ALWAYS ALL about him.

NickF

Post by NickF »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
I had no respect for him after his rag got hard working Arsenal fans the sack after Copenhagen.

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

augie wrote:Btw, in the past I have on occasion defended those who chose to renew their season tickets, but this ship has now sailed - any c.unt that renews after he signs the contract is not a proper Gooner imo :evil: :evil: :evil:
So anyone that waited years on lists to get a season ticket, and wants to watch Arsenal FC play football, is a crunt if they renew because Wenger stays!! Sound logic that is! I go when i can to watch Arsenal. I dont give a fuck about Wenger. Your post has just made the issue about him and not your club. This is exactly what i thought everyone was against Its Arsenal FC and not Arsene FC, first and foremost. If you want an ST you pay!! It doesnt matter who is in charge. Dont want it then dont pay. Some will say stuff it no more, fair play! ( i am pratically there!) Some will boycott! I did that but if i dont sell on TX i lose money, and some other twat takes the seat anyway. So saying all STs holders who renew are crunts! Is wrong! All down to individual choice. Lets face it i want him gone but it doesn't mean shit unless he walks or gets the elbow. Its out of the fans hands, no matter how much is done demonsrations banners etc. It is sadly a small minority! The club dont give a fuck about the fans. But i give a fuck about Arsenal FC if i want go renew my ST i will do so, and i still have the right to whinge and criticise like the rest of them, for change etc. Not paying in to the club and being vocal doesnt mean i am better than those paying for memberships, or vice versa. Does anyone honestly think, that the club would allow non renewal of STS to become an issue. They are a business they will fill those numbers somehow. There will always be those willing to pay. Regardless of if we end up mid table shite again.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Only time will tell if there is this endless stream of zombies willing to pay up to watch sh1te, I remember back in the 80's and 90's attendances were in the 20,000's or less regularly at Arsenal, even less at Chelsea etc.

If we are not seen to be part of the 'elite' London clubs anymore things will turn quickly, West Ham are only filling the Olympic stadium by giving away tickets, maybe that is what we'll be doing in a few years. :roll:

Like I said once Spuds and Chavs get their new grounds floaters will have choice and why would they choose to watch us?.

Hey Stan, don't take it personally, it's just business right?. :twisted: