THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by NickF »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm
look at it from the view point of Josh Kroenke who knows nothing about football.
You know him personally then?
Kind of like saying people from the UK know nothing about American Football or Baseball.

Midz

Post by Midz »

NickF wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
look at it from the view point of Josh Kroenke who knows nothing about football.
Kind of like saying people from the UK know nothing about American Football or Baseball.
ahahahaa..we don't and don't want to :D

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Midz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm
NickF wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Never trust sports where the "World Champions" never beat anyone from other countries.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:49 pm
Kroenke junior is not here to do a Gap analysis or root and branch review on the footballing side. Anyone that believes that is deluded. My money is on him doing a profit maximisation review of the business and real estate side.
Lol you're even more cynical than me. :twisted:

If you're right lets hope he reaches the conclusion, that with the team on a downward trend, that the best thing to do is get on the phone to Usmanov's people..

If only, f*cking poisonous yanks. :banghead:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Bump

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Kroenke junior is not here to do a Gap analysis or root and branch review on the footballing side. Anyone that believes that is deluded. My money is on him doing a profit maximisation review of the business and real estate side.
Quick look up on Wikipedia and he worked as an underwriter at real estate group, Lehman Brothers.
Gonna be job cuts at the Emirates.
Also, why is our board full of people who should be retired?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Midz wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:35 pm
NickF wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
:lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

If you're right lets hope he reaches the conclusion, that with the team on a downward trend, that the best thing to do is get on the phone to Usmanov's people..

I am quite cynical but I'm also a pragmatic person. I simply cannot see Kroenke giving enough of a shit about the footballing side to step on Wenger's toes. All evidence to date suggests this.

Kroenke is vermin but he is also a cunning bastard business man and his concern is profit maximisation.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

NickF wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
Josh Kroenke openly admits he doesnt know much about football.
Speaking in 2011 when asked whether he could have a role at Arsenal in the future he said,
“That would be great. I don’t pretend to possess the knowledge base that the people over there who are running it do but, from a business stand-point in sports, it’s all similar yet different. I love London. I would love to be involved at some level but I have to understand what I am doing on the most intricate levels before I get involved in something like that.”

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

This comes on the back of reports that with new commercial deals to be negotiated (shirt sponsors mainly), and the fact we dont look like making the CL this year or in the new future, potential sponsors are low-balling any deals given our new status as a bonafide europea league team.

I said a while ago that Wenger was failing on the money making side as well as the football side. He has been spending big on players and failing to keep us in the top 4. Wenger is a very expensive manager to back - he is the 4th highest paid manager in the world, spends a lot of money and cannot qualify for entry into the CL cash cow. There are reports of declines in sales of merchandise & less demand for season & match day tickets.

Before hand he we used to always qualify for the CL and have a positive net spend, & the fans were generally content consumers (thats what we are to them, not fans) but those days are long gone and its being noticed by the American capitalists.

It might not be fan pressure due to lack of results that gets Wenger sacked, he might actually get the can because he is costing them club too much money.

General

Post by General »

Wilson wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 am
This comes on the back of reports that with new commercial deals to be negotiated (shirt sponsors mainly), and the fact we dont look like making the CL this year or in the new future, potential sponsors are low-balling any deals given our new status as a bonafide europea league team.

I said a while ago that Wenger was failing on the money making side as well as the football side. He has been spending big on players and failing to keep us in the top 4. Wenger is a very expensive manager to back - he is the 4th highest paid manager in the world, spends a lot of money and cannot qualify for entry into the CL cash cow. There are reports of declines in sales of merchandise & less demand for season & match day tickets.

Before hand he we used to always qualify for the CL and have a positive net spend, & the fans were generally content consumers (thats what we are to them, not fans) but those days are long gone and its being noticed by the American capitalists.

It might not be fan pressure due to lack of results that gets Wenger sacked, he might actually get the can because he is costing them club too much money.
The player fire sale might have just helped offset the loss of CL money. The fact that Wenger was willing to agree to the sale of so many of his loyalists shows how much he's willing to sacrifice to stay at the helm. Any financial decline is going to be slow and barely noticeable like the football. There would come a point when the need to hire a top coach to help us punch above our weight can no longer be sidestepped.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:37 am
sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

I am quite cynical but I'm also a pragmatic person. I simply cannot see Kroenke giving enough of a shit about the footballing side to step on Wenger's toes. All evidence to date suggests this.

Kroenke is vermin but he is also a cunning bastard business man and his concern is profit maximisation.
There should be a price on his head!...

Oops Wig!.....

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

General wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 am
Wilson wrote:

The player fire sale might have just helped offset the loss of CL money. The fact that Wenger was willing to agree to the sale of so many of his loyalists shows how much he's willing to sacrifice to stay at the helm. Any financial decline is going to be slow and barely noticeable like the football. There would come a point when the need to hire a top coach to help us punch above our weight can no longer be sidestepped.
Wenger is a survivor....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Wilson wrote:

The CL money is not worth what it used to be to us as a club. The TV deals far far outweigh the CL income. Also Wenger has unloaded players (particularly players like Walcott and Giroud who were on huge wages) so our spend on new players is next to nothing in the bigger scheme of things. Wenger is the perfect manager for Kroenke because he doesn't ask for the millions and millions that are required to build a league winning side.

General

Post by General »