THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:34 pm
I think this is all happening now because the board do not believe we will pull back the 8 point deficit for top4, we won't beat Manchester city in the league, so no domestic trophy.
There's sponsorship money being lost, addidas/ Nike kit deals are holding back because of no champions league. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something written in the Emirates deal about lack of champions league football impacting the level of money coming in. Stan does understand the value of a top kit deal, so this is something he'd want to change.
To say Stan is using Wenger to deflect attention away from him is diluting the situation. They are of the same age, and there is a way of behaving towards your boss, which Wenger shows. He's never criticised the board, always towed the corporate line. Not many managers do that anymore. It's old fashioned and no longer works in modern day football.
We've got in our squad two of the top 10 strikers in Europe, the most effective goal provider, one of the top 10 goalkeepers in Europe (believe it or not) but we don't have a coach to make it work.
Surely kit deals are based around how many shirts sell. Didn't United sign the adidas deal while they were not in the Champions League. Regardless of how bad we are on the pitch right now, Arsenal is still the brand with a huge fan base.
I agree that our reputation is going down hill fast but we are still the third biggest club in England.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Seeing how well the English teams in this years Champions League are doing also raises some questions. All those years we got past the group stage to be then beaten and in a few cases thrashed. I guess that means the foreign teams are missing us this season and are seen in Europe as an easy touch.

markyp

Post by markyp »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 am
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:46 pm
"Arsenal's 'catalyst of change', which is intended to prepare for life after Arsene Wenger, has received fresh impetus with Josh Kroenke, son of owner Stan, moving to London to conduct an in-depth review of all the club activities."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z57TH8r7X4
This is a joke, all of this 'change' should have happened years ago, the main reason why it will be such a huge shift now is because this situation has been allowed to fester by the Kroenke regime, now the brat son of Semen stain Stan is here to conduct a f*cking review?, oh great I feel better already.

:censored:
lets wait and see the outcome of Kreonke jnrs review before jumping to conclusions,the slide of the club had been a very slow one and barely noticeable to anybody outside Arsenal but now we are pretty much in free fall,maybe just maybe Kreonke jnr might suggest that we appoint a new manager?? its no good moaning when the club do nothing then moaning when it looks like they might do something or at least take a good look with a fresh pair of eyes,next we will be moaning that wenger has been sacked

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

markyp wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:16 am
sk-gtfo wrote:
"Arsenal's 'catalyst of change', which is intended to prepare for life after Arsene Wenger, has received fresh impetus with Josh Kroenke, son of owner Stan, moving to London to conduct an in-depth review of all the club activities."

This is a joke, all of this 'change' should have happened years ago, the main reason why it will be such a huge shift now is because this situation has been allowed to fester by the Kroenke regime, now the brat son of Semen stain Stan is here to conduct a f*cking review?, oh great I feel better already.

lets wait and see the outcome of Kreonke jnrs review before jumping to conclusions,the slide of the club had been a very slow one and barely noticeable to anybody outside Arsenal but now we are pretty much in free fall,maybe just maybe Kreonke jnr might suggest that we appoint a new manager?? its no good moaning when the club do nothing then moaning when it looks like they might do something or at least take a good look with a fresh pair of eyes,next we will be moaning that wenger has been sacked
if you are pinning your hopes on Josh Kroenke then forget it - he has no clue about football and I imagine he just wants to spend a couple of months in London.
his wikipedia page states that he enjoys reading Harry Potter and eating breakfast in McDonalds :roll:

General

Post by General »

markyp wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:

That's the reality. I don't think junior Wiggy needs to understand football in great detail, he just has to listen to the right people and make the correct decisions. He does strike me as a jumped up little boardroom pr1ck but we've allowed the club to fall into the hands of mercenaries with no understanding of football and we are where we are. As you say our decline has been slow and barely noticeable to anyone outside the club and for many years we benefitted from the misfortune of other teams. Even now there is still the danger of another mediocre season being conveniently masked by triumph in the caravan or Europa cup giving the fraud a free run at another futile league campaign. Chickens have come home to roost and sooner or later the hierarchy will be forced to make a decision on the manager.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

look at it from the view point of Josh Kroenke who knows nothing about football.

he sees Wenger reaching cup finals each season and tickets for all the matches at the Emirates are always sold.
why would he want to sack him?

title challenges will mean little to him, he probably prefers a day out at Wembley.

GTG

Post by GTG »

Lets be honest we can read what we like in Wiggy Jnr's little jolly to London but ultimately none of us have a clue what hes going to be doing, his reasons for doing it or what the outcomes will be so its pretty pointless debating it.

The only things we know with any certainty is Ivan is doing what he can around Wenger and that Wenger has every intention of seeing out his contract.

Everything else will happen when it happens.

Supporters could possibly influence the decision with some real protest and boycotts but we already know that isn't going to happen so basically we just have to sit back and hope that finally someone realises what the fuck is going on here and sends Wenger on his way.

markyp

Post by markyp »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am
markyp wrote:
sk-gtfo wrote:

if you are pinning your hopes on Josh Kroenke then forget it - he has no clue about football and I imagine he just wants to spend a couple of months in London.
his wikipedia page states that he enjoys reading Harry Potter and eating breakfast in McDonalds :roll:
so we might get some quidditch played at the emirates and a mcdonalds,its not all bad :barscarf:

General

Post by General »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm
look at it from the view point of Josh Kroenke who knows nothing about football.

he sees Wenger reaching cup finals each season and tickets for all the matches at the Emirates are always sold.

title challenges will mean little to him, he probably prefers a day out at Wembley.
As I said, he doesn’t have to be a football expert to make informed decisions. He’s likely been sent across the pond to act as daddy’ eyes and ears anyway.

Gazidis gets a look of criticism but he’s no idiot He knows there are some fundamental footballing issue at this club even if he won’t admit them publicly. He’s slowly chipped away at Wenger’s power base in a very calculated manner. It started with the acquisition of StatDNA and has now moved to the more serious matter of structural changes. Sanlehi and Mislintat are big players in the game, latter was wanted by Bayern, and more importantly report directly to Gazidis.

One thing the Kroenkes can’t ignore is financial decline coupled with damage to brand image. For the first time in a long while United have overtaken us in terms of gate receipts and we are going to take home less money this season.

Financially I’d argue we’ve hit the cliff and sooner or later our slow footballing decline will be replicated by financial downturn. We had to shift several players to fund Ozil’s new contract and also meet the club’s objective of reducing the wage bill. We hold less cash in the bank and our debts are slowly creeping up again.

Things are delicately balanced and there’s a strong chance Wenger goes this summer IMO. No smoke without fire and all these moves suggest a change in the old guard is imminent. One way or the other they would have to make some key decisions this summer and make them public. They’d be foolish to allow Wenger to enter into the final year of his contract with speculation around his future again. Of course there’s a chance they’d hand him an extension and carry on as usual but I think the evidence suggests otherwise.
Last edited by General on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General

Post by General »

GTG wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Supporters could possibly influence the decision with some real protest and boycotts but we already know that isn't going to happen so basically we just have to sit back and hope that finally someone realises what the fuck is going on here and sends Wenger on his way.
The timing of the protests is key and we are pretty much at the mercy of how our season plays out.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:33 am
Seeing how well the English teams in this years Champions League are doing also raises some questions. All those years we got past the group stage to be then beaten and in a few cases thrashed. I guess that means the foreign teams are missing us this season and are seen in Europe as an easy touch.
But look who kept beating us. Bayern Munich and Barcelona. Last year's 10-2 drubbing was the most embarrassing result in our history. When you think that two seasons earlier they knocked us out on goal difference. Tottenham haven't thrashed anyone, and it will be interesting to see how Chelsea fare against a strong Barcelona. It's staggering to think only 7 years ago we were beating probably the best Barcelona team.

General

Post by General »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:01 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:33 am
But look who kept beating us. Bayern Munich and Barcelona. Last year's 10-2 drubbing was the most embarrassing result in our history. When you think that two seasons earlier they knocked us out on goal difference. Tottenham haven't thrashed anyone, and it will be interesting to see how Chelsea fare against a strong Barcelona. It's staggering to think only 7 years ago we were beating probably the best Barcelona team.
Don't forget botched jobs against Monaco and AC Milan. Comprehensively beaten by both teams in the first leg.

Tactically, the English teams remaining in the competition are streets ahead of us and I doubt any of them would get embarrassed like the way we often have. We don't come back from 2-0 down at Juventus.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:22 pm

this is spot on and why we'll remain (in our eyes) a crappy club.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Kroenke junior is not here to do a Gap analysis or root and branch review on the footballing side. Anyone that believes that is deluded. My money is on him doing a profit maximisation review of the business and real estate side.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I don't know why people keep offering up Gazidis as the answer. He is part of the fucking problem. He is the ultimate company man willing to suck any dick to keep that big old wage rolling in. :roll: