THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
xisstential

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by xisstential »

Did really not expect today's win...but I loathe Chelsea so I am over the moon...... AND now WENGER..this is your cue, this is as good as it is EVER gonna get FUCK OFF!!

General

Post by General »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote::hmmthink: :roll:

Bit like the proverbial tap Hot and Cold tap..
Personally I feel let down by this group of Charlatans, paid huge sums and give the minimum at times...
Much as we all rightly blame Wenger for most of the clubs problems i think todays match shows what these players are capable of and therefore they must shoulder at least some of the blame for this season!
I fully agree and I will stop short of the "C" word and it has two vowels and four consonants....
Team reflects the manager.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

General wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Personally I feel let down by this group of Charlatans, paid huge sums and give the minimum at times...
Much as we all rightly blame Wenger for most of the clubs problems i think todays match shows what these players are capable of and therefore they must shoulder at least some of the blame for this season!
I fully agree and I will stop short of the "C" word and it has two vowels and four consonants....
And the common denominator is the term "Cheats"...

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Will not make a difference to whether he stays or goes.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Wengerballs wrote:The AKBs will be crowing loudly today repeating lord Wengers perennial claim that we are not far off from competing for the title with the addition of only a couple of quality new signings.

Our late season mini glorious run under the new defensive 3 CB formation with wins against man citeh, manure, and the glorious triumph today over the title winning chavs today will be heralded as a turning of the corner with every reason to think we can be title contenders next season.

Kroenke and the Board will believe the mere suggestion of not offering Wenger a new contract is madness, the unbalanced spoilt ravings of a whiney-assed disrespectful and ungrateful minority who have lost all perspective in an echo chamber of their own miserable negativity. This is how we are perceived.

The only question is whether Wenger has the stomach and balls to endure another season of prospective protests, abuse and boycotts.

I think he does have the stomach and will announce a new one year deal because he honestly believes the team will challenge for the title much more strongly next season with the shift to a back 3 proving so effective of late, and that flying higher in the table next season will significantly dissipate the protests.
Pretty much, winning the cup against Hull in 2014 got him off the hook and so has this, the FA cup is always coming to Wenger's rescue, fair play for a very good performance today but you can't help thinking how lucky we were with the previous rounds - beating two non-league clubs and then City hitting the post twice against us in the semi.

We'll get a yes man DOF to try and appease the fans and that will be about it, next season we'll probably finish 6th, especially if Sanchez goes, I don't want to be all doom & gloom but winning the cup is not the dawn of a new era, we've been here too many times before.

At least we can laugh at Chelsea for a day and Spurs for not winning anything, we've got to set our sights higher though, I can't see it under Kroenke.

herbert

Post by herbert »

What a man. 7 times 7 times Arsene Wenger 7 times 7 times we say :D
What ever happens on tuesday the man is an ARSENAL FC legend
and I wonder if the chavs still want him to stay :rubchin:

General

Post by General »

Allgunsblazin wrote:
General wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

And the common denominator is the term "Cheats"...
The blame ultimately lies with the cunnt in charge for consitently failing to prepare them and motivate them. Regardless this team is an imbalanced mess and over 38games it shows.

Clash

Post by Clash »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Wengerballs wrote:The AKBs will be crowing loudly today repeating lord Wengers perennial claim that we are not far off from competing for the title with the addition of only a couple of quality new signings.

Our late season mini glorious run under the new defensive 3 CB formation with wins against man citeh, manure, and the glorious triumph today over the title winning chavs today will be heralded as a turning of the corner with every reason to think we can be title contenders next season.

Kroenke and the Board will believe the mere suggestion of not offering Wenger a new contract is madness, the unbalanced spoilt ravings of a whiney-assed disrespectful and ungrateful minority who have lost all perspective in an echo chamber of their own miserable negativity. This is how we are perceived.

The only question is whether Wenger has the stomach and balls to endure another season of prospective protests, abuse and boycotts.

I think he does have the stomach and will announce a new one year deal because he honestly believes the team will challenge for the title much more strongly next season with the shift to a back 3 proving so effective of late, and that flying higher in the table next season will significantly dissipate the protests.
Pretty much, winning the cup against Hull in 2014 got him off the hook and so has this, the FA cup is always coming to Wenger's rescue, fair play for a very good performance today but you can't help thinking how lucky we were with the previous rounds - beating two non-league clubs and then City hitting the post twice against us in the semi.

We'll get a yes man DOF to try and appease the fans and that will be about it, next season we'll probably finish 6th, especially if Sanchez goes, I don't want to be all doom & gloom but winning the cup is not the dawn of a new era, we've been here too many times before.

At least we can laugh at Chelsea for a day and Spurs for not winning anything, we've got to set our sights higher though, I can't see it under Kroenke.
Both good posts from and Wengerballs.

Agree about the luck in the cup. And even today, despite being the better side from the start, we only scored after a clear handball was missed and then played it out against 10 men. I think we would have won anyway on this occasion but things do go for Wenger. As you say, the FA cup gets him off the hook.

Dreading the news this week because I really cannot handle another season of Wenger.

General

Post by General »

augie wrote:The way the c.unt talked on the pitch to bbc reporter tells me that he is not staying - bbc guy asked him how proud he is to be the first manager to win 7 fa cups, and he responded by saying that he is proud of that fact and proud of having gone a league season unbeaten. For me that is the kind of talk and reminiscing that a person does at the end and not when you are gonna be there another two years
I'm pretty sure when asked whether he'd like to stay, he said he's always made it clear how he felt or something along those lines, all finished off with a wry smile. He's been on a mission of self promotion for the past month and is not ready to let go. I hope the board see through the smokescreen and end this fucking charade. If there is one thing that irked me yesterday, its the free publicity given to that wig wearing cunnt in the pin stripped suit. He shows up for one fucking game of the season and suddenly he's all over the cameras. It looked like the dinosaur was trying to catch his eye during the celebrations to say' 'hey man look what I've delivered'. Something bizarre is going on behind the scenes. Also you have to love Gazidis wearing his scarf like to proper Gooner. The rest obviously didn't get the memo

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

This is how I feel.

Love it we beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final, and it was even great to see Wenger and Ramsey (under performers) get a win for once. Im happy for all players and Wenger, and Wenger becomes the most successful FA Cup manager in history - his 7 FA Cups will probably never be bettered, whilst the club goes to a record 13 FA Cups.

However, following the game, the cliche's of 'keep the players together' and 'progress' were being mentioned. I dont quite understand both statements, as Sanchez is almost certain to leave, whilst I dont know how Wenger is measuring progress. Both statements appear to be your standard cliche's Wenger uses. Its also becoming clear and apparent no lessons have been learnt, and Wenger thinks he can carry on exactly the same. He mentioned bringing in 'one or two players' which isnt anywhere near enough. Sanchez, Monreal, Ospina and Chamberlain are likely to leave. Mertesacker, Giroud, Coquelin must almost certainly be sold. I was expecting roughly 5 players to leave, and 7-8 come in. But you just know Wenger wants to double down in Giroud, Walcott, Coquelin ect

We won the FA Cup in 2014, and were told it was a platform to bigger and better things, yet in 2017 we are again being sold a vision of the future and 'progress' based on an FA Cup win. Although this time, we dont have CL football, whilst 5 other teams in our league do. When it comes to recruitment, there are 5 PL teams, two of which are in London, that can offer CL football. Its a dire position to be in.

So I just cannot fathom why some people are gullible and naive enough to take the bait again.

Herd

Post by Herd »

no time for worrying about TOF we have just pissed on chelsea and tottenhams chips.
just think about how the dogs of white hart lane are feeling today . Their best season in an age and they finish above but no trophy , us our worst in an age and we won the cup . aint life sweet . what power shift you caaaaaants.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Wilson wrote:This is how I feel.

Love it we beat Chelsea in the FA Cup final, and it was even great to see Wenger and Ramsey (under performers) get a win for once. Im happy for all players and Wenger, and Wenger becomes the most successful FA Cup manager in history - his 7 FA Cups will probably never be bettered, whilst the club goes to a record 13 FA Cups.

However, following the game, the cliche's of 'keep the players together' and 'progress' were being mentioned. I dont quite understand both statements, as Sanchez is almost certain to leave, whilst I dont know how Wenger is measuring progress. Both statements appear to be your standard cliche's Wenger uses. Its also becoming clear and apparent no lessons have been learnt, and Wenger thinks he can carry on exactly the same. He mentioned bringing in 'one or two players' which isnt anywhere near enough. Sanchez, Monreal, Ospina and Chamberlain are likely to leave. Mertesacker, Giroud, Coquelin must almost certainly be sold. I was expecting roughly 5 players to leave, and 7-8 come in. But you just know Wenger wants to double down in Giroud, Walcott, Coquelin ect

We won the FA Cup in 2014, and were told it was a platform to bigger and better things, yet in 2017 we are again being sold a vision of the future and 'progress' based on an FA Cup win. Although this time, we dont have CL football, whilst 5 other teams in our league do. When it comes to recruitment, there are 5 PL teams, two of which are in London, that can offer CL football. Its a dire position to be in.

So I just cannot fathom why some people are gullible and naive enough to take the bait again.
It's not bait, no one who before yesterday who was vehemently against Wenger remaining at the club has changed their minds. The fan base is still divided. When the "there's only one Arsene Wenger" chant started yesterday I would say about 50% of the fans didn't sing it at all.

I think you have to take a degree of pragmatism with the current state of affairs at Arsenal. As fans, despite the protests we have not in the numbers required put protests in that shake the foundations of the club or even come close to the door of silent stan. I hate to say this but the club can do what they want, cancel your season tickets/memberships etc etc, there are another 10 fans waiting to replace you. That is how things are at Arsenal these days.

So where do we go from here, well as a die hard Gooner yesterday reminded me of all of the good times that Wenger had provided us in the past. The most pleasing thing was the defensive solidity, with a make shift back 5. If we actually strengthen in those areas then surely our league position can only improve.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Wenger's time has come at the club. He is 67, been found out too much over the last 5 years in particular. However, I want an orderly transition to the next management. If we can't attract the likes of Allegri or Simeone there needs to be a succession plan in place. Perhaps to bring in someone like TH14 under some sort of stewardship, then to let him be his own man with coaches such as Keown looking after the defence.

Surely, it would take the most bitter Gooner to deny Wenger his plaudits for yesterdays victory. We bossed the league champions and should have been out of sight long before their equaliser. We need to translate these sorts of performances into more consistency in the league. I have been thoroughly depressed with all things Arsenal this season, but yesterday I was happy as where thousands of Gooners at Wembley. No point in denying emotions all of us must have felt. Covering it up just to prove a point does no one any favours.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

As I suspected might be the case, the cup final build up was used to eulogise our Lord and Master, and endless references made to the "lack of respect", "society" etc with regard to everyone who has protested being held up as some sort of moron. The interview with Jonathan Pearce - FFS, Jonathan have you joined the Paddy Barclay/John Cross school of brown nosing. I thought there was going to be some sort of ceremonial passing of the handkerchief at one point when they spoke about the 'disgraceful' treatment he'd received this year

Listen to managers like Conte and Guardiola.....or any foreign manager who has spent most of his life working outside these shores.....even Maureen FFS, Why do they like it here? Because actually compared to sections of support in Spain and Italy, our fans and media are far far more patient and respectful. Pep openly admits in Spain he'd be sacked by now, whilst Barcelona and Real Madrid regularly get out the white hankies and sack any manager who finishes 2nd. By the way, I'm not saying that's the right way, but to suggest he's been treated disgracefully here where for the first time in 20 odd years he's been put under some sort of pressure......unbelievable

He gets paid the sort of salary that any politician or even CEO of a FTSE 100 company would dream of. Look what happens to them on social media and the written press if there's some sort of political or corporate scandal, or even if they make a misjudgement or take a U-turn (Diane Abbott, Teresa May). They get absolutely slaughtered for weeks on end......where as what does he get? £8m a year and a few banners......whoopee doo.....my fucking heart bleeds. I honestly think for his own sanity he should move on, invent the time machine (after all I heard him referred to as The Professor on multiple occasions yesterday) and go back to the late-90s before the invention of social media and where he had a free crack at all the French players before the rest of the football world woke up

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

Think he will be offered a new two year contract like the Phoenix rising from the Ashes he has pulled it off with a trophy beating the League Champions and stopping them from winning the coveted double...
Arsene Wenger will be leading them out at the Charity Shield and dare I say it the club may get a serious challenge in for the Europa League....

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:As I suspected might be the case, the cup final build up was used to eulogise our Lord and Master, and endless references made to the "lack of respect", "society" etc with regard to everyone who has protested being held up as some sort of moron. The interview with Jonathan Pearce - FFS, Jonathan have you joined the Paddy Barclay/John Cross school of brown nosing. I thought there was going to be some sort of ceremonial passing of the handkerchief at one point when they spoke about the 'disgraceful' treatment he'd received this year

Listen to managers like Conte and Guardiola.....or any foreign manager who has spent most of his life working outside these shores.....even Maureen FFS, Why do they like it here? Because actually compared to sections of support in Spain and Italy, our fans and media are far far more patient and respectful. Pep openly admits in Spain he'd be sacked by now, whilst Barcelona and Real Madrid regularly get out the white hankies and sack any manager who finishes 2nd. By the way, I'm not saying that's the right way, but to suggest he's been treated disgracefully here where for the first time in 20 odd years he's been put under some sort of pressure......unbelievable

He gets paid the sort of salary that any politician or even CEO of a FTSE 100 company would dream of. Look what happens to them on social media and the written press if there's some sort of political or corporate scandal, or even if they make a misjudgement or take a U-turn (Diane Abbott, Teresa May). They get absolutely slaughtered for weeks on end......where as what does he get? £8m a year and a few banners......whoopee doo.....my fucking heart bleeds. I honestly think for his own sanity he should move on, invent the time machine (after all I heard him referred to as The Professor on multiple occasions yesterday) and go back to the late-90s before the invention of social media and where he had a free crack at all the French players before the rest of the football world woke up
Great post mate.

That interview with Pearce was nauseating. Particualrly when it kept cutting to a shot of ''JP'' (hate him being referred to as that :roll: ) nodding along respectively and with a smugness that suggests he thinks him and Arsene are on some different level to most of us.