THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: THE WENGER THREAD

Post by StuartL »

wibble wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Allgunsblazin wrote::hmmthink: :roll:

Bit like the proverbial tap Hot and Cold tap..
Personally I feel let down by this group of Charlatans, paid huge sums and give the minimum at times...
Much as we all rightly blame Wenger for most of the clubs problems i think todays match shows what these players are capable of and therefore they must shoulder at least some of the blame for this season!
I fully agree and I will stop short of the "C" word and it has two vowels and four consonants....
Cook ? :evil:
Only 2 consonants!

Cabins? Counts? Oh.. coward?
Sorry, I often end up distracted when countdown is on.

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Great moment for all of Arsenal. Yet Wenger uses it to take a shot at the criticism he has received.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

It would be the perfect time for him to leave. Do the descent thing.

General

Post by General »

I know this is being hailed as a great performance but for me it exposed the good and bad once again under Wenger. We started brilliantly and rightly took the lead, it should've been at least 2-0 at half time. Chelsea then returned the stronger team in the second half and we started giving the ball away carelessly at the back. Moses then gets his marching orders just as chavs were starting to put us under real pressure and we got off the hook.

Instead of finishing them off our players switched off and got complacent in typical Wenger fashion. Lo and behold we let them back in with a cheap goal. A goal Ospina should've saved and frankly you can just picture the stories had we not won. Luckily we opened them up and took the lead almost immediately.

The game became stretched, Wenger is never one to batten down the hatches and close down a game and despite the chavs tiring Costa forces Ospina into a good save. The closing and marking was non existent and the top teams punish you. For me it's these small details that turn a good team into a great team and the occasional great performance into the norm. When you win no one mentions them and they are brushed under the carpet.

Had we been the team playing with ten men, we almost certainly would've been hammered. The whole game reminded me of the semi final against United at Old trapdoor 2years ago when Di Maria got sent off and we limped to a win which marked another false dawn.

Beating the chavs is always a pleasure and I'm not about to deny the players the credit they deserve. I tend to think the 3-0 win earlier in the season was a more accomplished performance but then again this was a cup final under different circumstances so credit where it's due. If Wenger magically discovers any post match self awareness and can put his self interest and bus size ego to one side, he'd walk. This is as good as it's ever going to get and we knew this 3years ago.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

He says the decision should be based on competency and not popularity.
On that basis turn the light off on your way out old chap!!

Clash

Post by Clash »

Eboue-Why? wrote:He says the decision should be based on competency and not popularity.
That comment disgusted me because what Wenger is really saying is ''don't listen to the fans, they don't know what they are talking about''.

Firstly, in football, the popular decision is the right decision because the aim should be to please the fans. Secondly, Wenger has got wrapped up in this idea that the club is his and only he knows whats best for it.

He ignores the fact that getting rid of him is popular BECAUSE it is the best and most competent decision the club can make. Fans almost always know what is best.

Those who want a leech like Kroenke out know whats best. But Wenger defended him. Any fans that want Wenger to stay are not basing their choice on football reasons.

I see Wenger also made some sarcastic comment about allowing robots running football in future because too many people these days make decisions based on stats. The fucking cheek of the man!!! The man who makes pre-planned 70th minute subs based on stats. The man fobs us off with bullshit about Denilson's pass completion and labels an embecile like Eboue as the ''pass master'' :roll:

Please fuck off Wenger.

General

Post by General »

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Eboue-Why? wrote:He says the decision should be based on competency and not popularity.
Competency to do what exactly though?, competency to win the top 4 trophy?, that is the problem - we set our sights low because Kroenke is not ambitious and Wenger is the company man who plays along with it claiming how great he is along the way, which is why he's not especially popular anymore.

:roll:

General

Post by General »

If there is one thing the wing wearing coont cares about it's brand image and the protests have truly set the cat amongst the pigeons. They don't want to spend the next year or two under these dark clouds and for me it almost makes Wenger's position untenable. Handing him a new contract is just delaying the inevitable.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

General wrote:If there is one thing the wing wearing coont cares about it's brand image and the protests have truly set the cat amongst the pigeons. They don't want to spend the next year or two under these dark clouds and for me it almost makes Wenger's position untenable. Handing him a new contract is just delaying the inevitable.
Don't think he gives a toss, we make money and that is all that matters to him, he's not the worst type of owner but he's only one step away from it. I'm sure this cup win will convince him Wenger is the man to continue, an FA cup or League cup every few years is about the level of his ambition.

It's why I don't go to games any more, I am not paying a fortune in travel and tickets to see a team that has no real intent to try and win the biggest trophies, in fact our tickets even with reductions for next season, should really be at least 50% cheaper again to reflect the limited ambition of the club (owner/manager).

Clash

Post by Clash »

General wrote:If there is one thing the wing wearing coont cares about it's brand image and the protests have truly set the cat amongst the pigeons. They don't want to spend the next year or two under these dark clouds and for me it almost makes Wenger's position untenable. Handing him a new contract is just delaying the inevitable.
But Wenger disgracefully accuses the fans protesting against him as damaging Arsenal's impeccable reputation'' :roll:

So losing 10-2 on aggregate doesn't damage the clubs reputation ?

Wenger says its not about him but about the club ... then said he thinks its a disgrace that human is treated in a way that no human being should be treated. So it is about him then? Or is the club a human being? :roll:

Maybe if Wenger is such a humanitarian he should apologise to the referee he said he was ''revolted'' by in the Bayern 2nd leg. But that would mean Wenger showing some human traits he doesnt possess like humility.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Clash wrote:
But Wenger disgracefully accuses the fans protesting against him as damaging Arsenal's impeccable reputation'' :roll:

Wenger says its not about him but about the club ... then said he thinks its a disgrace that human is treated in a way that no human being should be treated. So it is about him then? Or is the club a human being? :roll:

Maybe if Wenger is such a humanitarian he should apologise to the referee he said he was ''revolted'' by in the Bayern 2nd leg. But that would mean Wenger showing some human traits he doesnt possess like humility.
Mate your last two posts suggest you as many others on this forum have an agenda, rather than can really accept we played pretty well yesterday deserving to win the game by more than the 2-1 scoreline. I am an Arsenal fan first, forget about the politics of the club, the manager the owner. On a purely footballing level yesterday Arsenal turned up big time and made a lot of us happy.

Now what happens in the future who knows, but for just this short period of time can we just enjoy the fact that not only did we stop chelski from securing the double, but we also ended up having a better season than our illustrious neighbours despite being shit for large parts of it.

And before you say anything I am not an AKB, I just want to enjoy this weekend no harm in that ehhh!!!

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Look he has won us the FA Cup and we are also in the Europa League next season , so let's give him at least one more season to see where it takes us..

Said absolutely no Manchester United fans last May...

EastupperA

Post by EastupperA »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Clash wrote:

Mate your last two posts suggest you as many others on this forum have an agenda, rather than can really accept we played pretty well yesterday deserving to win the game by more than the 2-1 scoreline. I am an Arsenal fan first, forget about the politics of the club, the manager the owner. On a purely footballing level yesterday Arsenal turned up big time and made a lot of us happy.

Now what happens in the future who knows, but for just this short period of time can we just enjoy the fact that not only did we stop chelski from securing the double, but we also ended up having a better season than our illustrious neighbours despite being shit for large parts of it.

And before you say anything I am not an AKB, I just want to enjoy this weekend no harm in that ehhh!!!
This is a Wenger thread not a didn't we play well yesterday thread, although in fairness I think we did. The point is Wenger took the opportunity to slag the fans off and talk about being treated disgracefully and doing things the Arsenal way yesterday, not just saying yes we played well and isn't that great....in any case what is the arsenal away....it never really existed from us buying the league with David Jack in the 1930's...incidentally the last time we broke the transfer record, to George and his bungs or Wenger and his paying diaby etc millions for nothing....Im not sure what the fuck People think is the Arsenal way???

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Herd wrote:no time for worrying about TOF we have just pissed on chelsea and tottenhams chips.
just think about how the dogs of white hart lane are feeling today . Their best season in an age and they finish above but no trophy , us our worst in an age and we won the cup . aint life sweet . what power shift you caaaaaants.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :high5: