THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Brady's left peg

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by Brady's left peg »

SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote: I said I was prepared to upgrade the cut of steak and chuck in a venison burger would that help mate?
Only Ivan Gazidis's bollocks on a skewer could lighten my mood SteveO, I'm fucking apoplectic right now :evil:

Same as that - I hoped against hope that arsole would fcuk off this summer but once he didnt go in the days after the season ended then I knew that we were stuck with him for another 12 months :cry: :cry: :cry:
However I have to say, that for all the jesting about steve's ficticious BBQ, I really expected him to fcuk off next summer and now that this story has surfaced I am losing the will to live. Giving the c**t a new contract not only consigns us to more years of decline but it also sends out the message loud and clear that finishing 4th and going nowhere in the cups constitutes a successful season within our club :oops: :oops: I eagerly look forward to the day next season that the fans absolutely lambast and ridicule him publicly at the grove and when that happens it will be long overdue. I really believe that will really happen and personally I would rather it happened in the first few weeks of the season as opposed to midway through the league by which time we will havemeekly surrendered yet again and have nothing but the vt 4th place trophy to play for
Augie - distance your own feelings from the decision (as I have ever since the Yank took over) and look at it through Kroenke's eyes.......which is why I have known all along this day would come, even more so with the virtual trophy in the bag once more

Kroenke bought the club. He has a manager quite prepared to sell its best players for a profit every season and deliver him a 4th place finish and CL football. Winning the league might take another £80m of investment. The difference between 1st and 4th in prize money terms is about £2.5m. He still sells out the ground every week (even if bums aren't on seats, most of the time its ST holders that have paid anyway). Wenger staying for another 3 years will earn Kroenke probably £80m-£120m of profit that any ambitious manager would not deliver for him. By that time all of the debt will be repaid and he will be free to sell Arsenal to the next high wealth individual.

Kroenke is the death of the club. Gazidis is his paid executioner and Wenger the willing assistant. This will be the case until 2017 at the earliest

BBQ or not, it is absolutely inevitable that Wenger will stay beyond 2014 and even more inevitable is the fact the tourist fan base of 2017 will still demand more of that 'matchday experience' at the Bowl.

Failing to qualify for that fucking horrible competition is what is required and for more than one season

Kroenke cares about one thing - money. If Wenger makes more of it, he stays. If he doesn't and impairs his investment he might not.
And the award for top post of the day goes to.......... SteveO. :barscarf: Oh and here's your virtual trophy.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

The day he signs a new contract will be the day when hope officially ends.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

donaldo wrote:
So fucking lower prices to £10 a game and pay the players £5k a week if we are not even trying to win trophies

I went to Arsenal in the 70's and 80's when we were shit and we knew it but football has changed you cant compete while bringing shit players.You need to spend money on quality.Remind me again why we built the Emershites?.Oh yeah to compete what a fucking joke.To compete with a club whose wage bill is £50m below ours.When we celebrate 4th place you know the ambitions of the club
The lack of boycotts and protests have brought this new contract to Wenger.The fans who turn up and take the Wenger/Gazidis bullshit only have themselves to blame
At least i can say the season coming up with be the 5th season the club will not be getting a penny of my money
The last season the club got any money from me was 2008-09, the Manc Agent Silvestre game, it's aways & Europe for me, fuck of Gazidis, Kroenke, Hillwood & a special mention for the greedy hypocrite *word censored* that is Wenger!!! :banghead:

Arsenal fan since 1969 before any AKB *word censored* calls me a traitor!!! :box:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

Top rated post from Daily Mail article regarding a new contract for Wenger.

"Eight years, no trophies" 16.5 Years, 3 premier league titles, 3 FA Cups, 3 Community Shield Trophies, one season unbeaten, 49 games unbeaten, 17 years in a row in the champions league, Emirates Stadium, Thierry Henry, and all on a net spend of approx. £1 million. One Arsene Wenger.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... w-Arsenal-

ho-hum. :cussing:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

You don't steer a ship by looking behind you.
The question shouldn't be 'what have we achieved in the past?', it should be about our current direction of travel, which is not one of progress.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

GranadaJoe wrote:You don't steer a ship by looking behind you.
The question shouldn't be 'what have we achieved in the past?', it should be about our current direction of travel, which is not one of progress.
Spot on,weve been going sideways and backwards since 06

Kieranp97

Post by Kieranp97 »

Got such a bad feeling we'll finish below Sp*rs Scum next season, We lack ambition by not spending money and at least trying to win trophies.

We shouldve won the cup double last season but Wenger F*cked up for us again. It's insanity, what other club in the world at our level would keep their manager after 8 trophiless years. None.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I find it staggering that the vast majority of Arsenal fans are complicit to the status quo being maintained at the club. No wonder we are treated with mediocrity and contempt by those in charge when so many are content to accept it. Shame on all of those brain washed fools, this is the Arsenal you deserve. :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Just red this on BBC's website (Sports)

"Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis says the club are ready to "escalate" their spending next season.

Asked whether Arsenal could afford to spend a £20m transfer fee on a single player, and offer salaries of £200,000 per week, he said: "Of course we could do that. We could do more than that."

But he warned that boss Arsene Wenger, who Gazidis says will stay "long term", will not necessarily spend such money. "It is going to be the players that Arsene believes in," Gazidis said.

"He is pretty blind to price tags, he looks at what he sees with his eyes and makes judgements based on that, not on reputations and prices."

So:

a) He's going to extend his contract
b) He is NOT going to spend properly this season Again!(ie: get any decent players in, but the usual Lidl rejects like Gervinho and Squillaci etc) no yet again his hand puppet Gazidis says He will spend when he see's fit...which is never because he keeps looking in the basement leagues where all he will find is basement talent. All those years we Gooners have had to endure other fans and pundits make fun of his 'Blinkeredness' and it seems they were right the whole time... :banghead: :cry: :evil:

So those of us who hoped he might be leaving soon have been Royally Rogered....How long must we suffer at the hands of this fool!?

May as well have a BBQ and get shytefaced.

:cry: :cry: :banghead: :banghead: :cry: :cry: :suicide:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

OneBardGooner wrote:Just red this on BBC's website (Sports)

"Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis says the club are ready to "escalate" their spending next season.

Asked whether Arsenal could afford to spend a £20m transfer fee on a single player, and offer salaries of £200,000 per week, he said: "Of course we could do that. We could do more than that."

But he warned that boss Arsene Wenger, who Gazidis says will stay "long term", will not necessarily spend such money. "It is going to be the players that Arsene believes in," Gazidis said.

"He is pretty blind to price tags, he looks at what he sees with his eyes and makes judgements based on that, not on reputations and prices."

So:

b) He is NOT going to spend properly this season Again!(ie: get any decent players in, but the usual Lidl rejects like Gervinho and Squillaci etc) no yet again his hand puppet Gazidis says He will spend when he see's fit...which is never because he keeps looking in the basement leagues where all he will find is basement talent. All those years we Gooners have had to endure other fans and pundits make fun of his 'Blinkeredness' and it seems they were right the whole time... :banghead: :cry: :evil:

So those of us who hoped he might be leaving soon have been Royally Rogered....How long must we suffer at the hands of this fool!?

The more the merrier ! I'll get an extra Calor gas bottle

ONE ARSENE WENGER......THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

How exciting when Gazidis says he thinks he'll be here for the long term !!

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:Just red this on BBC's website (Sports)

So:

The more the merrier ! I'll get an extra Calor gas bottle

ONE ARSENE WENGER......THERE'S ONLY ONE ARSENE WENGER :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

How exciting when Gazidis says he thinks he'll be here for the long term !!
You mean it's not a proper charcoal BBQ? Fuck that! :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Chippy wrote: You mean it's not a proper charcoal BBQ? Fuck that! :wink:
1 year contract extension = a simple gas BBQ, a few bangers and burgers and bring your own booze
2 year extension = upgrade on the food quality, I luv AW T-shirts, Away Boyz live performance, 2 free drinks of your choice

3 year extension or higher = prime quality Aberdeen Angus, an official opening ceremony with guest of honour Patrick Barclay followed by a Real Fans Have Real Patience celebration march down the Holloway Road, camping on my back lawn watching Fever Pitch all night. Grade A admission price of £62, backstage VIP passes to meet the Away Boyz, full Arsenalization of the garden, AW's Biggest Fan competition hosted by Rodders and Donaldo, unlimited champagne courtesy of the Diamond Club and full firework display to close the evening with a no-expense-spared illumination bearing the words "Be Careful What You Wish For". A celebration video of 17 years consecutive qualification for the CL will be running in the background and a big box of Kleenex will be on hand for those too overwhelmed with excitement

Look forward to seeing you all there

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
1 year contract extension = a simple gas BBQ, a few bangers and burgers and bring your own booze
2 year extension = upgrade on the food quality, I luv AW T-shirts, Away Boyz live performance, 2 free drinks of your choice

3 year extension or higher = prime quality Aberdeen Angus, an official opening ceremony with guest of honour Patrick Barclay followed by a Real Fans Have Real Patience celebration march down the Holloway Road, camping on my back lawn watching Fever Pitch all night. Grade A admission price of £62, backstage VIP passes to meet the Away Boyz, full Arsenalization of the garden, AW's Biggest Fan competition hosted by Rodders and Donaldo, unlimited champagne courtesy of the Diamond Club and full firework display to close the evening with a no-expense-spared illumination bearing the words "Be Careful What You Wish For". A celebration video of 17 years consecutive qualification for the CL will be running in the background and a big box of Kleenex will be on hand for those too overwhelmed with excitement

:lol: :lol:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Quality. :D

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

SteveO 35 wrote:

Quality SteveO, but can you pull out all the stops to get Tom Watt to compere the event please and a live link to the Arsenal fan in India who knows the words to the songs but not the tunes.