Arsenal v Sunderland match thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Arsenal v Sunderland match thread

Post by Chippy »

First of the season. Knock yourselves out. I'm just hoping for a fairly comfortable 3 points and some evidence that the defence has done some training. Can't for the life of me work out what will be AW's preferred line up. :? :? :?

Metalheadz Gooner

Re: Arsenal v Sunderland match thread

Post by Metalheadz Gooner »

3-0 to the Arsenal :barscarf:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

chamberlain surely has to start. kos and tv nailed on cb partnership. hopefully arteta to be fit, poldi up front, hopefully gerinho and theo won't start.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Very tight match one goal in it...if it was at their place I'd say 1-0 or 1-1

But we are hosts so I say 2-1 with both goals coming from unlikely players

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

4-0 Arsenal. :barscarf:
I think this is an ideal start for us, Sunderland are going to really struggle this year imo. We've got some much tougher games coming up

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Im over for this 1.Going to go 3-1 to us.Great to have the match threads up and running again. :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

We're looking very good at the moment. Expect a comfortable win.

REB

Post by REB »

we will win 3-0 and

all will be rosy in wengers garden once more :mrgreen:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Seeing as the new season is just week away,i wonder will Baba be making a reappearance :)

k1tsun3

Post by k1tsun3 »

I'm looking forward to seeing the starting XI for this. I hope our players click the way they did today! If they do, then it'll be a brilliant match that will give us 3 points and a nice start on our GD.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Im on for a 3-1 win and a welcome back to this sort of thread !

goonswede

Post by goonswede »

2-1 with Pod scoring a brace. :barscarf:

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

We normally do okay(ish) against the Arsenal but you'll destroy us this time. You can't read much into pre season but all the problems we had at the end of last season have continued, we've won one pre season game (in the last minute) and managed defeats against a South Korean side, against Leicester and against Hartlepool. We currently have Ji, Campbell and Wickham as our striking options so we won't score and Sessegnon hasn't played a minute of pre season so won't be fit and will probably be out injured anyway. Typically whilst you lot might be losing Van Persie, he'll no doubt still be able to play on Saturday and typically even though we might be getting Steven Fletcher (who will do a good job for us) and maybe even Defoe (if Spurs get a couple of strikers in), neither will be likely to be in place in time.

So I'll probably go for a 3-0 Arsenal win, your defence is get-at-able (if thats a word) but, well, not with our "strike force" and midfield. Still, Arsenal away is always a cracking day out, I'll be in London from about 8:30 and will then be staying the night so I'm sure I'll have a good laugh and a bit craic on with the gooners as always. You never know, we might pack the defence and sneak a draw (we won't) but I'm not holding out any hope- still, hopefully luck deserts you in droves on Saturday and then comes back after the match to let you have a good season and a long overdue title challenge, best of luck for the season lads.

Oh, and just to fill you with dread, this is our likely lineup

Mignolet
Bardsley Cuellar O'Shea Richardson
Larsson Cattermole Colback McClean
Ji
Wickham

I'll bet you're shaking in your boots :(

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

I still dont get the optimism - we don't even know who the Arsenal captain will be next week, it is shambolic.

I will settle for a 1-1 draw. I suppose a win is possible but only because Sunderland look to have one of the poorest teams in the PL this season.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

The Ox has pulled out of the England squad with an ankle injury, hopefully he's just skipping a friendly but guess he'll be at least doubtful for this game, I wonder how many more injuries we'll pick up before Saturday :banghead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19238374