Aaron Ramsey - statistics and form etc.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Eboue-Why?

Aaron Ramsey

Post by Eboue-Why? »

This lad keeps popping up on various threads with opinion divided so I thought I'd get one going solely to discuss him.
I think we'd all agree that when he was at Cardiff he was a talent that a lot of clubs wanted. We got him and then the animal Shawcross did his best to end the lad's career. It was a long hard road back and I for one thought he might go the same was as Eduardo in terms of the mental affect of the injury. However from that point of view I can't see any lasting problems.
He hasn't been good this season and my belief is that in some way this may be down to Wenger's belief in players expressing themselves in that he takes it a bit too far with his flicks and fancy passes. For his country you really see him stand out and in time that will happen at Arsenal. For me he has shown enough since he's been with us for me to believe that we should continue to keep faith with him because for a 21 year old he has got bags of time to adjust his game and cut out the silly stuff. He can dribble and has the ability to turn away from opponents quickly to create space and then all he needs to do is start using the ball more intelligently.
OK you might point to the last minute against Citeh and that dreadful example of being greedy but I think he's so desperate for a goal that it's affecting his game. Again, last night's close range shot should have gone in and I think that would help him enormously.
I might be labelled now as the new SteveO given his similar views on Mr Diaby but I'm a fan of Ramsey and believe that given a bit of time and patience he will become a valuable member of the squad. It's far too early for people to be calling him crap/rubbish etc and suggesting he should be ditched.
Have a bit more faith in the lad, he'll come good.

Henry Norris 1913

Re: Aaron Ramsey

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

he needs a CM that will dominate the midfield every match, someone like Cesc. thats what he had around 2009 when he really broke into the team and now he doesn't.

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

Love this kid.

He has a great future
He will play 400+ times for Arsenal
He will score many goals
He will be a fine member of a trophy laden winning squad for years to come

He is young
He has recovered from an atrocious injury

We need to support him and back him and let him develop into the player we all know deep down will be magnificent.

Last night he covered acres of space and but for a wee bit of luck would have scored. Lay off him, he is one of our British core and I think knocking him is wrong.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

I think the jury's out on the kid. I had high hopes when he first broke into the team but since his leg was demolished I think he's regressed.

I'm still optimistic for his long term future but right now he seems to slow the game down and he couldn't finsh a book at the moment either. We'll know for sure in the next two years if he'll develop as we hope.

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:Love this kid.

He has a great future
He will play 400+ times for Arsenal
He will score many goals
He will be a fine member of a trophy laden winning squad for years to come

He is young
He has recovered from an atrocious injury

We need to support him and back him and let him develop into the player we all know deep down will be magnificent.

Last night he covered acres of space and but for a wee bit of luck would have scored. Lay off him, he is one of our British core and I think knocking him is wrong.
This.

I think people are looking too hard at him since his injury. Everyone said "he'll never be the same player again", "he'll be the next Eduardo" etc, and it's as if people expect him to never get any better at football. He's 20 years old FFS and already the captain of his country. That has to show something about his character. That twat Bale that everyone is on about isn't the country's captain, is he?

He's had a rough latter half of the season. He started brightly, but exhaustion caught up to him and his performance dipped midway through. That performance dip has left him unconfident and in the meantime Rosicky and others have stepped up, which is making it tough on Rambo. That lack of finish was clear evidence that he's too tense and overthinking things.

Give him the summer off and he'll come back a greatly improved player for next season - just as he improved last summer. Him and Wilshere can grow together and dominate the centre of the park in a few years. Believe it.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Never seen him have a good game for us, pre or post leg break. Out of his depth in premiership, a championship player as seen when he played on loan at Cardiff. I would welcome his departure in the summer, can't see it though.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

I am happy to give him more time he is only 20 and has had a horrific leg break but i agree with Sid i havent see play well for a whole game very often

arsenalmorris

Post by arsenalmorris »

i am on the fence with him,

i used to think he had good vision and would be a natural replacment for cesc but he has failed to live upto that,

as mentioned he has also had a terrible injury and is only 21 so will see what happens in the next few seasons

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Difficult season back after injury.

I think he is hampered by not really having a natural position in our current line up.
He looks something of a mix between a 4-4-2 box to box player and a half striker but not really fixed into either role.

BUT

He does get into good positions, just fails to make the best of them.

If his confidence picks up he may make the best of them.

See what happens next season.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

goonersid wrote:Never seen him have a good game for us, pre or post leg break. Out of his depth in premiership, a championship player as seen when he played on loan at Cardiff. I would welcome his departure in the summer, can't see it though.
Jesus Sidney, I know we're all entitled to an opinion but that seems incredibly harsh. You really think that a player that can dominate games so much when playing and captaining his country is Championship level? You really haven't seem glimpses of what might be in a couple of years time when he's played for us? All I'm saying is give the boy time, it's far to early to judge and just mad to say sell him now.

You're a tough man to please!

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I think he has potential but, having been average earlier in the season, he's been poor of late. I thought he was poor throughout the Wolves game, both in the centre of the pitch and when he got further forward. I'm hopeful that he will develop and I have no gripe with him because he does put a shift in (though he does fail to track runners, is often slow in possession and is trying too hard to be Zidane). My gripe is with AW for playing him recently when there have been better options available.

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

total madness to judge him on one full season of football, lets judge him in 2 or 3 years time - give the lad a chance :banghead: :banghead:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

I think young Aaron possesses a lot of talent, has a great work ethic but right now his final pass / shot is missing.

Possibly he is trying too hard or going for the killer pass when he could play a simpler one.

He has been played by Wenger through a period when his form hasn't been good, perhaps in an attempt to play him out of the bad run ? That is Wenger's fault not Aaron's.

OX makes a lot of mistakes too - he will over dribble at times and lose the ball, when after beating a man or two he should then release it, make a run and look for the return, but his errors get overlooked (which is fine, as it should be)

Ramsey is still very young, he isn't Cesc or Jack and can't boss the midfield on his own but he still has a hell of a lot to offer us in the years to come.

Keep the faith he will come good.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Give the boy a chance. He can do it - the start of the season he carried the midfield whilst others were underperforming.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I'm probably his biggest hater and I won't back down from it, and probably never will, unless he starts playing like he belongs at a club the quality of Arsenal. For me right now, he belongs at West Brom. He is the Welsh equivalent of Denilson. He passes sideways and backwards 95% of the time. He slows down our play so much that we cannot seem to get anything going. Compare that to when Rosicky plays in the same position and we move 100x faster and more direct. When Ramsey plays it seems like RVP is so isolated up front, but not when TR7 plays. Unless Song is creating, we are terribly stale with Ramsey.

It is no wonder that our winning streak started with Ramsey got injured and Rosicky came into the team in his natural position. I admit before his injury I saw glimpses of a good player. But that was a long time ago now and he's had plenty of time in the first team to show SOMETHING. He doesnt get back like Rosicky does and put in a good tackle, and his flicks and shit are just annoying.

And dont tell me age is an excuse because Wilshire is younger and miles better.

And I'll add to that, that OX can play the CAM role much much better than Ramsey ever could. He gets back and puts in a tackle, then gets the team moving FORWARD, not sideways/slowly.