26 May 1989

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: 26 May 1989

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Ooooooh - Steve Bould's header has just been cleared off the line.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:Ooooooh - Steve Bould's header has just been cleared off the line.
it's not gonna be our night :( if only we'd done the business against Norwich and Wimbledon :banghead:

Bunting14

Post by Bunting14 »

I was resigned to us finishing second and watched the first half on TV without any particular emotion. Then Smudger scored and I suddenly felt really ill. When Thomas had that chance I was in such a state I took the dog out for a walk as I couldn't bear it any more. So I missed the goal and when I turned the tv on Tony Adams was lifting the trophy

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Greatest night of my life :barscarf:

Got into the ground late due to roadworks on the motorways (despite a delayed kick off) missed the Bouldy chance.

Superb away support including a classis halftime rendition of maybe its because I'm a Londoner.

Can see myself on the match video, just before h/t with my St George's flag r/h side of goal, in row 2 8) 8)

Said to my mate Lee " we are going to fucking do it" at 1-0, then Micky blew a glorious chance.......

Have just watched Fever Pitch to reminice ........somnewhat poetic justice..."Oh shut up, Pleat" :lol:

Ws the first coach back to Highbury (coach 16) where we were treated like conquering hero's by the partying Gooners still there in the early hours of the morning - we had an impromptu conga through the coach and out of the emergency exit.

Just wish mobile phones / video camera's were about back then, would have some priceless footage......but I did write an account into the gooner lettes page that summer :D

Jumpers For Goalposts

Brilliant story Stuart!!

And by the way - Smithy has just scored :barscarf:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

g88ner wrote:
Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:Ooooooh - Steve Bould's header has just been cleared off the line.
it's not gonna be our night :( if only we'd done the business against Norwich and Wimbledon :banghead:
:roll: Was Derby and Wimbledon :banghead:

:wink:

(we did draw 0-0 with Norwich earlier in the season with Marwood missing a retaken penalty though)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:Brilliant story Stuart!!

And by the way - Smithy has just scored :barscarf:
Is that it?

1-0 full time? :x - gutted, but in a way it's somewhat poetic justice that we have got a result on the last day even though we're not going to win it. :|

Oh and sorry Flash- Derby, not Norwich :oops: (I live in Derby too :? )

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Radio commentary of THAT moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM2FLrlnNMc

I used to listen to so many Arsenal games on the radio down the years, but it's always tv or streams these days.

I obviously prefer watching, but there's something magical about radio and holding your breath as the commentator tells you a player in through on goal... eagerly waiting for the sound of celebration from the fans in the ground.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Sadly that was it. Times have changed for me - I've got 2 young children now so I couldn't follow the countdown to Mickey's goal like I always used to. I was sat on my son's bed doing bedtime stories and running into my baby daughter's room cos she wouldn't stop crying.

Nothing could serve as a better reminder of how much time has passed since that incredible night but the memory of it will NEVER fade :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
"The Liverpool players are down, absolutely abject!
Aldridge is down, Barnes is down, Dalglish just stands there,
Nichols on his knees, McMahon is on his knees"
:barscarf:
That whole commentary at the end is poetry. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

As Rodders might - well most likely - nooo uhhmmm as Rodders would definitely say

That commentary was and is Pure ***** Material. :barscarf: :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

StuartL wrote:Greatest night of my life :barscarf:

Got into the ground late due to roadworks on the motorways (despite a delayed kick off) missed the Bouldy chance.

Superb away support including a classis halftime rendition of maybe its because I'm a Londoner.

Can see myself on the match video, just before h/t with my St George's flag r/h side of goal, in row 2 8) 8)

Said to my mate Lee " we are going to fucking do it" at 1-0, then Micky blew a glorious chance.......

Have just watched Fever Pitch to reminice ........somnewhat poetic justice..."Oh shut up, Pleat" :lol:

Ws the first coach back to Highbury (coach 16) where we were treated like conquering hero's by the partying Gooners still there in the early hours of the morning - we had an impromptu conga through the coach and out of the emergency exit.

Just wish mobile phones / video camera's were about back then, would have some priceless footage......but I did write an account into the gooner lettes page that summer :D
Great post mate. Was the greatest night of my life too, even though I was only 15 and was watching at home on TV. Still cant beleive they though David Pleat was an appropriate choice but thats ITV for you. They even cut the post match coverage short to show Dempsey and fucking Makepeace!!!

I think I am glad mobile cameras etc. werent around then though. It gives stories like yours more colour. In fact par of me wishes mobiles and cameras were still not around as I think they have changed the way people act. Too much is about being seen to be somewhere and recording it to show others. Reactions and behaviour has become contrived just for something to put on Facebook or whatever. Nights like 26 May 1989 are a different world and I preferred how it was back then. Things were more natural, less image conscious and there was more freedom. But having said all that I'd really miss my iPhone if it was taken off me :D

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Happy St Michael's Day..
Saw this on Twitter

Oh what a night
Late in May 1989
When Mickey scored in added time
Oh I remember what a night..

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Happy St Mickey Thomas' day to one and all! :barscarf:

I still sometimes find it hard to believe we went there and did it. :shock: 8)

Citeh and their last-game title-win can kiss my hairy hole. They only had to match manure's result to win on goal difference. Big deal. Try going to the home ground of the best team in the league, and have to beat them on their turf by 2 clear goals, fuckers! And then to do it with the last shot of the season? No comparison - no matter how much SlySports talk up the citeh title win. :roll:

That citeh last-game title-win is, was, and will always be, Anfield-Lite. :x :roll:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Hard to believe is correct DB10. Some neanderthal people I knew tried to demean it by saying "it was only the league final" GAA reference that only Irish will understand perhaps.. Others (and I'm not joking) said the emotion of Hillsborough cost Liverpool the game..I honestly feel for drama it could never be surpassed but the drama took away a bit from the fact it was a 38 game season..If Arsenal hadn't won at Everton or Villa after Christmas they wouldn't have been in the position you go to Anfield needing a win, equally if Arsenal hadn't dropped points at home to Derby County and Wimbledon then they would have gone to Anfield already possibly crowned Champions
In terms of achievement for George Graham I think the 1990/91 title was bigger..but the night of May 26th is written in folklore now..