26 May 1989

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: 26 May 1989

Post by Clash »

''He flips it wide of Grobbelaar ...''

I used to belt out those words many times if I scored playing football in the park with friends ... a lot of whom, coming from London, naturally happened to support Liverpool :roll:

Whenever I watch that game and Thomas' goal it gets harder and harder to believe it was even possible to pull that off. The single most dramatic moment in sport, no doubt about it. And isn't it strange how David Pleat does his long winded whiny voice speech ... and then after the goal there is not a peep out of him? I bet he was distraught.

In many ways it still seems so fresh, such is the way it is imprinted in the minds of those of us who witnessed it. But 27 years ago is a different world and to put that in perspective, try going back 27 years before 1989 and look at the world then. 1962 is before Kennedy was shot, before England won the world cup, before NASA faked landing on the moon etc. All things that to those of us living in 1989 viewed as distant history.

Great thread. We should do this every year :)

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Judging by the posts so many people's memory of that wonderful night involves dear old Brian Moore's commentary.

Fans of other clubs may disagree but Brian's commentary that night was the best football commentary ever - completely and utterly perfect. No screaming, no shouting, just an incredibly beautiful choice of words under great pressure.

Brian Moore is a big part of why that match remains so vivid in our memories. RIP to a lovely, lovely man.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Jumpers For Goalposts wrote:Judging by the posts so many people's memory of that wonderful night involves dear old Brian Moore's commentary.

Fans of other clubs may disagree but Brian's commentary that night was the best football commentary ever - completely and utterly perfect. No screaming, no shouting, just an incredibly beautiful choice of words under great pressure.

Brian Moore is a big part of why that match remains so vivid in our memories. RIP to a lovely, lovely man.

"and we have the greatest finish in the History of the game....".

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
"The Liverpool players are down, absolutely abject!
Aldridge is down, Barnes is down, Dalglish just stands there,
Nichols on his knees, McMahon is on his knees"
:barscarf:
Poetry Pure Poetry ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Poetry I tell you. 8)

Sean

Post by Sean »

One of the greatest Arsenal moments;

phpBB [video]

I was a few months shy of my third birthday. I'm gutted I wasn't old enough to be aware of it.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Aldridge really was the Crunt of the Decade.

Sean

Post by Sean »

I'd like to join the praise of Brian Moore. Back when ITV had credibility (instead of shite like Tyldesley and Drury :suicide: ). Unfortunately my memories of Moore's commentary are restricted to our CWC finalist run in 95 and watching other clubs in The Be All and End All.

By the way, Kevin Richardson is a youth coach at Newcastle. Such a character like his would not be tolerated on the staff at Arsene FC :banghead:

'Oh shut up, Pleat' :mrgreen:

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Great thread chaps, Aldridge throwing his toys out the pram at the end, McMahon mouthing to his team mates theres only 1 minute to go, how dare anyone go to Anfield and turn the mousers over on their own patch, not matter how bad our mob is now we will always have those memories and that's something Wenger and his chums on the board can never take away from us fans.

Jon

Post by Jon »

Reading this thread reminded me just how much I hated John Aldridge so I googled "I hate John Aldridge" and it took me to The Shed End. Despite being a Chelsea forum it made great reading, he really is a nasty crunt.
There is reference made to his behaviour in the title decider, and particularly Tony Adams re Brian Laws (Nottm Forest defender against Liverpol in FA Cup semi final that year).

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Sean wrote:I'd like to join the praise of Brian Moore. Back when ITV had credibility (instead of shite like Tyldesley and Drury :suicide: ). Unfortunately my memories of Moore's commentary are restricted to our CWC finalist run in 95 and watching other clubs in The Be All and End All.

By the way, Kevin Richardson is a youth coach at Newcastle. Such a character like his would not be tolerated on the staff at Arsene FC :banghead:

'Oh shut up, Pleat' :mrgreen:

In my early teens I used to watch Gillingham , who Brian Moore supported, and often went to watch and I spoke to him and got his autograph on a number of occasions. He was a softly spoken gentlemen and always stopped to chat and sign every autograph that was requested.
Unlike most of today's commentators he didn't need to shout and scream to create drama. Sadly missed.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Sorry, not related to 89. Just a random tribute by MOTD to our 97-98 champions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQWIXc1o9Y

Beautiful. I fucking loved that team. Every fucking one of them. Except Boa Morte :D

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

arseofacrow wrote:Sorry, not related to 89. Just a random tribute by MOTD to our 97-98 champions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQWIXc1o9Y

Beautiful. I fucking loved that team. Every fucking one of them. Except Boa Morte :D

0 goals in 25 PL games for us - Sanogo still has work to do!

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

An article to cheer everyone up remembering better times!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rpool-1989

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

I was lucky enough to be at Anfield that glorious night.
Me and 3 mates, stuck in stationary traffic on the M6 at about 7pm, somewhere near Crewe and with little chance of making the game, we were deciding whether to just turn off and find a pub to watch the game.
Then a bloke in his work van sat along side us winds down his window and seeing an Arsenal scarf tells us if we want to make the game then to take the next turn off and gives us directions through the back lanes towards Chester and the Birkenhead tunnel. Having nothing to lose, we did and found our way to Liverpool, only missing the first 15 mins. Thanks to that bloke always.
The rest is history as they say.
By far my greatest night as a Gooner and for me, one never to be beaten.

PS - don't you watch the replay and still think Micky Thomas is gonna get tackled??

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SPARKSY wrote:I was lucky enough to be at Anfield that glorious night.
Me and 3 mates, stuck in stationary traffic on the M6 at about 7pm, somewhere near Crewe and with little chance of making the game, we were deciding whether to just turn off and find a pub to watch the game.
Then a bloke in his work van sat along side us winds down his window and seeing an Arsenal scarf tells us if we want to make the game then to take the next turn off and gives us directions through the back lanes towards Chester and the Birkenhead tunnel. Having nothing to lose, we did and found our way to Liverpool, only missing the first 15 mins. Thanks to that bloke always.
The rest is history as they say.
By far my greatest night as a Gooner and for me, one never to be beaten.

PS - don't you watch the replay and still think Micky Thomas is gonna get tackled??
I keep thinking surely Nichol will just chop him down... :lol:

Even now days when I watch it and hear Brian Moore's commentary as St Michael hits the net I get goose bumps, the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and a shiver runs down my spine... simply the greatest moment ever. 8)