26 May 1989

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: 26 May 1989

Post by StuartL »

Skooner wrote:An article to cheer everyone up remembering better times!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rpool-1989
There is a quote from.a scouser that Smith didn't touch the ball

Still the denial persists :)

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SPARKSY wrote:I was lucky enough to be at Anfield that glorious night.
Me and 3 mates, stuck in stationary traffic on the M6 at about 7pm, somewhere near Crewe and with little chance of making the game, we were deciding whether to just turn off and find a pub to watch the game.
Then a bloke in his work van sat along side us winds down his window and seeing an Arsenal scarf tells us if we want to make the game then to take the next turn off and gives us directions through the back lanes towards Chester and the Birkenhead tunnel. Having nothing to lose, we did and found our way to Liverpool, only missing the first 15 mins. Thanks to that bloke always.
The rest is history as they say.
By far my greatest night as a Gooner and for me, one never to be beaten.

PS - don't you watch the replay and still think Micky Thomas is gonna get tackled??
I keep thinking surely Nichol will just chop him down... :lol:

Even now days when I watch it and hear Brian Moore's commentary as St Michael hits the net I get goose bumps, the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and a shiver runs down my spine... simply the greatest moment ever. 8)
Same, was in the 2nd row of the seats to left hand side of the goal.

Still the greatest night / weekend of my life :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

To re-live the full impact of this goal I try to watch about 15 mins or so leading up to the goal. It helps me feel what I was feeling at the time and how anxious I was that the time was passing by so fast. Doing it that way, rather than just watching the goal, makes it feel like we are not going to get that second goal.

Other times I will just watch the goal though and try and pick out different reactions in the crowd. In hindsight ITV could have done the moment more justice. They focused on sour-face Dalglish far too long for my liking ... but I accept there were not 25 cameras in grounds in those days and in the main the game was better for that.

Brian Moore's commentary is magnificent but Peter Jones' radio version is pretty spine tingling too if you haven't heard it.

phpBB [video]

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:To re-live the full impact of this goal I try to watch about 15 mins or so leading up to the goal. It helps me feel what I was feeling at the time and how anxious I was that the time was passing by so fast. Doing it that way, rather than just watching the goal, makes it feel like we are not going to get that second goal.

Other times I will just watch the goal though and try and pick out different reactions in the crowd. In hindsight ITV could have done the moment more justice. They focused on sour-face Dalglish far too long for my liking ... but I accept there were not 25 cameras in grounds in those days and in the main the game was better for that.

Brian Moore's commentary is magnificent but Peter Jones' radio version is pretty spine tingling too if you haven't heard it.

phpBB [video]
I loved watching the little scouse kid cry and go apeshit (behind Mickey T doing his headstand) :barscarf:

Gets me through the dark days

I spoke about it to Ian Wright once when he was on air at talksport, and he laughed
Last edited by StuartL on Sun May 27, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

greengooner

Post by greengooner »

The Thomas goal is the background on my PC at work, really pisses off the scousers even now, I tell them if they look really really closely you can see the exact moment that Steve Nichols heart breaks in two.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

greengooner wrote:The Thomas goal is the background on my PC at work, really pisses off the scousers even now, I tell them if they look really really closely you can see the exact moment that Steve Nichols heart breaks in two.
:lol:

I've only ever had one avatar on here. 8)

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

StuartL wrote:
Skooner wrote:An article to cheer everyone up remembering better times!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... rpool-1989
There is a quote from.a scouser that Smith didn't touch the ball

Still the denial persists :)
As far as he's concerned, the Sun newspaper or Margaret Thatcher headed it in.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
greengooner wrote:The Thomas goal is the background on my PC at work, really pisses off the scousers even now, I tell them if they look really really closely you can see the exact moment that Steve Nichols heart breaks in two.

I've only ever had one avatar on here. 8)
Along with 2 smurfs..........is it a blue thing you have got a fetish for ?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Up there with the best days of my life :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:Up there with the best days of my life :barscarf:
I took the following week off work and went on an absolute tear up. My old man (who was my boss at the time) was incredulous. He could not believe I was going on the lash for a week to celebrate. But for me I thought it might be the only time in my life that I'd get to celebrate a title as I was only a toddler when we won the 71 Double, and who knew if we'd ever do it again? In the end my piss-up rolled into almost 2 weeks... :D 8)

Clash

Post by Clash »

You must have had a fucking great life if that day is only ''up there' with the best days mate :D

I know some compare the birth of their kids etc. but I think its just something blokes feel they have to say 8) . And lets be honest, the baby was hardly a surprise was it?!. You'd known it was coming for months. The big lump in your other half's belly and her constant whinging were a bit of a giveaway I'm sure. And what if you've had more than 1 kid? The one-off moment has gone.

Anfield 89 was a one-off and that it happened the way it did was unexpected and cannot be compared to anything else. Its simpy has to be the best moment in life for any Arsenal fan who was around at that time and old enough to understand it.

I wont accept any comparisons ... but I will understand if in public you feel you have to pretend to say your kids being born or your wedding day etc. was as good.

I know you're just saying it for a quiet life ... but we all know what the no.1 moment was :D .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
You must have had a fucking great life if that day is only ''up there' with the best days mate :D

I know some compare the birth of their kids etc. but I think its just something blokes feel they have to say 8) . And lets be honest, the baby was hardly a surprise was it?!. You'd known it was coming for months. The big lump in your other half's belly and her constant whinging were a bit of a giveaway I'm sure. And what if you've had more than 1 kid? The one-off moment has gone.

Anfield 89 was a one-off and that it happened the way it did was unexpected and cannot be compared to anything else. Its simpy has to be the best moment in life for any Arsenal fan who was around at that time and old enough to understand it.

I wont accept any comparisons ... but I will understand if in public you feel you have to pretend to say your kids being born or your wedding day etc. was as good.

I know you're just saying it for a quiet life ... but we all know what the no.1 moment was :D .

Fuck yeah. I'm very happily married to a beautiful woman and we have two beautiful kids that I would die for in the blink of an eye. But I'm sorry, NOTHING comes close to THAT moment at Anfield in 89 for unbridled euphoria and joy and emotional release. I've taken most drugs known to mankind at some point but none of them even come close to Anfield 89. :shock: :lol:

:barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

Fuck yeah. I'm very happily married to a beautiful woman and we have two beautiful kids that I would die for in the blink of an eye. But I'm sorry, NOTHING comes close to THAT moment at Anfield in 89 for unbridled euphoria and joy and emotional release. I've taken most drugs known to mankind at some point but none of them even come close to Anfield 89. :shock: :lol:

:barscarf:
:D Your secret is safe with me mate, we're all friends here : ))

Actually to contradict myself slightly though there is one moment that compares with Thomas's goal ... and maybe betters it? And that is the sound of the final whistle and seeing Alan Smith leaping into the air. The two moments were so close they almost become one but for a brief moment after Thomas scored I think I feared Liverpool making it 2-1. That's the sort of thing those bastards could have done back then and if they had I would never have recovered from it.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Clash wrote:

Youre right sorry was trying to say the right thing :lol: I didnt go to Anfield even though i went to nearly every game home and away at the time im glad i didnt, i got to share it with my lovely Gooner dad who isnt around anymore :barscarf: :barscarf: If someone ever invents a time machine its the moment id return to

Having kids is incredible but this was a moment of pure ecstasy. I literally (and i mean it in the right sense) couldn't get a smile off my face or a week or two after

dave e

Post by dave e »

Gunner Rob wrote:this was a one off never to be repeated match.
the top 2 going for the title in the final match of the season and the winner decided with the last kick of the match
the match broadcast live on a Friday night on free to air TV

it was the start of our glory years (yes there was life before Wenger) but nothing can and will ever top that night
Agree with all that but for me the game at whl in1971 when Ray Kennedy scored right at the end to win the league is on a par. A few games earlier we were 7 points behind Leeds. Then on the Saturday off to Wembley to win the double.