26 May 1989

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jumpers For Goalposts

Re: 26 May 1989

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

flash gunner wrote:
Clash wrote:
flash gunner wrote:Up there with the best days of my life :barscarf:
You must have had a fucking great life if that day is only ''up there' with the best days mate :D

I know some compare the birth of their kids etc. but I think its just something blokes feel they have to say 8) . And lets be honest, the baby was hardly a surprise was it?!. You'd known it was coming for months. The big lump in your other half's belly and her constant whinging were a bit of a giveaway I'm sure. And what if you've had more than 1 kid? The one-off moment has gone.

Anfield 89 was a one-off and that it happened the way it did was unexpected and cannot be compared to anything else. Its simpy has to be the best moment in life for any Arsenal fan who was around at that time and old enough to understand it.

I wont accept any comparisons ... but I will understand if in public you feel you have to pretend to say your kids being born or your wedding day etc. was as good.

I know you're just saying it for a quiet life ... but we all know what the no.1 moment was :D .
Youre right sorry was trying to say the right thing :lol: I didnt go to Anfield even though i went to nearly every game home and away at the time im glad i didnt, i got to share it with my lovely Gooner dad who isnt around anymore :barscarf: :barscarf: If someone ever invents a time machine its the moment id return to

Having kids is incredible but this was a moment of pure ecstasy. I literally (and i mean it in the right sense) couldn't get a smile off my face or a week or two after
I'm still working on the time machine - gonna have to be a fucking huge thing to fit us all in :lol:

Remembering that wonderful night makes the current malaise so much sadder. A Wenger team could never never never achieve what the Anfield 89 lads achieved :barscarf:

Paulio

Post by Paulio »

28 years ago today. Brilliant memories. Might watch this later on :barscarf: :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Paulio wrote:28 years ago today. Brilliant memories. Might watch this later on :barscarf: :D
Will also be rewatching this tonight in some hope I can kickstart a bit of enthusiasm for tomorrow. :barscarf:

Thomas, charging through the midfield... it's up for grabs now... THOMAS! :barscarf: 8) :crest: :flag: :winner:

This is our club!

Post by This is our club! »

Was 15 at the time, watched this at the social club on my estate where I grew up, in Tottenham, utter mayhem after, what a time to be alive! Someone should remind Wenger that we were the original and best dramatic last game league winners, not city as he suggested recently....
I know I will get knocked as a revisionist for this..but..for me, this feat tops the invincibles...one minute, one minute, one minute..... :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

This is our club! wrote:Was 15 at the time, watched this at the social club on my estate where I grew up, in Tottenham, utter mayhem after, what a time to be alive! Someone should remind Wenger that we were the original and best dramatic last game league winners, not city as he suggested recently....
I know I will get knocked as a revisionist for this..but..for me, this feat tops the invincibles...one minute, one minute, one minute..... :barscarf:
No, not revisionist for me. The Invincibles was an amazing achievement but spread over an entire season. This one moment for me tops everything. Literally the last shot of the last game of the season, away to the dominant club in the league, needing to win by 2 clear goals to take the title from the grasp of that dominant club, to win our first title in nearly 2 decades... nothing tops that and nothing ever will. 8) 8)

The citeh title win doesn't even come close. :lol: :roll:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Up the Gunners :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Great times,Great Club,Great Team.
I might watch the dvd of the game later,but will give "Fever Pitch" a swerve. :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

This is our club! wrote:Was 15 at the time, watched this at the social club on my estate where I grew up, in Tottenham, utter mayhem after, what a time to be alive! Someone should remind Wenger that we were the original and best dramatic last game league winners, not city as he suggested recently....
I was 15 too. I always think that was a great age to be for this game. Easily old enough to have experienced disappointments and to completely understand what it meant ... but still young enough to be allowed to be totally obsessed with Arsenal. I must have watched the video 500 times in the following week (which just happened to be half term). Girls and drinking etc. were things to look forward to and not be sidetracked by for another year or two as well.

Its always extra special when this anniversary falls on a Friday too I think.

I think its half term next week too. Maybe I'll take next week off work and watch the cup final 500 times if we beat Chelsea tomorrow. Ooops ... apologies for mentioning modern football on this sacred thread 8) .

Tollgoon

Post by Tollgoon »

Was anyone in the Gunners that night? If so , I was the drunken twat who kept getting up on a stool in front of the telly and taking photos of the crowd in the pub. Some sixth sense told me it was going to be a special night. unfortunately, lost the camera in the shenanigans afterwars including waiting on the marble steps for the coach to come back. -nothing will ever beat that game for drama

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The Liverpool players are down, absolutely abject. Aldridge is down, Barnes is down; Dalglish just stands there, Nicol’s on his knees, McMahon’s on his knees

:barscarf: :barscarf:

Non flying Dutchman

Post by Non flying Dutchman »

The greatest football memory for any arsenal fan, I was 23, shouted loud enough to wake my 8 month old son up

Never to be repeated, as that Football club no longer exists having died after we left Highbury

But on this day lets just enjoy it, might go watch the last 5munites again now :D

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

PS tks to Brian Moore for the commentary too

Swiss Tony Adams

Post by Swiss Tony Adams »

Yup, glad to be alive.

That was The ARSENAL.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

As I always say on this anniversary....
I was there!! :barscarf: :D

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

I'm getting goose bumps as that incredible moment draws nearer.

In reality the first 22 hours of 26 May 1989 were really shite but those last 2 hours more than made up for it.

No matter what else happens in my life - nothing will ever match that wonderful day :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Exactly 28 years ago
Wow makes me feel old!
Probably the greatest and tense evening of watching football ever