26 May 1989

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: 26 May 1989

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:Hard to believe is correct DB10. Some neanderthal people I knew tried to demean it by saying "it was only the league final" GAA reference that only Irish will understand perhaps.. Others (and I'm not joking) said the emotion of Hillsborough cost Liverpool the game..I honestly feel for drama it could never be surpassed but the drama took away a bit from the fact it was a 38 game season..If Arsenal hadn't won at Everton or Villa after Christmas they wouldn't have been in the position you go to Anfield needing a win, equally if Arsenal hadn't dropped points at home to Derby County and Wimbledon then they would have gone to Anfield already possibly crowned Champions
In terms of achievement for George Graham I think the 1990/91 title was bigger..but the night of May 26th is written in folklore now..
Yeah. For me 1989 was the stuff of legends but we effectively fucked up so much we put ourselves in that position of having to go to Anfield and win by 2 goals. Whereas 1991 was more of an achievement in that it was a season where we not only delivered in nearly every game, only losing one all season, but we also did it playing some great, flowing, and attractive football that we never got credit for - and still to this day don't get credit for.

vini1969

Post by vini1969 »

I was there...the last game in a season that saw me attend every league,cup,fa centenary cup game both home and away.
I will never forget that night..obviously :)
Arrived 15 minutes late on our coaches thanks to Bank holiday and train strike (they are holding up kick off until you are there thanks Liverpool Constabulary) to see Bouldy narrowly miss.
The rest you have seen a million times all I can say is I have never known celebrations in a Arsenal end like that since...grown men crying openly hugging complete strangers.
When we finally left Anfield.. and to their credit the Scousers shook our hands saying stuff like "to come up here and do that you deserve it" I still checked my wallet was in my pocket even though they were being pleasant ;-)
The journey home is a blur I vaguely remember the back coach going to the front all the way down the m6 mad grinning Gooners peering out of each one as they went past.
Got back to Highbury early hours and were applauded off the coaches like returning heroes...back home to watch the game on Video (how things have changed in 26 years) then up to the local shops to wait for the newsagent to open before buying all of the daily papers.
Partied all weekend including the parade..I get my program and ticket out from time to time and watch the game...I can be seen going absolutely mad when Micky T scores...black curtain hair and slim a lot has changed except my memories and the blokes who I still go with every week

Thanks Micky T, Smudge and George for the memories

Up the gunners.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

I say the same things I say each year...
I'm proud and lucky to be able to say I was there and I've still got and wear the AFC polo shirt I wore that night!! Keep myself in good shape you see!!
One minute one minute one minute...

Pierre32

Post by Pierre32 »

Absolutely legendary communtry on the night by the Late Great Brian Moore. Wonderful memories. Up The Arsenal.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

never heard of it 8)

nothing, nothing will surpass may 13 2012 when we had to go to the hawthorns and win to secure third place and automatic CL qualification ahead of the scum. people forget we went 1-0 down in the game, came back for 2-1, then they equalised, then the absolute peach of a header by koscielny, which fulop parried into his own goal.

to go to the hawthorns and do that, to that hodgson west brom team, was and still is the stuff of legends. oh and the pat rice send off was fantastic. then walking down that side lane after the match, gooners and baggies mixing together in awe of what they had just witnessed was fantastic. into the beautiful sandworth sunshine we sojourned hearing of city's collapse, then victory against qpr to win the league topped it off.

perhaps the two most dramatic games on the same day, in premier league (and therefore football) history 8)

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Wasn't born. :(

Gutted I missed out on that magical night.

If I had a time machine I would go back to that day and also Queen at Wembley in '86.

Non flying Dutchman

Post by Non flying Dutchman »

My two greatest memories are this ,Partly due to the fantastic commentary, (Thanks Brian, RIP,) and the fact that no-one gave us a chance, and being with my son in 98 with the North bank bouncing up and down, after Tony Smashed it in against Everton

It was another time , far away, a different game, a different club, The picture of Highbury on my study wall above my PC and my memories are all that remains, but I hope as long as I am around that I can raise a glass to the old Arsenal on this day :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Eboue-Why? wrote:I say the same things I say each year...
I'm proud and lucky to be able to say I was there and I've still got and wear the AFC polo shirt I wore that night!! Keep myself in good shape you see!!

I can still fit into my 1989 away shirt :mrgreen: which I managed to get a few signatures on at the 20 year centenary dinner held at the Emirates.

Just watched the "up for grabs" dvd which came out quite a few years after (dvd's weren't invented back then) was shocked to see that only 6 of the division 1 teams (for that was what it was called back then) have not been relegated in the intervening years

Us, (obviously) Scousers, red and blue, tiny totts, mancs and Southampton !!

The rest of the league consisted of (in order of finish) Forest (3rd) Norwich (4th) Derby (5th) Coventry (7th) QPR (9th) Millwall (10th) Wimbledon (12th) Charlton (14th) Sheff Weds(15th) Luton (16th) Villa (17th) Middlesboro (18th) West Ham (19th) and Newcastle bottom.

Quite a difference in the composition of the top league in a few short years.
Last edited by StuartL on Sun May 29, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Wore my replica shirt today with the Number 4 on it...and made a point of reminding all the scouse fans in the office with a round robin e-mail that automatically regenerated each time they deleted it

"It's Up For Grabs Nowwwww!"

Ohhhh What FUN! :dance: :dance: :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFo1eyWbTtc :barscarf:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

StuartL wrote:
Eboue-Why? wrote:I say the same things I say each year...

I can still fit into my 1989 away shirt :mrgreen: which I managed to get a few signatures on at the 25 year centenary dinner held at the Emirates.

Just watched the "up for grabs" dvd which came out quite a few years after (dvd's weren't invented back then) was shocked to see that only 6 of the division 1 teams (for that was what it was called back then) have not been relegated in the intervening years

Us, (obviously) Scousers, red and blue, tiny totts, mancs and Southampton !!

The rest of the league consisted of (in order of finish) Forest (3rd) Norwich (4th) Derby (5th) Coventry (7th) QPR (9th) Millwall (10th) Wimbledon (12th) Charlton (14th) Sheff Weds(15th) Luton (16th) Villa (17th) Middlesboro (18th) West Ham (19th) and Newcastle bottom.

Quite a difference in the composition of the top league in a few short years.
Saints were relegated in 04/05.
I know Sky would like everyone to think that the Aguero moment was the greatest thing to happen in English football but that game wasn't a winner takes all situation. Arsenal were the underdogs and beating Liverpool by two goals at Anfield in those days was a rare achievement, such was their dominance at the time. Brian Moore's commentary sends a shiver down my spine to this day.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Is it really 27 years????

Football has changed sooo much in that time but all the money in the world could never recreate that wonderful wonderful night

A team full of local lads. Nobody giving us a prayer. Head to head against the best team in England. Winning the league in the very last minute of the season.

Nothing Sky contrive could ever come close to 26 May 1989

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:never heard of it 8)

nothing, nothing will surpass may 13 2012 when we had to go to the hawthorns and win to secure third place and automatic CL qualification ahead of the scum. people forget we went 1-0 down in the game, came back for 2-1, then they equalised, then the absolute peach of a header by koscielny, which fulop parried into his own goal.

to go to the hawthorns and do that, to that hodgson west brom team, was and still is the stuff of legends. oh and the pat rice send off was fantastic. then walking down that side lane after the match, gooners and baggies mixing together in awe of what they had just witnessed was fantastic. into the beautiful sandworth sunshine we sojourned hearing of city's collapse, then victory against qpr to win the league topped it off.

perhaps the two most dramatic games on the same day, in premier league (and therefore football) history 8)
A real football memory. We had so many customers travel to The Hawthorns that day, and 12 month later we did it again at Newcastle.
1989 almost had an innocence about it when you think of how cynical the club and football is now.

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

Kevin Richardson.

What a great central midfielder - the unsung hero of the 1989 team. Does anybody know what he's doing these days?

"Richardson is down injured and presumably will have to go off . . . . . "

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Watching the scousecuntbags give it the one finger counting out 1 minute and Low (high) fiving one another on the sly - and then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAZK5PpOZOQ

A MOMENT OF MAGIC
A MOMENT OF BLISS
A MOMENT THAT SHALL NEVER BE REPEATED
A MOMENT THAT SHALL LIVE WITH ME ALL MY DAYS :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

A review of the whole season : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpGqsxoYfOM

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

To be fair to McMahon, I think he was only trying to gee them up and say keep going to the end.

He kopped :roll: a lot of flack from us lot for that subsequently " 1 minute, 1 minute"

wheras Barnes and Aldridge escaped with their sly congratulatory handshake to each other......something about counting chickens springs to mind, very unprofessional.