Oxlade-Chamberlain

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Post by officepest »

Having read Kevin’s match report on the homepage, I was drawn to his remarks about Oxlade-Chamberlain; that is to say he’s unhappy, wants more game time or even to leave.

I wasn’t aware of his discontent and wondered if it is common knowledge or if I’m just not clued in? For my part, and I would love for him to succeed with us, I worry that constant injuries (shock) and him being used as a utility player have stagnated his development.

There’s surely something wrong though because this season he has been distinctly sub-par as well as a defensive liability; he's not exactly banging on Wenker’s door demanding selection. Does anybody have any theories as to what’s up, or is it just me?

QuartzGooner

Re: Oxlade-Chamberlain

Post by QuartzGooner »

It is public knowledge that he has been playing through injury for a while, playing in pain.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... in-arsenal

He looks to me a good solo player in terms of the odd spectacular goal or power run but too often he does not link well, he can overplay the ball or lose it too easily to be in my starting eleven.

I think lack of regular game time is a harm to him and I can see him leaving this summer, possibly for Everton or Liverpool.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

not sure what is wrong with him but he is in terrible form at the moment, and lacking confidence.

The only time I have ever witnessed any positive consistency in his game is prior to his injury last season, before the FA Cup final. He played well at utd, i think few weeks after got injured.

I've never been convinced by the guy, but at his age he has to play games to improve, that's tricky when you're injury prone. He has a chance to get some game time, and he needs to take it. Even Joel Campbell who never looked even a PL player is actually showing he has some use as a squad player.

augie

Post by augie »

I will be gutted if the ox doesn't come good for us and ends up leaving - he is a player that I feel has the brains, speed and ability to make it at the top level, and I really hope it will be with us. There is no doubt that he is suffering a lack of development which leads back to wenker's door one way or another - whether I agree with le cocks tactics or not is irrelevant in this but I don't believe that they suit the ox and I don't believe that they will allow him bring his best aspects to the table. For me the ox (at the moment) is a fast direct winger who is best suited to taking on a full back in a 4-4-2 formation - he hasn't developed or matured enough to trust playing him in centre midfield, and I just don't believe that he is suited to playing wide in a front 3. I really believe that if he went to another club and was starting on a regular basis, he would develop into a quality player and sadly it looks that leaving us might be the best option for him :(

On a related issue, I was conversing with some victims supporting buddies of mine in the pub last week and they all argued that not one player who has departed Southampton in the last few years, has gone on to be successful with their new club. Of course a manure supporting buddy disagreed by suggesting shaw, but that little tub of shit hasn't played anywhere near enough games to be called a success yet

casgooner

Post by casgooner »

I like Ox, but I used to think the same thing about Walcott, if he went somewhere else he would be a more successful player. Think about the way teams set up against us and park the bus when we are fluent, Walcott can't use his pace in those circumstances. Few players who come to us with potential never seem to reach it!

Herd

Post by Herd »

Used to be a big fan and I do think we have mis used him but the guy is a thick and mardy twat and if he leaves good riddance !
He reminds me of all that is bad at Arsenal , an up and coming player suddenly given a huge contract without having earned it and now he thinks he is monsieur charles grand legumes !
His attitude sucks ,so does his play , the opening game against West Spam was typical , giving the ball away in vunerable places piss poor positioning and a refusal to work back when not in possesion are hallmarks of this imbecile !
When he came on for the Bayern game he ran after the ball like 10 years olds do in the playground leaving bellerin to mark 2 players .
I watched him very closely and he saw what he was doing but didnt seem to care a shit !
I've gone from loving him to almost hating him which is very strange for me !

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:I will be gutted if the ox doesn't come good for us and ends up leaving - he is a player that I feel has the brains, speed and ability to make it at the top level, and I really hope it will be with us. There is no doubt that he is suffering a lack of development which leads back to wenker's door one way or another - whether I agree with le cocks tactics or not is irrelevant in this but I don't believe that they suit the ox and I don't believe that they will allow him bring his best aspects to the table. For me the ox (at the moment) is a fast direct winger who is best suited to taking on a full back in a 4-4-2 formation - he hasn't developed or matured enough to trust playing him in centre midfield, and I just don't believe that he is suited to playing wide in a front 3. I really believe that if he went to another club and was starting on a regular basis, he would develop into a quality player and sadly it looks that leaving us might be the best option for him :(

On a related issue, I was conversing with some victims supporting buddies of mine in the pub last week and they all argued that not one player who has departed Southampton in the last few years, has gone on to be successful with their new club. Of course a manure supporting buddy disagreed by suggesting shaw, but that little tub of shit hasn't played anywhere near enough games to be called a success yet

Taking on a full back are you sure the way he's playing?? as soon as possible drop him, he's playing shit this year and thats down to him

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

Herd wrote:Used to be a big fan and I do think we have mis used him but the guy is a thick and mardy twat and if he leaves good riddance !
He reminds me of all that is bad at Arsenal , an up and coming player suddenly given a huge contract without having earned it and now he thinks he is monsieur charles grand legumes !
His attitude sucks ,so does his play , the opening game against West Spam was typical , giving the ball away in vunerable places piss poor positioning and a refusal to work back when not in possesion are hallmarks of this imbecile !
When he came on for the Bayern game he ran after the ball like 10 years olds do in the playground leaving bellerin to mark 2 players .
I watched him very closely and he saw what he was doing but didnt seem to care a shit !
I've gone from loving him to almost hating him which is very strange for me !
So: :?

You need to be clearer; I can't make out what your opinion is of him from this post. :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

It annoys me when players who have struggled with injuries then harp on lack of first team opportunities. I like Chamberlain but he cant stay fit for more than 6 weeks at a time. Also, I think he's a midfielder not a winger. Best game I've seen him play was against Utd about 3 seasons ago through the middle and he was dynamic. With Carzola out I would give him a go in his place.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Nos89 wrote:It annoys me when players who have struggled with injuries then harp on lack of first team opportunities. I like Chamberlain but he cant stay fit for more than 6 weeks at a time. Also, I think he's a midfielder not a winger. Best game I've seen him play was against Utd about 3 seasons ago through the middle and he was dynamic. With Carzola out I would give him a go in his place.
In the past I would have agreed with him that he has been in and out of the side constantly. But as you said he is constantly injured and moreover playing like an utter turd when he is fit.

If there is one position where a young player is not going to prosper under Wenger its on the wing. Chamberlain is clearly struggling from a lack of understanding of the Role, but that said he has just been so abysmally poor that he has to shoulder a huge amount of blame himself.

Such a fucking waste of undoubtedly one of the country's best young talents.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Compared to young players of the past, he's not doing much.

in fact, probably less. :shock:

Herd

Post by Herd »

arseofacrow wrote:Compared to young players of the past, he's not doing much.
Such insight in a minimalist way !

Sean

Post by Sean »

The Ox has gone backwards. Another indictment of Wenger supposedly 'being good with youth development', whatever the fuck that means.

It's clear that the players in general are taught the square root of fuck all under The Old Fraud. What hope do the youth have?

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Herd wrote:
arseofacrow wrote:Compared to young players of the past, he's not doing much.
Such insight in a minimalist way !
:D

I know.

8)

Blade

Post by Blade »

Unbelievable how much he has regressed these last 18 months.

What are the 'coaching' staff teaching him?