David Dein

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: David Dein

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

I would love if the old Dean would come back, why I say old is because he has been out of that type of work for a while so I don't know if he will have the same influence that he once had

barnetgooner

Post by barnetgooner »

supergeorgegraham wrote:Please come back and save our club. Use fan power to get rid of Kronke and his drones then advise we buy some good consistent players just like it was while you were here. Many many thanks
David Dein to get rid of Kroenke? Think you need to refresh your memory.... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... hares.html

Yes Dein did a great job in the transfer market back in the day and we need someone like him, but Dein is to blame for Kroenke being involved in the club in the first place.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I would like to see us being Dein back, the only draw back is the friendship with the myopic one. There is a possibility that Dein would take command of the transfers and we may end up with a good footballing side and thus leaving Wenger to do nothing but manage but, being a realist, it is obvious that even if Dein did come back and did take over the transfers and the running of things, there's only Juan is still tactically clueless and unless Dein could take Wenger and his "tactics" out of 2005 then and only then will we look at being a reformed side.

Sean

Post by Sean »

It's a moot point anyway.

Although we do wish an actual Arsenal supporter was on the board - a 'Dein-type', pushing and challenging The Old Fraud. Do those old fossils Keswick, et al even count as Gooners?

It's a total power vacuum, with an absentee owner, a puppet board and a dictator of a manager. It's a fucking shambles :(

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:I would love if the old Dean would come back, why I say old is because he has been out of that type of work for a while so I don't know if he will have the same influence that he once had
Good point. My impression of the Dein/Wenger working relationship was that Wenger identified the player he wanted and Dein did the negotiating. Since Dein left Wenger hasn't pressed a club to sell us a top player, he has signed only players whose clubs were willing to release them. I think that's where we miss the "old" Dein. He had a huge network of contacts with agents and clubs in Europe and beyond and loved to strike a deal. But would a modern Dein still have those contacts, would he still even have the drive to be negotiating and striking deals?

The Knowing One

Post by The Knowing One »

The problem here is Dein is Wenger's biggest cheerleader, whenever he's been interviewed in the past his view has unequivocally been stick with Wenger, he probably thinks its still the same 1998-2004 version of Wenger

Sean

Post by Sean »

When Dein was sacked in 2007, Wenger asked him if he should resign.

Unfortunately, Dein told him not to - believing it to be in the best interests of the club that he stay - and he went on to become club dictator, ruining his reputation and becoming TOF :banghead:

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

Herd wrote:David Dein and his cohort DAnny Fizbang were opportunistic shitbags who have lined their pockets/graves with the gold of Arsenal Football Club !

It is their personal greed that left us in the comfortably numb situation we are now in !
Agreed. people seem to forget that DD actually was the one who got Stan on board to start!

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Yes Dein did get Stan and then Fitzman got rid of Dein and when Stan took over he was never allowed back. Whole thing is strange but I'm guessing that Stan promised to take a minimum amount out of Arsenal while just sitting back and making money on Wengers ability to use Arsenal as a business.
As long as Arsenal shares go up Stan is onto a winner. Board chose not to allow Usmanov to take over because he would invest more on players and harm the financial growth of the club.
Silent Stan still relays on the fans to turn up every week and if Dein had never left we might have had more of a conflict while we waited for the stadium dept to be reduced. Either way the fans lost out because they pay top prices and have a dictatorship in place.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Dein was sacked for going against the board and wanting Kroenke in. He brought Usmanov in a few months after his sacking. Then the rest of the board got into bed with Kroenke.

Unfortunately all this boardroom mess royally backfired. Dein wanted investors and he found misers. TOF without Dein is the worst of the misers :banghead:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I know he screwed up in his final year but it's been 10 years since he left and we have never been the same. Dick Law does transfer buisness like BHS did retail.
1983 to 2007 Arsenal were moving forwards but since he left our board members have been utterly useless.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 pm
I know he screwed up in his final year but it's been 10 years since he left and we have never been the same. Dick Law does transfer buisness like BHS did retail.
1983 to 2007 Arsenal were moving forwards but since he left our board members have been utterly useless.
I don't know if I can forgive him for getting Kroenke involved in the club, he undid most of the good things he did for the club with that one thing, clearly he knew it was a mistake because he then sided with Usmanov but sadly by then it was too late.

He's too old to bring back now and there is no way Silent sh*t would involve someone who sided with the Uzbek, move along please, nothing to see here, much like on the field..

:roll:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:
I don't know if I can forgive him for getting Kroenke involved in the club, he undid most of the good things he did for the club with that one thing, clearly he knew it was a mistake because he then sided with Usmanov but sadly by then it was too late.

He's too old to bring back now and there is no way Silent sh*t would involve someone who sided with the Uzbek, move along please, nothing to see here, much like on the field..

I suspect he's enjoying the 75 million he made selling his shares too much to want a proper job.

NickF

Post by NickF »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 pm
supergeorgegraham wrote:

Agreed, does my head in that people still want Dein involved even though he is in his 70s and his best years were over decade ago. Kind of like hoping Wenger will win the league again because he did it 13 years ago. :roll:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:44 pm
Please come back and save our club. Use fan power to get rid of Kronke and his drones then advise we buy some good consistent players just like it was while you were here. Many many thanks
Wasn't it Dein that brought kronke into the club? Then switched to usmanov when he had a fallout the board. Whilst he did bring Arsenal into the 21st century he also brought about the current stagnation that surrounds the club.