David Dein

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: David Dein

Post by Herd »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:55 pm
gazzatt2 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:53 pm
herd
what was the X marches ?
I was wondering the same but thought x’s marches was short for xisstential, one of the protest organisers ?
yup that's it

Herd

Post by Herd »

As I said this was b4 Kroenke bought the controlling interest ,the agitation was to make nina duffer n fizbang sell to ushmanov but it wasn't to be .
Dein was wide Boy and got control of Arsenal for less than 11 million from the duffer Hillwood ,problem was he didn't have the money to pay for the shares which is why fizbang came in . He wouldn't lend him all the money so he lent him some and took shares himself .
Fizbang knew nothing of football as he admitted in an early interview ,stories of him on the clock end as a boy are just that. but he loved flying his jet so he flew the players around on international duty at our expense ,cheaper than hiring one I suppose .
He was also a very shrewd businessman and for sure was needed for the new stadium project which I doubt if Dein could have delivered .
Dein is a football nut and wanted success for the Club and certainly pushed the conservative Wenger but he loved a sweet deal too .
Ive said often that I believed without direct evidence that the bung scandal for which GG took the fall had in my opinion had Deins footprints all over it ,we continued to pay over the odds for players ,the Berkamp deal was one that comes to mind after gg left ,Dein paying 7.5 mill for a player who was advertised at 4.50 m ,nice little earner that hurts no one because when u make profits u pay tax on them so an offshore bung works nicely.
Ultimately though Dein like Wenger were men of the time ,Wenger arrived at a time of great French players who he had direct links with ,Viera and Henry had gone to Italy and hadn't enjoyed it,they and Petit were pure bargains ,Anelka too . This flair along with a rock solid defense catapulted Arsenal onto great things ,as much as I hate the drudgery now I remember the football we used t play and I'm happy because I never thought id see football like it ,it was exhilarating in the extreme . I even used to go to matches sober and without any herbal or chemical stimulants because I didn't want to miss a trick . I have to be drunk now to even think of watching them. But that was then and this is now we are a yesterdays team with a yesterdays manager .

CharlieGeorge1971

Post by CharlieGeorge1971 »

Herd wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm
Ultimately though Dein like Wenger were men of the time ...
Nailed it, Herd.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Herd wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm
As I said this was b4 Kroenke bought the controlling interest ,the agitation was to make nina duffer n fizbang sell to ushmanov but it wasn't to be .
Dein was wide Boy and got control of Arsenal for less than 11 million from the duffer Hillwood ,problem was he didn't have the money to pay for the shares which is why fizbang came in . He wouldn't lend him all the money so he lent him some and took shares himself .
Fizbang knew nothing of football as he admitted in an early interview ,stories of him on the clock end as a boy are just that. but he loved flying his jet so he flew the players around on international duty at our expense ,cheaper than hiring one I suppose .
He was also a very shrewd businessman and for sure was needed for the new stadium project which I doubt if Dein could have delivered .
Dein is a football nut and wanted success for the Club and certainly pushed the conservative Wenger but he loved a sweet deal too .
Ive said often that I believed without direct evidence that the bung scandal for which GG took the fall had in my opinion had Deins footprints all over it ,we continued to pay over the odds for players ,the Berkamp deal was one that comes to mind after gg left ,Dein paying 7.5 mill for a player who was advertised at 4.50 m ,nice little earner that hurts no one because when u make profits u pay tax on them so an offshore bung works nicely.
Ultimately though Dein like Wenger were men of the time ,Wenger arrived at a time of great French players who he had direct links with ,Viera and Henry had gone to Italy and hadn't enjoyed it,they and Petit were pure bargains ,Anelka too . This flair along with a rock solid defense catapulted Arsenal onto great things ,as much as I hate the drudgery now I remember the football we used t play and I'm happy because I never thought id see football like it ,it was exhilarating in the extreme . I even used to go to matches sober and without any herbal or chemical stimulants because I didn't want to miss a trick . I have to be drunk now to even think of watching them. But that was then and this is now we are a yesterdays team with a yesterdays manager .
That's one of the best posts ( the whole thing - not just the red) you've done on this forum mate!. BANG! Smack on the Nail. :high5:

Herd

Post by Herd »

Dein was also of his time ,football was changed irrevocably by TV ,the duffer Hillwood lived firmly in the shadow of his father who was a very powerful personality and a great man but very much old school toff .
Dein persuaded the club to take on sponsorship which Dennis considered vulgar ,we never had advertising around the ground which he also thought was tacky ,we were the last team to have a shirt deal.
He was also firmly against fences, he was at the old firm game in 71 and maintained correctly that the pitch was a place of safety in an emergency and of course he was right.
Peter to his credit tried to carry on his fathers principals but he really wasnt cut out for modern football and he was totally taken in by Dein who took control of the club cheaply .
I think he thought he neeeded to pass the club on to new hands but he wasnt so stupid because the shares he sold came with handcuffs from what I have been told and beleive.
The shares he sold couldn't be used to vote against him until his death, and he would be chaiman for life . This I beleive is why Chips is a director and his proxy on the board and despite being a fish out of water carries some weight.
Dein was in his element in the 80's and 90's ,he loved the limelight too ,other wide boys made good were coming in to football ,Sugar being another and they all saw the potential of the new TV era .
Things have moved on and the new tycoons on the block are in a different league to the 80's boys . Football has gone the way of USA sporting franchises ,its all about the money and the brand now.
Its not going to change no matter what we do.
In the USA season ticket holders are treated like shit when the world series or the superbowl comes around,these tickets go straight to coporates. few fans get there unless they can pay through the nose !
it will happen here