David Dein

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
NickF

Re: David Dein

Post by NickF »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm
NickF wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm
Didn't he bring in Kroenke though?
He did at first and then aligned with Usmanov. I think even he would admit he made mistakes in 2007 but the club really miss his forward thinking. After he was sacked we went downhill quite fast from where we were.
It is a hell of price we are now paying for that mistake.
We were good in Wenger's early years but I still wouldn't bring Dein back simply because we need fresh ideas and not just try to repeat the past.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

NickF wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:23 pm
It is a hell of price we are now paying for that mistake.
We were good in Wenger's early years but I still wouldn't bring Dein back simply because we need fresh ideas and not just try to repeat the past.
It was a hell of a mistake and I am not sure I can forgive Dein because of his silence, if he at least came out and admitted he got it wrong and that Kroenke was a parasite (doesn't have to use that word) then I would be more inclined to forgive but like so many inc Usmanov it seems they just keep quiet, I'm hoping Usmanov is waiting for the wheels to well and truly come off before making another move but I fear this is just false hope.

Dein is too old to come back now anyway.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'm just gonna repeat what I wrote earlier in this thread...

Dein was not as innocent as just "seeing the future" of the coming "commercial behemoth" - he avidly and actively helped to make that future a reality. He was an instigator, not just a pragmatic follower, in both the changes to Arsenal, and the "modernisation" (read "murder") of the game itself.

If Dein had stayed at Arsenal, who is to say we would not now be in a similar situation? He was part of bringing Kroenke in. He was part of the drive to get rid of us football fans and replace us with customers made up of families, boyfriend/girlfriend couples, and corporates. The type of people that go for "the atmosphere" and spend a small fortune in the club shop and at the restaurants and bars in the stadium, that don't stand up and block other customers views, that don't demand results, that don't chant or sing offensive songs, that then just toddle off home quietly afterwards, satisfied they had a day out at "the soccer"... you know, cúnts. :roll:

Dein was great for getting the deals done in the early Wenger days but he really shit his bib for me with the Wembley thing, and the Kroenke thing, and the driving football into the sanitised fucking corporate borefest we now watch thing.... :roll:

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Dein bought 16% of the club for 292,000. His shareholding went up and down (at one point he owned c.40%) and he sold his final 14% for 75 million.

He may love Arsenal, but he was looking out for himself as well. A stadium full of rich blokes in suits, eating prawn sandwiches wasn't a vision I shared.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 am
Dein bought 16% of the club for 292,000. His shareholding went up and down (at one point he owned c.40%) and he sold his final 14% for 75 million.

He may love Arsenal, but he was looking out for himself as well. A stadium full of rich blokes in suits, eating prawn sandwiches wasn't a vision I shared.
Exactly. 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:23 am

Exactly. 8)
His vision included us playing at Wembley for good and the Arsenal Bond (remember that ? ) on the back of a title win, cough up mega bucks to guarantee entry.

He introduced Kronke to Arsenal, so it’s a no from me, thanks all the same.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Dein was not as innocent as just "seeing the future" of the coming "commercial behemoth" - he avidly and actively helped to make that future a reality. He was an instigator, not just a pragmatic follower, in both the changes to Arsenal, and the "modernisation" (read "murder") of the game itself.

If Dein had stayed at Arsenal, who is to say we would not now be in a similar situation? He was part of bringing Kroenke in. He was part of the drive to get rid of us football fans and replace us with customers made up of families, boyfriend/girlfriend couples, and corporates. The type of people that go for "the atmosphere" and spend a small fortune in the club shop and at the restaurants and bars in the stadium, that don't stand up and block other customers views, that don't demand results, that don't chant or sing offensive songs, that then just toddle off home quietly afterwards, satisfied they had a day out at "the soccer"... you know, cúnts. :roll:

Dein was great for getting the deals done in the early Wenger days but he really shit his bib for me with the Wembley thing, and the Kroenke thing, and the driving football into the sanitised fucking corporate borefest we now watch thing.... :roll:
Spot on. It would be churlish to deny that Dein had a flair for getting deals done, but his love for Arsenal did not extend to a love for the traditional fan-base. Don't forget to add the "Arsenal Bond" and sanitisation of the old North Bank post-Hillsborough to his charge sheet.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:51 pm

Be fair, Arsenal were heading that way under Fitzmann. Idea was if we raised more cash we could compete with Munich on transfers and players. They didn't know back then that players would sell for 198 million euros. Dean was the one man who cared about results so much that he didn't want the stadium move to affect the team. Nobody on here can sway my opinion on the one man who instigated our success. 1983 to 2017 were golden years. 2007 to 2017 have been pure shite apart from the FA Cup I'm not knocking that competition.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Dein may have liked Arsenal but he loved money and power much more ,he and fizbang got kroenke and ushmanov on board to create a bidding war so they could sell their shares bought at a pittance from the duffer Hillwood ,at top dollar .
He was kicked off the board because he wanted to cash in but greedy guts fizbang held on till he sold up on his deathbed .
Dein thus is partly responsible for the morass we are now stuck in .
He had a clandestine meeting with a senior Herd representative after he had left but whilst Nina and Fizbang still had shares , he was promoting robust fan agitation against Kroenke who the board wanted in favour of ushmanov ,but was told firmly that we would not involve ourselves in such an issue ,perhaps we made a mistake there ,who knows ?
Unfortunately most of us are too old and too bored to bother anymore but at that time we could have made quite a scene ,a large amount of people who went on X's marches were herdsman !

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Herd wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 pm
Dein may have liked Arsenal but he loved money and power much more ,he and fizbang got kroenke and ushmanov on board to create a bidding war so they could sell their shares bought at a pittance from the duffer Hillwood ,at top dollar .
He was kicked off the board because he wanted to cash in but greedy guts fizbang held on till he sold up on his deathbed .
He had a clandestine meeting with a senior Herd representative after he had left but whilst Nina and Fizbang still had shares , he was promoting robust fan agitation against Kroenke who the board wanted in favour of ushmanov ,but was told firmly that we would not involve ourselves in such an issue ,perhaps we made a mistake there ,who knows ?
Unfortunately most of us are too old and too bored to bother anymore but at that time we could have made quite a scene ,a large amount of people who went on X's marches were herdsman !
What fan agitation would have got to Kronke over in the USA ?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Past not the future

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Herd wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 pm

So you're responsible for Kroenke??!!!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Politics to one side, about 35 minutes into the Rocasstle / Wright documentry Dein states that as a director of a club all you want is to win things. That's what is currently missing .
, His dealings with Hill-Wood were between the two of them and he came out of it in front . That's life.
He realised what was coming in some ways he was complicit in building the shit fest we have now but while we had him we had the voice in the negotiations . Hill- Wood was bitter realising that he had been outsmarted and Fiszman wanted him out but he knew that to stay at the top the club needed to raise money and find financial input. He just couldn't find the one which the board would accept and who would guarantee his place in the club. On this case he lost !

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

herd
what was the X marches ?

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:53 pm
herd
what was the X marches ?
I was wondering the same but thought x’s marches was short for xisstential, one of the protest organisers ?