Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

Post by SteveO 35 »

armchair wrote:Image
But it was "only the League Cup" right?

Ahhh but football's changed hasn't it?*

* for the fucking worse

What a glorious Wembley day that was. Clearly not a patch on the Virtual Trophy celebration days at the Hawthorns and St James's Park but never mind....

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

just seen a great interview with Thierry Henry on Sky talking about his attitude in the derby matches against the scum, if he can get the passion and rivalry why can't our current players get it. Another failing by Wenger,Bould and the board.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Sitting down with a fucking big whisky to watch the Brockley to the Big Time documentary.

Rocky's career was sadly a bit before my time but I caught the end of IWWW8 when i first started going. Nobody will ever knock him off his perch as my favourite player ever. Still remember sitting there as a young kid being mesmerised by him on the tv. Was lucky enough to be there to see him break the record, and remember him hanging out a window in the East Stand that double-winning season.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Can any of you settle an argument for me ... where did Liam Brady get the nickname Chippy from?

I'm sure my dad told me it was because he liked eating chips and so this is what I have always believed .... but some guy I was talking with last night insists it was because he was good at chipping the ball. My dad now claims not to know :roll:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:Can any of you settle an argument for me ... where did Liam Brady get the nickname Chippy from?

I'm sure my dad told me it was because he liked eating chips and so this is what I have always believed .... but some guy I was talking with last night insists it was because he was good at chipping the ball. My dad now claims not to know :roll:
I remember reading that it was due to his fondness for chips, but no idea where I read it or if it's true.

Clash

Post by Clash »

StuartL wrote:
Clash wrote:Can any of you settle an argument for me ... where did Liam Brady get the nickname Chippy from?

I remember reading that it was due to his fondness for chips, but no idea where I read it or if it's true.
Thats good enough for me, thanks mate

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Thats good enough for me, thanks mate

I think he might have been very good at woodwork.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:

That is 100% true. He has said it himself. It had nothing to do with football and everything to do with chipper chips. And it was his mother's fault!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 58462.html

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

That is 100% true. He has said it himself. It had nothing to do with football and everything to do with chipper chips. And it was his mother's fault!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 58462.html
Great find mate, thanks very much.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Don Howe 1984.

armchair

Post by armchair »

47yrs ago today. :shock:
Arsenal win the Fairs Cup.

phpBB [video]

armchair

Post by armchair »

armchair

Post by armchair »

1988 v Spurs

Just imagine if Ozil had done a "no-look, slide-rule" pass like the one Adams did in this clip. It would break the internet fs.

phpBB [video]

armchair

Post by armchair »

"Smith........and Marwood! 2-1 Arsenal!

phpBB [video]

armchair

Post by armchair »

6th May. FA Cup final day 1978.

Pity the FA Cup (and also the League Cup) seem to have lost some of its "magic" since the whole "top four trophy" thing and the quest for CL money has taken over. :|