Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

Post by DB10GOONER »

xgtdec wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sean wrote:Image

I'll always miss DS1 :barscarf:
We haven't had a keeper anywhere near that quality since.... :(

Seamo = Legend. 8)
No arguements for ds1's status....anything to be said for mad jens(still a decent stopper imo)
Lehman (to me anyway) was a very good, but ultimately very flawed, keeper. Far too prone to rushes of blood to the head and very poor decision making. I personally blame him for us not winning the CL in 2004 and 2006. Both times because of his stupid harebrained habit of rushing out to clear balls that he should not have gone for - one against Gudjohnsen for the chavs in 04 and then the sending off in Paris 06.

Even though Bridge ultimately scored the winning goal for the chavs in the 2nd leg in 04, the goal that Gudjohnsen scored in the 1st leg was totally avoidable and 100% Lehman's fault. :x

I should clarify I also hold Henry to blame for bottling 2 one-on-ones with the Whores' keeper in 06. :x

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

DB10GOONER wrote:
xgtdec wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Seamo = Legend. 8)
No arguements for ds1's status....anything to be said for mad jens(still a decent stopper imo)
Lehman (to me anyway) was a very good, but ultimately very flawed, keeper. Far too prone to rushes of blood to the head and very poor decision making. I personally blame him for us not winning the CL in 2004 and 2006. Both times because of his stupid harebrained habit of rushing out to clear balls that he should not have gone for - one against Gudjohnsen for the chavs in 04 and then the sending off in Paris 06.

Even though Bridge ultimately scored the winning goal for the chavs in the 2nd leg in 04, the goal that Gudjohnsen scored in the 1st leg was totally avoidable and 100% Lehman's fault. :x

I should clarify I also hold Henry to blame for bottling 2 one-on-ones with the Whores' keeper in 06. :x
You should've mentioned it before mate. :shock: :rubchin: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

arseofacrow wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
xgtdec wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Seamo = Legend. 8)

You should've mentioned it before mate. :shock: :rubchin: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Yeah, I know. My missus is always saying that I tend to bottle these things up. :-P :wink:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Yea Seamo was top quality in his prime. Best keeper Ive seen.
Unfortunately Wenger let him go on way past his best to the point that I used to get worried that anything above head height and on target was goin in over his head.

I could never understand why Wenger didnt replace him sooner and this used to frustrate the fuck outta me, even back then.

First keeper I seen was Jimmy Rimmer. Favourit all time keeper - big Pat Jennings
:barscarf:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

armchair wrote:Yea Seamo was top quality in his prime. Best keeper Ive seen.
Unfortunately Wenger let him go on way past his best to the point that I used to get worried that anything above head height and on target was goin in over his head.

I could never understand why Wenger didnt replace him sooner and this used to frustrate the fuck outta me, even back then.

First keeper I seen was Jimmy Rimmer. Favourit all time keeper - big Pat Jennings
He was just ice cold under pressure. Nobody ever got him rattled and that was what made him so good. He was also completely focused on his role and never distracted. Having said that, Wanker did let him go on for two or three seasons too long and by keeping him as number 1, he created a huge problem for the club which has still not really been solved. Back in 1998, Maninnger was in the form of his life and got dropped, he could have been a decent keeper had he been given a chance and not had his confidence destroyed by being dropped and always having to be a back-up. Perhaps the same could be said for Richard Wright or perhaps it's just Wanker being rubbish with keepers.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Wenger just wasnt bothered or interested in that position imo. Kinda just ignored it and let Bob and whoever get on with it.
Oh yea - special mention for Bob Wilson. :D

Sean

Post by Sean »

I knew it had to happen, but when Seaman left the club it left me totally disillusioned with the club and football in general. Added to that Adams' and Dixon's retirements the year before. It was starting to feel that Arsenal wasn't Arsenal anymore.

I actually gave up on football for five years and watched Formula One instead. I came back in 2008 and wondered what the fuck happened to the club. Eight miserable years later and almost nothing has changed, apart from two FA Cups. Yes, that's right; I missed the Invincibles season.

Anyway, I have said a few times that I am gutted that DS1 isn't our goalkeeper coach. He was on record several times when he was with us that he wanted to do what Bob Wilson did and coach at the club. Instead, we get Gerry fucking Payton.

No 'artificial positions' for the boys, eh Arsene? :censored:
armchair wrote:Image

No wonder there are so much Oirish on here :lol: 8)

It's a shame that Pat Rice, a club legend - 44 years, man and boy - had to sit there like a mute for 16 years next to The Old Fraud :(

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Agree Seamo played a couple seasons too many but I find it strange with what you posted here about Jenno as we got him at the end of his career and a goodish bit past his best-by date. Having said that, for me Jenno was still a good if not great keeper during his tenure with us, but nowhere near Seamo's quality.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

DB10 don't forget him spilling a regulation distance shot for Chelsea's equaliser at our place when we were cruising in the CL tie.

It was the only genuine goalkeeping mistake I remember him making all season, but he cost us a good 5 or 6 others by haring out, getting kicks charged down, giving away ridiculous penalties etc.

Chips and Chocolate

Post by Chips and Chocolate »

Not been on here in yonks but this is a great thread!
Last edited by Chips and Chocolate on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

armchair

Post by armchair »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Agree Seamo played a couple seasons too many but I find it strange with what you posted here about Jenno as we got him at the end of his career and a goodish bit past his best-by date. Having said that, for me Jenno was still a good if not great keeper during his tenure with us, but nowhere near Seamo's quality.
I know and I did say Seamen was our best ever keeper but big Pat is just one of those players I really liked. Played during the time of the three FA Cup finals of the late 70's. Just a different era. Loved how quiet, gentle-spoken and unassuming he was but yet commanded his box so well.
Used to come and catch the ball with one hand fcuk sake.
I have the same kind of illogical man-love for Brian Talbot too. :oops:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Sean

Post by Sean »

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Memories now what year was it when the great Liam Brady scored that beauty at the swamp when we beat the scum 5-0, what a fantastic player he was.

augie

Post by augie »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:

He was just ice cold under pressure. Nobody ever got him rattled and that was what made him so good. He was also completely focused on his role and never distracted. Having said that, Wanker did let him go on for two or three seasons too long and by keeping him as number 1, he created a huge problem for the club which has still not really been solved. Back in 1998, Maninnger was in the form of his life and got dropped, he could have been a decent keeper had he been given a chance and not had his confidence destroyed by being dropped and always having to be a back-up. Perhaps the same could be said for Richard Wright or perhaps it's just Wanker being rubbish with keepers.

That was the biggest issue for me and when I started to turn against him - we are all quick to recognise when a manager is past his sell by date, and we have no probs lambasting said manager for allowing it to continue, and the same scenario applies here. Manninger was outstanding in the 1998 title run in, and it was an absolute disgrace when he was dropped for an already declining seaman :evil: :evil:
Unlike many of you, I have no real qualms with seaman not getting a coaching gig with us and I hope that he never does - the world and it's mother knew that he was well past his sell by date when the club offered him a coaching job the following season, but this arrogant ponytailed cock thought that he knew better and fcuked off to play with citeeh instead of accepting a job with us. I was absolutely delighted when he fcuked up against us the following season in maine road as it helped us to a 2-1 win :barscarf: