Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

Post by StuartL »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:watching old skool videos of days when our support wasn't an absolute joke and trying to shut out images of ty and "heavy d"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb8qrW1RiHQ

oh to be a part of that :cry: :barscarf:

Was there for the Liverpool match at Villa Park and celebrated our goal on top of the Liverpool dugout :barscarf:

This was the game where Dalglish had a sarnie thrown at him (which he threw back) and the papers reported it as a bottle or can or some such object.. :roll:
Small provincial grounds we used to take over, like Southampton, Ipswich, Norwich - Arsenal all over the place, loved our away days in the late 80's .

Sean

Post by Sean »

I envy any Gooner who went to games between 1986-91 :( :oops:

Sean

Post by Sean »

phpBB [video]

:barscarf: 8)

Clash

Post by Clash »

StuartL wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:watching old skool videos of days when our support wasn't an absolute joke and trying to shut out images of ty and "heavy d"

Was there for the Liverpool match at Villa Park and celebrated our goal on top of the Liverpool dugout :barscarf:

This was the game where Dalglish had a sarnie thrown at him (which he threw back) and the papers reported it as a bottle or can or some such object.. :roll:
Small provincial grounds we used to take over, like Southampton, Ipswich, Norwich - Arsenal all over the place, loved our away days in the late 80's .
My memories of that 3rd replay were that we were outplayed. Watching it again though, although Liverpool were the better side, our players really competed in terms of effort and desire and its an absorbing game to watch. It shows what a great competition this was. Both clubs took a good support to that game too. How many do you think we had there Stuart? Around 12,000 maybe?

Clash

Post by Clash »

We played Liverpool 6 times in that 88/89 season. (W2 D3 L1)

That includes the Mercantile Credit Trophy semi final (a one-off cup celebrating 100 years of Football League). Getting to the final meant another game at Villa Park - this time against Man United. I was there for that one. The only time I stood on the Holte End.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7yKzFcwyiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wGxYTe0J8

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

StuartL wrote:

yeah me too...and not forgetting all midlands grounds...Wolves, Leicester, Villa...etc

times change, interesting Arsenal not pushing for safe standing.....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
StuartL wrote:

yeah me too...and not forgetting all midlands grounds...Wolves, Leicester, Villa...etc

times change, interesting Arsenal not pushing for safe standing.....

and Coventry where we always had good support....remember being locked out once with there mob lurking up the road...and the old bill let us in with no tickets.....also a pitch invasion fuck knows when that was.....

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:

My memories of that 3rd replay were that we were outplayed. Watching it again though, although Liverpool were the better side, our players really competed in terms of effort and desire and its an absorbing game to watch. It shows what a great competition this was. Both clubs took a good support to that game too. How many do you think we had there Stuart? Around 12,000 maybe?
No idea really my memory fades day by day.

One of my favourite matches that season was the first match at Anfield, where we had the whole end behind the goal, outplayed and outsung them - and had a winning goal chalked off.
I believe the way we outplayed them set the foundation and the belief for 26/5/89 just a few months after. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Last edited by StuartL on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

augie

Post by augie »

Sean wrote:
phpBB [video]

:barscarf: 8)
#

GG :bowing21: :bowing21: :bowing21:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

StuartL wrote:
Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:

One of my favourite matches that season was the first match at Anfield, where we had the whole end behind the goal, outplayed and outsung them - and had a winning goal chalked off.
I believe the way we outplayed them set the foundation and the belief for 26/6/89 just a few months after. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Better edit again Stuart unless something happened in late June '89 that you know about but I don't! :wink:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Red Snapper wrote:
StuartL wrote:
Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:

I believe the way we outplayed them set the foundation and the belief for 26/5/89 just a few months after. :barscarf: :barscarf:
Better edit again Stuart unless something happened in late June '89 that you know about but I don't! :wink:
What you talking about Wilis ? :wink:

Sean

Post by Sean »

Just came across this:

Nice photo of the old boys. Looks like c.1991.

:barscarf:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

Sean wrote:Just came across this:

Great photo, even if it is at the shithole :!: (we won the league there you know :wink: )

Most of the 71 double team, with big Willie Young thrown in for good measure.

Cant place the keeper mind

Definitely the 91 kit

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

No Charlie George??!! :shock:

Deffo 91 kit, one of my favourite Arsenal kits of all time. :barscarf: 8)

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Great photo :barscarf:

shame GG is in it though at least he felt at home at scum hart lane though i guess