Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
armchair

Re: Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

Post by armchair »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

armchair

Post by armchair »

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Small thing maybe, but yesterday the funeral took place in Wallsend Newcastle of a Mrs Cassidy.. Mrs Cassidy was 90 and had worked as a tea lady for Newcastle United FC for over 50 years..At St Jamses' Park and the training ground..Many ex players were there remembering a lady who was a mother to them..The TV camera panned onto two wreaths, one from Sunderland FC and one from Arsenal FC thanking Mrs Cassidy for her hospitality... There are fleeting moments that I feel our club has retained some of its class..

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

armchair wrote:1978 FA Cup semi v L. Orient. 39yrs ago today :shock:

Wow brings back memories all my mums family are Orient fans and my dad (a Gooner) went with them to watch the game but in with the Orient fans.... I was very young and no one told me they were going till after, i was devastated :( :D

Clash

Post by Clash »

armchair wrote:1978 FA Cup semi v L. Orient. 39yrs ago today :shock:

Hard to believe that shithole was used for a semi final venue.

Not sure when it was but when they first went back to being called Leyton Orient I couldn't get used to it. Now it looks funny just seeing them called Orient.

Pete on the beach

Post by Pete on the beach »

Don't know where else to stick this , so apologies mods if it's in the wrong place

Of course one of the things that is helping me get Arsenal out of my system after 50 odd years ( I'm still hoping it is a temporary condition although if Wenger stays it may prove harder to come back to the fold in time) is the wonderful distraction of my local club who can effectively seal promotion tomorrow with a win over Wigan. My wife and I shall be at the Amex to hopefully see them do it ( the GD Is 30 odd in our favour so it is done), it's exactly 20 years since the Albion got a last day 1-1 at Hereford to stay in the football league in the same year the club lost the goldstone ground and faced a precarious future. It's highly probable that had the gone out of the league that day they would have folded. speaking to friends/ fans it's an emotional day tomorrow ( or subsequent game if they go up then) and even though I'm only on 'loan' from Arsenal as a fan , I'm caught up in the community spirit and can't help but feel pride in the clubs achievement.

Even more weird in this strange time is my affection for a wonderful manager who happens to be a Spurs legend of 13 odd years . What was it Tony Adams once said about a "weird science"?

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Pete on the beach wrote:Don't know where else to stick this , so apologies mods if it's in the wrong place

Of course one of the things that is helping me get Arsenal out of my system after 50 odd years ( I'm still hoping it is a temporary condition although if Wenger stays it may prove harder to come back to the fold in time) is the wonderful distraction of my local club who can effectively seal promotion tomorrow with a win over Wigan. My wife and I shall be at the Amex to hopefully see them do it ( the GD Is 30 odd in our favour so it is done), it's exactly 20 years since the Albion got a last day 1-1 at Hereford to stay in the football league in the same year the club lost the goldstone ground and faced a precarious future. It's highly probable that had the gone out of the league that day they would have folded. speaking to friends/ fans it's an emotional day tomorrow ( or subsequent game if they go up then) and even though I'm only on 'loan' from Arsenal as a fan , I'm caught up in the community spirit and can't help but feel pride in the clubs achievement.

Even more weird in this strange time is my affection for a wonderful manager who happens to be a Spurs legend of 13 odd years . What was it Tony Adams once said about a "weird science"?
I remember Brighton facing the drop and facing liquidation and losing their ground all at the same time. I think it was the first time an established name was facing that fate. Aldershot had gone a few years earlier but Brighton were seen as a bigger name and more established club. It's good to see them hopefully getting back to the top flight because their fans have been through a lot and actually deserve some success. They've been to the brink, they've been homeless and they've survived to come back stronger. Right now, it's Leyton Orient and Coventry heading down the same road and only time will tell what happens with them but it will be good to see Brighton in the top flight; a new name and a new ground and a change from teams like Hull or Middlesbrough coming up every couple of years.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Pete on the beach wrote:Don't know where else to stick this , so apologies mods if it's in the wrong place

I think Tony may have been Referring to Kelly Lebrock

Sean

Post by Sean »

A mate of mine is a Brighton fan and I'm happy for him. Even if he slags me off for wanting TOF out. He even sent me that video those Orient fans did ripping the piss out of us. I always end off going off on one about TOF and although he has agreed with me at times, he's another of those who say '88 clubs would love to be in your shoes'. I keep telling him it's all relative, FFS! I expect us to do our best to challenge at the bare minimum, which we have not done for a decade. Everyone with a brain knows TOF is a busted flush and is harming us with his lack of management and tactics.

Anyway, Brighton have all the infrastructure in place and have been like how we used to be as regards their dealings and renovations - A Championship version of Arsenal. I look forward to them coming up. I can see them doing a Southampton/Swansea/Bournemouth and staying up too.

phpBB [video]

Babu

Post by Babu »

Pete on the beach wrote: even though I'm only on 'loan' from Arsenal as a fan , I'm caught up in the community spirit and can't help but feel pride in the clubs achievement.
Oi Pete, where's your "wenger out" banner?

Well done mate, enjoy it

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sean wrote:A mate of mine is a Brighton fan and I'm happy for him. Even if he slags me off for wanting TOF out. He even sent me that video those Orient fans did ripping the piss out of us. I always end off going off on one about TOF and although he has agreed with me at times, he's another of those who say '88 clubs would love to be in your shoes'. I keep telling him it's all relative, FFS! I expect us to do our best to challenge at the bare minimum, which we have not done for a decade. Everyone with a brain knows TOF is a busted flush and is harming us with his lack of management and tactics.

Anyway, Brighton have all the infrastructure in place and have been like how we used to be as regards their dealings and renovations - A Championship version of Arsenal. I look forward to them coming up. I can see them doing a Southampton/Swansea/Bournemouth and staying up too.

phpBB [video]
The Brighton goalscorer that day, Garry Nelson used to take my football team (Ashingdon Boys) training sessions for a season when he played for Southend - he was a genuine decent guy. He also saw me in the crowd away at Orient one Saturday and had a chat as he was waiting to take a throw In.

armchair

Post by armchair »

Brighton away :barscarf:

:gayflag:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Willie Young 1979

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Sean wrote:A mate of mine is a Brighton fan and I'm happy for him. Even if he slags me off for wanting TOF out. He even sent me that video those Orient fans did ripping the piss out of us. I always end off going off on one about TOF and although he has agreed with me at times, he's another of those who say '88 clubs would love to be in your shoes'. I keep telling him it's all relative, FFS! I expect us to do our best to challenge at the bare minimum, which we have not done for a decade. Everyone with a brain knows TOF is a busted flush and is harming us with his lack of management and tactics.

phpBB [video]
Happy days - was there that day :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Caring about a domestic cup.....how old skool eh? If only I knew then that years of scraping into the qualification spots for the Be All and End All were waiting for me, I would have saved my energy