Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nick Bendtners Ego

Re: Arsenal - thanks for the memories.....

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

augie wrote:
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
armchair wrote:Yea Seamo was top quality in his prime. Best keeper Ive seen.
Unfortunately Wenger let him go on way past his best to the point that I used to get worried that anything above head height and on target was goin in over his head.

I could never understand why Wenger didnt replace him sooner and this used to frustrate the fuck outta me, even back then.

First keeper I seen was Jimmy Rimmer. Favourit all time keeper - big Pat Jennings
:barscarf:
He was just ice cold under pressure. Nobody ever got him rattled and that was what made him so good. He was also completely focused on his role and never distracted. Having said that, Wanker did let him go on for two or three seasons too long and by keeping him as number 1, he created a huge problem for the club which has still not really been solved. Back in 1998, Maninnger was in the form of his life and got dropped, he could have been a decent keeper had he been given a chance and not had his confidence destroyed by being dropped and always having to be a back-up. Perhaps the same could be said for Richard Wright or perhaps it's just Wanker being rubbish with keepers.

That was the biggest issue for me and when I started to turn against him - we are all quick to recognise when a manager is past his sell by date, and we have no probs lambasting said manager for allowing it to continue, and the same scenario applies here. Manninger was outstanding in the 1998 title run in, and it was an absolute disgrace when he was dropped for an already declining seaman :evil: :evil:
Unlike many of you, I have no real qualms with seaman not getting a coaching gig with us and I hope that he never does - the world and it's mother knew that he was well past his sell by date when the club offered him a coaching job the following season, but this arrogant ponytailed cock thought that he knew better and fcuked off to play with citeeh instead of accepting a job with us. I was absolutely delighted when he fcuked up against us the following season in maine road as it helped us to a 2-1 win :barscarf:
Fully deserved his league winners medal after he was given dispensation despite not making the required number of games. Remember thinking at the time we were fucked without Seamen but Manninger was immense when he came in and also helped us through to cup semi after penalty shoot out against West Ham. Damn good keeper that should have been at the club a lot longer than he was. Just signed as a third choice keeper for the red scousers the other day apparently.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Unfortunately Wenger let him go on way past his best to the point that I used to get worried that anything above head height and on target was goin in over his head.

I could never understand why Wenger didnt replace him sooner and this used to frustrate the fuck outta me, even back then.

First keeper I seen was Jimmy Rimmer. Favourit all time keeper - big Pat Jennings
He was just ice cold under pressure. Nobody ever got him rattled and that was what made him so good. He was also completely focused on his role and never distracted. Having said that, Wanker did let him go on for two or three seasons too long and by keeping him as number 1, he created a huge problem for the club which has still not really been solved. Back in 1998, Maninnger was in the form of his life and got dropped, he could have been a decent keeper had he been given a chance and not had his confidence destroyed by being dropped and always having to be a back-up. Perhaps the same could be said for Richard Wright or perhaps it's just Wanker being rubbish with keepers.

That was the biggest issue for me and when I started to turn against him - we are all quick to recognise when a manager is past his sell by date, and we have no probs lambasting said manager for allowing it to continue, and the same scenario applies here. Manninger was outstanding in the 1998 title run in, and it was an absolute disgrace when he was dropped for an already declining seaman :evil: :evil:
Unlike many of you, I have no real qualms with seaman not getting a coaching gig with us and I hope that he never does - the world and it's mother knew that he was well past his sell by date when the club offered him a coaching job the following season, but this arrogant ponytailed cock thought that he knew better and fcuked off to play with citeeh instead of accepting a job with us. I was absolutely delighted when he fcuked up against us the following season in maine road as it helped us to a 2-1 win :barscarf:
That's a bit harsh, augie. All players say that the hardest thing to do in football is to finally call it a day, and many many players try to play as long as they can. And you know what most of them miss the most? The banter, the camaraderie on a day to day basis on the training ground and in the dressing room at matches. I'm talking about that older generation there, I'm sure most of today's mercenary cúnt players will only miss the money. I don't blame any player of Seamo's generation that tried to drag it out.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

That's a bit harsh, augie. All players say that the hardest thing to do in football is to finally call it a day, and many many players try to play as long as they can. And you know what most of them miss the most? The banter, the camaraderie on a day to day basis on the training ground and in the dressing room at matches. I'm talking about that older generation there, I'm sure most of today's mercenary cúnt players will only miss the money. I don't blame any player of Seamo's generation that tried to drag it out.

Absolutely couldn't agree more and that is why I still play a bit of competitive football from time to time even though I am almost 47 :oops:

The thing is though, that if you are a coach then you are still part of that dressing room and still involved in the banter - he could have stayed in the club, probably with a job for life, but sacrificed it by playing one more year when his time was clearly up and all he was gonna do was risk tarnishing a great reputation. Now I don't really have a problem with that per se - what I definitely have a problem with is the assumption that he and some fans have, that he is still entitled to some sort of a coaching gig at AFC - he was given a choice at that time and (much like henry I suppose) chose to opt for other options 8)

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I agree Augie - if these guys want to go in to coaching then there's plenty of opportunities out there in the world. If they want to earn more coin in the likes of China, then fine. And if they want to spend all their time with Jamie rednapp then a bit strange, but their choice.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Just bumping this thread up as it brings back so many amazing memories

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

Chaps my 11 year old nephew had the privilege to have a chat and a photograph taken with the Arsenal legend Bob Wilson at a golf day today that's a memory that will stay with him for years. I am so proud of him he's gonna be a proper Gooner, and what makes it even better is he's old man is a spammer ha ha.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

hertsgunner wrote:Chaps my 11 year old nephew had the privilege to have a chat and a photograph taken with the Arsenal legend Bob Wilson at a golf day today that's a memory that will stay with him for years. I am so proud of him he's gonna be a proper Gooner, and what makes it even better is he's old man is a spammer ha ha.
Nice one - Had the pleasure of meeting Bob doing a legends tour of Highbury with my daughter back in 1996, he was a gent and very much a true Arsenal man.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
hertsgunner wrote:Chaps my 11 year old nephew had the privilege to have a chat and a photograph taken with the Arsenal legend Bob Wilson at a golf day today that's a memory that will stay with him for years. I am so proud of him he's gonna be a proper Gooner, and what makes it even better is he's old man is a spammer ha ha.
Nice one - Had the pleasure of meeting Bob doing a legends tour of Highbury with my daughter back in 1996, he was a gent and very much a true Arsenal man.
Met Bob a few times. Absolute Legend. 8) Myself and the missus met him very briefly on a prematch Friday outside Highbury as we walked past on a weekender in London years ago and he was very charming and nice. Met him once outside the conglomerates on match day when he stopped for a brief chat and photo with me and my mates (and every other group of Gooners within earshot!), and once in a bar in club level at the Conglomerates. Myself and the bro had really cool photos taken with him in the bar after very respectfully disturbing the poor man from his friends and glass of (I think) wine and asking politely if he'd mind posing for a photo. He couldn't have been nicer, an absolute gentleman, chatted away to both of us. That photo is framed on a wall at home. 8)

Also, he's shorter than you'd think for a keeper, I'd say maximum 6 foot on the button. :shock:

wibble

Post by wibble »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Also, he's shorter than you'd think for a keeper, I'd say maximum 6 foot, I was level with his belly button. :shock:
Nice of him to stoop down for photos with you :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Also, he's shorter than you'd think for a keeper, I'd say maximum 6 foot, I was level with his belly button. :shock:
Nice of him to stoop down for photos with you :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Sean

Post by Sean »

phpBB [video]

Back when we used to pass forwards and shoot on a regular basis 8)

Sean

Post by Sean »

Don't let this thread off the first page, dammit! :banghead:

phpBB [video]

If you need an antidote for those 'chopped onions', check this :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Wrong fcuking thread :oops: :oops: :banghead: :banghead:

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

watching old skool videos of days when our support wasn't an absolute joke and trying to shut out images of ty and "heavy d"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb8qrW1RiHQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b41_eSm6SjY

oh to be a part of that :cry: :barscarf:

hertsgunner

Post by hertsgunner »

This thread is a godsend so many great posts on here about the years before our club was taken away from us, we might not have won much then but boy did we have a laugh win, lose or draw. The one thing about then that stands out for me was that out support was top drawer and we were all united in our support for the team. A memory from the 1980s that stands out for me was the league cup quarter final at home against the bin dippers the ground was rammed to the rafters, gates locked with thousands still outside, a couple of mates even got on the North bank roof and watched the match from there. Brilliant nights they were.