The Merged George Graham Superthread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: The Merged George Graham Superthread!

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:
Herd wrote:Sorry mate had to delete all of that. The word "allegedly" isn't a free pass for possibly libelous speculation. If a party involved has said it publicly we can quote it, but we can't post rumours of financial misdealings etc on here.

-DB10
Fair enough cunty bollix dont want to get us in the poo ! :shock: :lol: :barscarf:

While im on Ive been meaning to ask what the Irish contingent think of Mrs Browns Boys only most I know over here think its insulting although 1 or 2 find it funny !
Mrs Browns Boys is chronically unfunny. Just really shit badly written lame attempt at comedy. Not really insulting though as we Oirish can laugh at ourselves (Father Ted anyone??!!). :lol:

Having said that if you call my mate Paulo "Paddy" you are sleeping on the concrete. :lol: :wink:
Mrs Brown's Boys is a desperately unfunny attempt at slapstick humour delivered in a style that is better suited to CBBC. It appeals to the lowest common denominator which is the only way I can explain why it's so popular. Father Ted was comedy genius which still stands up twenty years later.
P.S. I'm not Oirish but my wife is so I can have an opinion on this!
P.P.S. Am I the only one who didn't find Victoria Wood remotely funny?
Yeah, Father Ted was brilliant. I still watch re-runs of it whenever it is on. Three of my favourite quotes (from literally dozens);

Ted explaining to Dougal the difference between a toy cow and cows outside in a field;
"OK, one last time. These are small… but the ones out there are far away. Small… far away…."

Ted helping Dougal remember the "Our Father":
Father Dougal: Our Father, who art in heaven…
Father Ted: Hallowed.
Father Dougal: Hallowed be thy...
Father Ted: Name.
Father Dougal: Papa don’t preach…

Dougal talking about Gianni Versace, saying:
"You remember that fella, who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?"

:lol: 8)

I too thought Victoria Wood was not funny. Her humour was too smug and contrived. Her humour always struck me as her saying "look at me trying to be clever".

Herd

Post by Herd »

Now I know that comedy is subjective BUT my mrs who loves mrs browns boys n makes me watch it when im not surfing the russian amputee dating sites !

It leaves me cold.

Real Life is probably the best comedy out there right now !

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:
Herd wrote:Sorry mate had to delete all of that. The word "allegedly" isn't a free pass for possibly libelous speculation. If a party involved has said it publicly we can quote it, but we can't post rumours of financial misdealings etc on here.

-DB10
Fair enough cunty bollix dont want to get us in the poo ! :shock: :lol: :barscarf:

While im on Ive been meaning to ask what the Irish contingent think of Mrs Browns Boys only most I know over here think its insulting although 1 or 2 find it funny !
Mrs Browns Boys is chronically unfunny. Just really shit badly written lame attempt at comedy. Not really insulting though as we Oirish can laugh at ourselves (Father Ted anyone??!!). :lol:

Having said that if you call my mate Paulo "Paddy" you are sleeping on the concrete. :lol: :wink:
Mrs Brown's Boys is a desperately unfunny attempt at slapstick humour delivered in a style that is better suited to CBBC. It appeals to the lowest common denominator which is the only way I can explain why it's so popular. Father Ted was comedy genius which still stands up twenty years later.
Yeah, Father Ted was brilliant. I still watch re-runs of it whenever it is on. Three of my favourite quotes (from literally dozens);

Ted explaining to Dougal the difference between a toy cow and cows outside in a field;
"OK, one last time. These are small… but the ones out there are far away. Small… far away…."

I too thought Victoria Wood was not funny. Her humour was too smug and contrived. Her humour always struck me as her saying "look at me trying to be clever".
Spot on. Should I be worried that we agree so fully??! Do you think that Emma Thompson always looks like she's acting when she's acting (no suspension of disbelief)? Thoughts on Lilly Allen? What was this thread about????

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Red Snapper wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
Herd wrote:

Spot on. Should I be worried that we agree so fully??! Do you think that Emma Thompson always looks like she's acting when she's acting (no suspension of disbelief)? Thoughts on Lilly Allen? What was this thread about????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Answers;
Yes.
Yes.
Liked a couple of her songs but not really my taste.
Christ alone knows.

:wink:

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

Herd wrote:Now I know that comedy is subjective BUT my mrs who loves mrs browns boys n makes me watch it when im not surfing the russian amputee dating sites !

It leaves me cold.

Real Life is probably the best comedy out there right now !

I thought nut flush had banned you from his websites?

Herd

Post by Herd »

I think flush is a fantacist who dreams of bieng a big business tycoon and vegas card player but actually works in the local council office and spends his money in the arcade where he eats his home made sarnies and drinks mums soup from his thermos flask.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I think it's time to look at our history a little. In 1986 we were going nowhere very very fast. 1971 was our last title and we were kind of where Everton are now. A big club in history terms but long ago.
Dein brings Graham in at a time when our youth squad is very good. Graham scouts the lower league and gets Dixon and Winterburn. Adams is young but so good although he gets a donkey tag. Bould is also purchased. His first 2 years in charge he made it look easy to assemble a defence that would dominate for the next 15 years.
You all know we did the impossible in 1989 and then were unreal in 1991. After Rocky and Thomas left we were poor in midfield.
What's the point to this post you are asking, well Wenger had an easy job when he arrived in 1996. His first 4 signings were all the club needed to be Champions based on what Graham had built.
Wenger was always useless at buying defenders and gave up on the one position that was vital to success after Vieira was sold. If you add that he also failed to sign a decent keeper no wonder the last 10 years have been shit. Without Graham Wenger would have won nothing here.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:I think it's time to look at our history a little. In 1986 we were going nowhere very very fast. 1971 was our last title and we were kind of where Everton are now. A big club in history terms but long ago.
Dein brings Graham in at a time when our youth squad is very good. Graham scouts the lower league and gets Dixon and Winterburn. Adams is young but so good although he gets a donkey tag. Bould is also purchased. His first 2 years in charge he made it look easy to assemble a defence that would dominate for the next 15 years.
You all know we did the impossible in 1989 and then were unreal in 1991. After Rocky and Thomas left we were poor in midfield.
What's the point to this post you are asking, well Wenger had an easy job when he arrived in 1996. His first 4 signings were all the club needed to be Champions based on what Graham had built.
Wenger was always useless at buying defenders and gave up on the one position that was vital to success after Vieira was sold. If you add that he also failed to sign a decent keeper no wonder the last 10 years have been shit. Without Graham Wenger would have won nothing here.
Whilst I do agree totally that Wenger benefited hugely from GG's back 4 in 1998 and even 2002, I don't agree he'd have had no success without them. The Invincibles defence Campbell, Toure, Lauren and Cuntley A-Hole were all Wenger men. Even the last defensive left over from the GG days Keown only scraped 10 appearances in 2004, the last of which was a gesture by Wenger to get him enough caps for a PL winners medal. That 2004 defence that went unbeaten in the PL was all Wenger's.

Let's not get too revisionist, mate.

supergeorgegraham

DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:I think it's time to look at our history a little. In 1986 we were going nowhere very very fast. 1971 was our last title and we were kind of where Everton are now. A big club in history terms but long ago.
Whilst I do agree totally that Wenger benefited hugely from GG's back 4 in 1998 and even 2002, I don't agree he'd have had no success without them. The Invincibles defence Campbell, Toure, Lauren and Cuntley A-Hole were all Wenger men. Even the last defensive left over from the GG days Keown only scraped 10 appearances in 2004, the last of which was a gesture by Wenger to get him enough caps for a PL winners medal. That 2004 defence that went unbeaten in the PL was all Wenger's.

I agree he got it right once and I should have stated that but just how many useless defenders have been signed by this man. As I said it took Graham just 2 years to create a masterpiece that lasted years.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I agree he got it right once and I should have stated that but just how many useless defenders have been signed by this man. As I said it took Graham just 2 years to create a masterpiece that lasted years.
Yeah very true, mate. Our defenders have been appalling for a decade now. When I compare the current crop with GG's back 4 not one of them would get in it. Not even as a sub. :|

supergeorgegraham

I just watched the Rocky meet Wright Documentary. That was the real Arsenal the one I grew up with and loved. This modern rubbish is beyond a joke. Just see what Rocky was doing versus what Ozil has done. It's just money now and no love for wearing the shirt.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

supergeorgegraham wrote:I just watched the Rocky meet Wright Documentary. That was the real Arsenal the one I grew up with and loved. This modern rubbish is beyond a joke. Just see what Rocky was doing versus what Ozil has done. It's just money now and no love for wearing the shirt.
All true. The day of the one club player is long gone. Ozil is a great footballer, a massively talented player that is too good for most of the players around him, but he does not give one half fuck about Arsenal. None of his team mates do either. No modern players give a shit about their clubs. It's all about the money, their social media presence and keeping everyone onside so they can get a punditry career when they retire.

I look back on my late teens/early 20's during the GG era when I could finally afford to go to games and it was a fantastic time for me. I loved going to games. When you walked out of Arsenal tube stop there was a buzz in the air. We had genuine supporters, people that sacrificed their time and hard earned money to support the club they loved, not just turn late up to a PL "event" and then sit there silently playing with their iPhone, before pissing off early. :roll: :x

The team, the club, the players, all seemed closer to us the supporters, with pride in the shirt and that die hard no one likes us attitude we had. I always got the impression that most of the players under GG knew they were lucky to be at a club like The Arsenal. And they were fucking right.

Now all we have is mercenary millionaire players that don't give a fuck about the club, our history or traditions.

I miss my Arsenal. :(

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:I just watched the Rocky meet Wright Documentary. That was the real Arsenal the one I grew up with and loved. This modern rubbish is beyond a joke. Just see what Rocky was doing versus what Ozil has done. It's just money now and no love for wearing the shirt.
All true. The day of the one club player is long gone. Ozil is a great footballer, a massively talented player that is too good for most of the players around him, but he does not give one half fuck about Arsenal. None of his team mates do either. No modern players give a shit about their clubs. It's all about the money, their social media presence and keeping everyone onside so they can get a punditry career when they retire.

I look back on my late teens/early 20's during the GG era when I could finally afford to go to games and it was a fantastic time for me. I loved going to games. When you walked out of Arsenal tube stop there was a buzz in the air. We had genuine supporters, people that sacrificed their time and hard earned money to support the club they loved, not just turn late up to a PL "event" and then sit there silently playing with their iPhone, before pissing off early. :roll: :x

The team, the club, the players, all seemed closer to us the supporters, with pride in the shirt and that die hard no one likes us attitude we had. I always got the impression that most of the players under GG knew they were lucky to be at a club like The Arsenal. And they were fucking right.

Now all we have is mercenary millionaire players that don't give a fuck about the club, our history or traditions.

I miss my Arsenal. :(
All of the above, I loved going to Highbury, the fresh air and daylight leaving the Tube Station. The stalls selling their cheapest merchandise, the noise as people made their way to the cafes and pub..The smell of burgers mixing with the smell of horse manure.. Walking around to Avenall Rd and honestly never getting tired of looking at the majesty of the main entrance. Commissionsire on the steps..Thinking to myself all my friends back home in Ireland support Liverpool (then) because they are sucessful or Celtic because they are Catholic, but this is my Club because we have class.I have always believed that There are players who play(ed) for Arsenal and there are Arsenal players.. Rocky. Adams etc are the latter..

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

In a desperate bid to try and re-educate my fellow mod Flash McNostrils and slap the GG-hatred out of him, I will bump this glorious thread dedicated to the Arsenal Legend George Graham. You can all thank me later, bitches. 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The fact he went to Tottenham and won a trophy just shows how good a manager he was. It was the ultimate two fingers to the Arsenal board who sacked and the spuds fans who hated him. That should increase his legendary status not diminish it.
We haven't won a league title without any of the players he coached, (2004 Keown and Parlour).