The Merged George Graham Superthread!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: The Merged George Graham Superthread!

Post by Bradywasking »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 am
The fact he went to Tottenham and won a trophy just shows how good a manager he was. It was the ultimate two fingers to the Arsenal board who sacked and the spuds fans who hated him. That should increase his legendary status not diminish it.
We haven't won a league title without any of the players he coached, (2004 Keown and Parlour).
You could extend that and say Arsenal haven't won a league title without some George Graham influence (player, manager or players he coached/managed) since 1952/53..

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

He left Leeds in good shape for Oleary and did well at Spurs and then decided to leave management.
I'm sure he would have been a success at any club he managed. What he did for Arsenal was amazing and knew how to sign great players from various leagues.
Replacing Nicolas with Alan Smith was just the start of his genius.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Makes me laugh on here - people lauding GG for all he did for the club (and rightly so by the way) but if Arsenal dared to appoint a manager these days who didn't come with extensive experience of managing in Europe, people would be up in arms.

When he joined us he'd managed in the old Third Division, and got Millwall promoted to the Second Division. He hadn't even managed in the top flight! If we appointed someone like Chris Wilder from Sheffield United who'd taken his team up from League 1 to 3rd in the Championship, the snobby modern day superfan would bemoan his lack of experience and "managing in Europe". I always reverse that argument and think how Pep Guardiola would do managing Sheffield United in League 1 - good luck with the tiki taka!

Not enough chances given to British managers these days.

"Football's changed" :D

Funny - last time I looked it was about signing the right players, coaching them the right way, having tactical nous and motivational skills and being able to adapt to counter your opponents strengths. Bit like it was in 1986 really

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:54 am
Makes me laugh on here - people lauding GG for all he did for the club (and rightly so by the way) but if Arsenal dared to appoint a manager these days who didn't come with extensive experience of managing in Europe, people would be up in arms.

When he joined us he'd managed in the old Third Division, and got Millwall promoted to the Second Division. He hadn't even managed in the top flight! If we appointed someone like Chris Wilder from Sheffield United who'd taken his team up from League 1 to 3rd in the Championship, the snobby modern day superfan would bemoan his lack of experience and "managing in Europe". I always reverse that argument and think how Pep Guardiola would do managing Sheffield United in League 1 - good luck with the tiki taka!

Funny - last time I looked it was about signing the right players, coaching them the right way, having tactical nous and motivational skills and being able to adapt to counter your opponents strengths. Bit like it was in 1986 really
Nice post mate, you make some great points.

The reverse argument thing is something I think people dont mention enough. LaughingGooner was on here last week saying 'thank god we didnt appoint Koeman in the summer' ... but does he think Wenger could have done a better job with that Everton team and Koeman would have done worse with this Arsenal team? It doesn't work like that necessarily.

I was one of those who would have taken David Moyes in 2013-14 when he went to Man United. Time might have proved me wrong. On the other hand just because he failed at Old Trafford and was sacked doesnt mean he would have been just as bad a choice for Arsenal. I'm not saying he was the long term solution and I dont think we'd win the PL and CL with him, but Moyes still might have been exactly what we needed at that time. We had some good players .... but they lacked discipline, aggression and they didnt play with enough tempo. All things Moyes' teams tend to have. Whether our mollycoddled little flowers would have responded to some hard work is debatable though.

I'd happily take a manager from the lower leagues right now like we did with Graham. To be honest my judgement is clouded by the fact that I'd take anyone just to get rid of Wenger.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clash wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:43 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

The reverse argument thing is something I think people dont mention enough. LaughingGooner was on here last week saying 'thank god we didnt appoint Koeman in the summer' ... but does he think Wenger could have done a better job with that Everton team and Koeman would have done worse with this Arsenal team? It doesn't work like that necessarily.

I was one of those who would have taken David Moyes in 2013-14 when he went to Man United. Time might have proved me wrong. On the other hand just because he failed at Old Trafford and was sacked doesnt mean he would have been just as bad a choice for Arsenal. I'm not saying he was the long term solution and I dont think we'd win the PL and CL with him, but Moyes still might have been exactly what we needed at that time. We had some good players .... but they lacked discipline, aggression and they didnt play with enough tempo. All things Moyes' teams tend to have. Whether our mollycoddled little flowers would have responded to some hard work is debatable though.

I'd happily take a manager from the lower leagues right now like we did with Graham. To be honest my judgement is clouded by the fact that I'd take anyone just to get rid of Wenger.
Agree with all of that mate. DB10 was rubbishing Dyche this week too. I guarantee if an Italian manager had come over here and got a team like Burnley promoted, and then gone to Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton and picked up 2 wins and 2 draws and barely conceded a goal, people would be lauding him as some sort of tactical genius because English football doesn't have that sort of defensive discipline. An English manager does it and its boring, limited football from the dark ages! If our Lord and Master goes to all 4 of those places this season and comes away unbeaten I'll eat my fucking "I luv AW" hat. Oh sorry, he won't because we've already been fucking rinsed 4-0 by one of them

The bloke who went to Hull last year - Silva or whatever his name was - only had to pick up a few points and people were calling him a genius. So much of a genius they got fucking hammered by Fat Sam's Palace and went down anyway.

Guardiola and Van Gaal were both afforded riches that weren't given to their predecessors and did either of them win (or even remotely compete for) the PL and CL?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:56 am
Clash wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Agree with all of that mate. DB10 was rubbishing Dyche this week too. I guarantee if an Italian manager had come over here and got a team like Burnley promoted, and then gone to Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and Everton and picked up 2 wins and 2 draws and barely conceded a goal, people would be lauding him as some sort of tactical genius because English football doesn't have that sort of defensive discipline. An English manager does it and its boring, limited football from the dark ages! If our Lord and Master goes to all 4 of those places this season and comes away unbeaten I'll eat my fucking "I luv AW" hat. Oh sorry, he won't because we've already been fucking rinsed 4-0 by one of them

The bloke who went to Hull last year - Silva or whatever his name was - only had to pick up a few points and people were calling him a genius. So much of a genius they got fucking hammered by Fat Sam's Palace and went down anyway.

Guardiola and Van Gaal were both afforded riches that weren't given to their predecessors and did either of them win (or even remotely compete for) the PL and CL?
:unionjack: ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ RULE BRITANNIA! BRITANNIA RULES THE DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES - oops! :unionjack:

Dyche is shite. Deal with it. He's Martin O'Neill and Fat Sam rolled into one fat balding ginger cúnt. :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clash wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

:unionjack: ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ RULE BRITANNIA! BRITANNIA RULES THE DEUTSCHLAND UBER ALLES - oops! :unionjack:

Dyche is shite. Deal with it. He's Martin O'Neill and Fat Sam rolled into one fat balding ginger DAY WALKER cúnt. :lol:
:shock:

:?

FFS DB What on earth is going on, yer feckin' slippin' dude...Normally you would NEVER EVER, EVER miss a chance to call a ginercunt a day walker.....

Signed

A concerned forum member.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Interesting discussion this, other than Moanhinio and OGL in his first 8 years or so how many recentish overseas managers have had real success in multiple years in the PL? Also whats the ratio of British managers in say the last 20 years going overseas and having real success in top divisions.

It begs the question what is so difficult or different about the PL? :rubchin:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I sthis the merged George Graham Superthread or is it The Superthread of George Graham that got Merged? :?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:37 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Clash wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Dyche is shite. Deal with it. He's Martin O'Neill and Fat Sam rolled into one fat balding ginger DAY WALKER cúnt. :lol:

:?

FFS DB What on earth is going on, yer feckin' slippin' dude...Normally you would NEVER EVER, EVER miss a chance to call a ginercunt a day walker.....

Signed

A concerned forum member.
I do apologise old boy. 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

That's quite alright Ya Ickle Oompaah Lumpaah! :lol: :wink: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 am
:lol:

Fucking R2-D2 motherfucker. :box: :censored:

:D :wink:

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Still a sp*rs managing shit

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:18 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 am

Fucking R2-D2 motherfucker. :box: :censored:

:D :wink:

Jeeez I pay you a compliment and you insult me...I mean WTF!?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

flash gunner wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 am
Still a sp*rs managing shit
True.